Change armour appearance

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Feargys

Change armour appearance

Post by Feargys » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:20 pm

Hello folks,

I've just started playing NWN again after many years of absence and have recently joined Arelith. I'm very rusty, with both the mechanics of the game and the dynamics of roleplay, so please be patient with me.

Armour appearance (especially colour) is quite important to my character concept but, try as I might, I can't get to grips with the change armour system under the Rest option. The system is asking me to input a number for colour but I have no idea 1) how to do this and 2) what colours match with each number. Is there a beginner's guide to this process somewhere?

Pereninnion i'Niwl

Ebonstar

Re: Change armour appearance

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:02 pm

go to the wiki at the top of the page and then choose customization and scroll down. it will give you the cloth leather and metal color charts with numbers

Yes I can sign

Feargys

Post by Feargys » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:48 pm

Many thanks

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:43 am

There's two ways to change color in the EE system. You can change all the colors of an outfit using the six color channels available (vanilla style as before), but now you can actually change the colors of individual pieces for a much more detailed outfit if you really want to dive in!

The latter is done by using the rest menu, navigating to that specific piece (right forearm, left shoulder, etc) and then you should see a submenu for color at the top.

There's a longstanding bug with custom outfits like this though. Stoneskin and shadowshield for some reason will recolor outfits you did this way, but it's a visual glitch. Taking the outfit off and just putting back on fixes it.

Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:39 pm

Or you can just use a mirror and scroll through the colours until you find the ones you like.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:25 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:43 am

There's two ways to change color in the EE system. You can change all the colors of an outfit using the six color channels available (vanilla style as before), but now you can actually change the colors of individual pieces for a much more detailed outfit if you really want to dive in!

The latter is done by using the rest menu, navigating to that specific piece (right forearm, left shoulder, etc) and then you should see a submenu for color at the top.

There's a longstanding bug with custom outfits like this though. Stoneskin and shadowshield for some reason will recolor outfits you did this way, but it's a visual glitch. Taking the outfit off and just putting back on fixes it.

the rest menu armor new choice that brings up the new window works so much easier than navigating to a piece. you choose the section, choose its appearance and then color the six parts of it with simple click and color

Yes I can sign

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 pm

Sounds like we're talking about the same thing then...? I'm a bit confused.

Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:55 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 pm

the rest menu has two options

at the top of choosing modify armor you get another gui prompt now that accesses a whole new screen that saves the time from clicking back and forward to change parts. it lets you change both appearance and color on the same screen.

the other way is choosing arms or legs or robe or pelvis etc separately that was always in the rest menu

Yes I can sign

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:04 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:55 pm
Skibbles wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 pm

the rest menu has two options

at the top of choosing modify armor you get another gui prompt now that accesses a whole new screen that saves the time from clicking back and forward to change parts. it lets you change both appearance and color on the same screen.

the other way is choosing arms or legs or robe or pelvis etc separately that was always in the rest menu

Okay hold up. I literally do not see this. Do you have a mod or is this an nui thing by chance?

I go to rest -> appearance -> modify armor -> and I just see the list of things to change. No fancy stuff like this! What am I missing here? Are you sure we aren't talking about the same thing?

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:14 pm

I would say there are three ways:

1. Mirrors. Distorted Mirrors allow you to change the base shape of your various armor parts, and Prismatic Mirrors allow you to color them. You'll find rooms with these in the big settlements; it's sort of softly understood that people are switching up their outfits so it's sort of an OOC zone - handy if you don't own a quarter or have private space to experiment in.

2. Rest menu - old way. This is basically portable Distorted/Prismatic Mirrors. I believe some of the numbers for the items are different, or at least they used to be. This is accessed through Rest -> Appearance -> Modify Armor -> select your specific armor piece to modify.

3. NUI Editor. This is only functional on the PC version of the game, I believe. This is accessed through Rest -> Appearance -> Modify Armor -> Option 1.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:48 am

I figured out why I haven't seen this.

Earlier I was testing it on mobile, so that's right out, but I also run the game in 4k and have to use a gui scale to get things to be remotely useable. Turns out the NUI appearance changer only works in 1.0 scaling, which is quite a bummer. Odd too, I guess, since I don't seem to have NUI trouble elsewhere.