New hear any advice, also are in-game books avalible on the forums ?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

taliazal

New hear any advice, also are in-game books avalible on the forums ?

Post by taliazal » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am

New hear any advice, also are in-game books available on the forums?

I like to read a bit at work and to put together my own RP post based on i-game found books. It is nice to see the text and apply it with my work and research without having to re-write them oocly.

Good Character

Re: New hear any advice, also are in-game books avalible on the forums ?

Post by Good Character » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:32 pm

Currently, no. The closest thing is a player-run lore page that documents Arelith's history from the beginning, but it's definitely not what you're looking for if you want to quote lore books IG.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:18 am

There's the player run Encyclopedia Arelithica, but it doesn't have every book written IG. Other then that, I'm not sure of any other public collections of writings.

https://nwnarelith.com/ea/index.php/Enc ... Arelithica

taliazal

Post by taliazal » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks for the info, would it be ok to consider screen shots of in-game books for some of my posts ?

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:45 pm

taliazal wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks for the info, would it be ok to consider screen shots of in-game books for some of my posts ?

Such depends on the post I think. For example if you are raising a question etc and need it for reference, such would be fine. However , posting a bunch of screen shots for an online record of books on the forum is likely less so.

What idea did you have in mind that would require snips from books if I might ask?

taliazal

Post by taliazal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:28 am

Edens_Fall wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:45 pm
taliazal wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:15 am

Such depends on the post I think. For example if you are raising a question etc and need it for reference, such would be fine. However , posting a bunch of screen shots for an online record of books on the forum is likely less so.

What idea did you have in mind that would require snips from books if I might ask?

Was just planning to show a breakdown of his readings, and personal notes on the books he has found and reads. But also a level of "proof" that they were found in game, and with any luck inspire some RP around his research with others.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:35 am

I've totally forgotten how, but there's a way you can extract the text of items in your character's inventory.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:09 pm

Marsi wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:35 am

I've totally forgotten how, but there's a way you can extract the text of items in your character's inventory.

You can do this by placing things in Enchantment Basins, taking possession, and opening the description editing interface; this will print the description to your chatlog. Books can be easily extracted by putting them in a bookcase and reading them on the bookcase; this will print out the description to your chatlog. Very handy if your characters write a lot or do a lot of custom descriptions and you want a record of what you've done.

taliazal wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:28 am

Was just planning to show a breakdown of his readings, and personal notes on the books he has found and reads. But also a level of "proof" that they were found in game, and with any luck inspire some RP around his research with others.

Three things here:

1. Some books are common. Some books are decidedly uncommon and have had access to them deliberately controlled. If you're referencing books you found in dungeons as loot, then you should be fine posting that stuff, but books in libraries that you've never seen elsewhere is probably best not to post here.

2. If you're writing commentary on a book, we know you've read it. You don't need to post proof.

3. Nothing on the forum is supposed to inspire RP. RP is supposed to inspire RP. If you want your character to get RP out of research, they need to distribute their books IC, organize and hold lectures, start or join a research organization, etc.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???