Has there ever been precedent for requesting an award based thing without the Epic Sacrifice?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TheBlueWizard

Has there ever been precedent for requesting an award based thing without the Epic Sacrifice?

Post by TheBlueWizard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:56 pm

So, sorry if this question has been asked a million times and folk are sick of hearing it/answering it. I'm a super casual player who comes and goes every 2-3 months as and when motivation to play reaches fever point. So, I'm not sure what the current state of a lot things are. I've tried a quick search, but haven't found anything relevant, so...

But like the title says, has there ever been a precedent for getting an award base race/thing just from an application or some other process? Without having to get a character to 30, etc and sack it off?

I only ask, because... well. As I said at the start. I'm a super casual player. Between busy work and life, I don't get a lot of free time to play, so I know my lot in Arelith-server-life as it were has to be relegated down to the role of background character or comedic relief 'one off' moments of RP. I simply don't have the time commitments to try for anything major on the server (in terms of joining factions, making big waves in any circle, etc). But I'm fine with that, and happy with that. I love that type of RP really.

Having said that though, there's some character concepts (namely one) that I'd love to play in this manner, but simply feel like there's a barrier to ever playing simply due to my life circumstances and not having the time/patience/commitment to grind up to 30 and sacrifice characters.

I know it's a selfish thing, and there's obviously a system in place, and special treatment doesn't have to ever be given out, but I'm just curious if there's ever been some manner of ... circumventing (?) is the wrong word, cos it implies some underhand nonsense, but just some polite lenient way to just let someone play a certain race or whatever award thing (within reason, obviously) without the (real) life sacrificing manner of gaining it?

Sorry again if this is a topic that's been exhausted to death.

Amateur Hour

Re: Has there ever been precedent for requesting an award based thing without the Epic Sacrifice?

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:20 pm

My understanding is that Arelith volunteers (contributors, DMs) do get a single free award as a thank-you (I think a greater?) but considering time is a constraining resource for you, I don't think that would be a realistic route for you to take.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Has there ever been precedent for requesting an award based thing without the Epic Sacrifice?

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:02 am

You must have an award to be able to play an award character.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:21 am

Amateur Hour wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:20 pm

My understanding is that Arelith volunteers (contributors, DMs) do get a single free award as a thank-you (I think a greater?) but considering time is a constraining resource for you, I don't think that would be a realistic route for you to take.

wtf where's my bribe award

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:40 am

I'd like to clarify this with the fact that such awards were given out a few years back as christmas gifts. They were one off and variable and whilst we MAY do such again, it's not guaranteed. It's just something we did that one year as a present to our staff for the hard work. It didn't happen last year. Will it happen christmas 2023+? IDK. See how things go. But it's not to be depended on.
We've run a few In Game competitions and such where awards were given out too. But again it's not dependable in any way.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:58 am

I've played on-off Arelith since the beginning (What... 18 years?), never recieved more than a normal.

May as well get used to the idea that you need to create fun without award races :)

It's not a perfect system, but it's probably the least worst.

That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:22 pm

Karris the Anarchist wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:58 am

It's not a perfect system, but it's probably the least worst.

I'd agree with this assessment. And frankly, in my experience, a lot of the character concepts people come up with that strictly require award races simply don't transfer well to a persistent world environment. That's not to say there's something wrong with the characters, but there's realities of the persistent world that mean your character will either be processed as mundane (you're probably not going to be the first tiefling people come across) or your character will face consistent discrimination that will never abate.

The good news is most of these character concepts convert really well to actual D&D tabletops, where being super unusual is normal for PCs.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???