Torm True resurrections day

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

livingNPC

Torm True resurrections day

Post by livingNPC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:19 am

Hi

Is true resurrection day allowed for Paladins of Torm, on Arelith?

Lore on the day:

"For those who don't know, Torm is one of the more hardass gods in The Forgotten Realms. He is the god of Law, Duty, Loyalty. If you follow Torm you pretty much spend your life in service, enforcing laws, filling obligations, etc. He's the god Keldorn worships if that tells you anything.

However I've recently learned that followers of Torm have a holiday called True Resurrection. On Marpenoth the 15th, the day Torm came back from the dead, Torm grants his followers permission to set aside all laws, loyalties, obligations and so forth for 24 hours. It's essentially the purge.

So say, your character is a follower of Torm, a do-gooder to the extreme, but on one day somewhere in the trilogy your character can do anything they want, no matter how heinous, and their god will be cool with it. Where are you going to say the day occurs and what do you do?"

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Torm True resurrections day

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:09 pm

livingNPC wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:19 am

Hi

Is true resurrection day allowed for Paladins of Torm, on Arelith?

Lore on the day:

"For those who don't know, Torm is one of the more hardass gods in The Forgotten Realms. He is the god of Law, Duty, Loyalty. If you follow Torm you pretty much spend your life in service, enforcing laws, filling obligations, etc. He's the god Keldorn worships if that tells you anything.

However I've recently learned that followers of Torm have a holiday called True Resurrection. On Marpenoth the 15th, the day Torm came back from the dead, Torm grants his followers permission to set aside all laws, loyalties, obligations and so forth for 24 hours. It's essentially the purge.

So say, your character is a follower of Torm, a do-gooder to the extreme, but on one day somewhere in the trilogy your character can do anything they want, no matter how heinous, and their god will be cool with it. Where are you going to say the day occurs and what do you do?"

I'm a little curious, because I've never heard about any such holiday. Could you cite an official source of this?

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 am

Faiths & Avatars was a sourcebook for the Dungeons & Dragons 2nd-edition ruleset, set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. It detailed the deities of the Faerûnian pantheon. https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1445926886730.pdf

"The True Resurrection celebrates Torm’s rise anew to Dower and is a joyous feast and revel where laws are set aside just for this one day and night so that the Tormtar can stray from the principles of law and order once a year, Most use this opportunity merely to shock others by speaking freely or by enjoying sensual pleasures with their fellow Tormtar—but a few every year employ it to bring vengeance down on someone. (For example, a noble protected against all physical punishment by the laws of a realm but who ordered others mutilated might himself be mutilated on the night of the Resurrection.) Torm traditionally sends inspiring visions into the dreams of all his faithful in the sleep that follows this festival—and grants the Loyal Boon to a few, as a mark of his appreciation for their outstanding service: A new prayer is placed in their minds, granting them one chance to cast a new spell they would otherwise not be able to cast until they rose in experience by another level."

Page 164

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:08 am

It's also referenced in D&D's source books, Faiths and Pantheons, and Complete Scoundrel

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:21 am

I might be wrong here, and this is just my interpretation/assumption, but I don't think you can do ANYTHING you want and Torm is okay with it. You can be as 'CHAOTIC' as you want, not 'EVIL'. You are still at risk of falling out of favor if you begin doing evil things, as a paladin, are you not? You might just be allowed to carry out that good without the law/order aspect attached. Torm (correct me if I'm wrong) is a good aligned deity, no? I don't think he would allow a paladin to remain a paladin if they began commiting acts of evil, but on this day chaotic acts would be overlooked.

At least, that's my thinking. I have no idea.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 am

livingNPC wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 am

Faiths & Avatars was a sourcebook for the Dungeons & Dragons 2nd-edition ruleset, set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. It detailed the deities of the Faerûnian pantheon. https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1445926886730.pdf

"The True Resurrection celebrates Torm’s rise anew to Dower and is a joyous feast and revel where laws are set aside just for this one day and night so that the Tormtar can stray from the principles of law and order once a year, Most use this opportunity merely to shock others by speaking freely or by enjoying sensual pleasures with their fellow Tormtar—but a few every year employ it to bring vengeance down on someone. (For example, a noble protected against all physical punishment by the laws of a realm but who ordered others mutilated might himself be mutilated on the night of the Resurrection.) Torm traditionally sends inspiring visions into the dreams of all his faithful in the sleep that follows this festival—and grants the Loyal Boon to a few, as a mark of his appreciation for their outstanding service: A new prayer is placed in their minds, granting them one chance to cast a new spell they would otherwise not be able to cast until they rose in experience by another level."

Page 164

Thank you for sharing! That's so interesting, and now I'm imagining all the passionate romances that sprung between two Tormtar paladins on this holiday 🤭

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 am

Thank you for sharing! That's so interesting, and now I'm imagining all the passionate romances that sprung between two Tormtar paladins on this holiday 🤭

Paladin of Torm can have lovers in general, like Keldorn Firecam from BG2 who has a wife and children.

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am

Hazard wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:21 am

I might be wrong here, and this is just my interpretation/assumption, but I don't think you can do ANYTHING you want and Torm is okay with it. You can be as 'CHAOTIC' as you want, not 'EVIL'. You are still at risk of falling out of favor if you begin doing evil things, as a paladin, are you not? You might just be allowed to carry out that good without the law/order aspect attached. Torm (correct me if I'm wrong) is a good aligned deity, no? I don't think he would allow a paladin to remain a paladin if they began commiting acts of evil, but on this day chaotic acts would be overlooked.

At least, that's my thinking. I have no idea.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. More chaotic deeds for the greater good... or just plain old fun debaucherous activies within the PG guidelines

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:04 am

Sounds like a 'dress down' day at work. You can probably come in with Tshirts and Jeans rather than full suit, but best not try full BDSM gear.

As for your question... yes to a degree?

Honestly we don't police Paladins too hard anyway. It's not like a Paladin rping getting drunk on a night is a cause for us to go "NOW YOU FALL!"

If your tormite Paladin goes around and does some utterly insane stuff (e.g. summoning devils, murdering innocents, creating undead) then we probably won't take the 'It's True Ressurection Day!' as an excuse.

But a bit of laxness, and using it as a point in your character arc honestly sounds pretty neat.

I wish/wonder if we could put special 'days' in our time system? That'd be neat.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:04 am

But a bit of laxness, and using it as a point in your character arc honestly sounds pretty neat.

Exactly what I'm doing with Gregg Bramford.. cursing, drinking, and the like, on course to slowly becoming a respectable Paladin!!
Was just worried my RPR would be whacked, hence asking.
Gosh it's good to see Grumpycat is still around

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 pm

So. This is a day for Tormites to let out their inner Banite? Sounds neat

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:26 am

That lore is absolutely badass. Thank you for sharing it!

EDIT: Oh! Something similar exists for Ilmater, too.

The clergy observed no annual holy days and celebrated no regular festivities. However, an Adorned could make a Plea of Rest to Ilmater requesting a special dispensation for time off. The Rest was a tenday during which time they were freed from the rules laid out by Ilmater's faith. This was normally called for if the Adorned was emotionally exhausted by their work, but some exploited the time to perform deeds that Ilmater would normally disapprove of. Some church leaders depended on this tradition, using the Rest to send their best fighting or adventuring clergy out to perform deeds they could not normally do, such as covertly bringing down a tyrant instead of making an open confrontation.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)