Skal Announcement - Q&A

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DM Poppy

Skal Announcement - Q&A

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:51 am

For Questions and for Answers regarding the new changes that will affect Skal.

Where answers can be given they shall. Please keep your questions civil, compact and to the point as I haven't the time to invest on reading novels and dossiers.

Thank you.

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

AskRyze

Re: Skal Announcement - Q&A

Post by AskRyze » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:13 pm

1. Are characters who are above level 19 allowed to own property on Skal, be it shops, quarters, etc?

2. Are measures going to be taken to prevent epic level 'benefactors' from feeding equipment and crafted items to 19th level characters in order to perpetuate trade monopolies?

Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:31 pm

1) At the moment yes, though we are looking at ways in the future to prevent this. We'll let you know when/if it goes in.
2) This is a very difficult thing to police. I'll discuss it with the team but not really sure what we can do about it, to be honest. If we come up with any wonder solutions, we'll let you know.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Izaich

Post by Izaich » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:28 pm

What sort of time-frame do we have to decide whether we want to stay or leave?

Ardenith

Post by Ardenith » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:17 pm

For epic character who holds a MOD for the purpose of staying on Skal permanently before this new change was announced, will he be given a chance to have the mark removed now that he leaves Skal permanently as a result of this new change?

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:40 pm

Timeframe -
The Announcement has been made and I'll be posting regularly reminders to the Distant Shores server. Their are already mechanical features being designed for new Characters entering Skal. But for existing Characters, you will have a week to really settle on whether or not you plan to remain or leave. On the weekend, I'll begin to adjust Epics remaining on Skal

To clarify. 15/4/2023 the rule will be enforced.

Current MoD Holders-
Players will be given the opportunity to remain or to leave and in either instance we will remove their MoD, with exception to punitive Marks.

noj

Post by noj » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:22 pm

Are Commoners to be subject to this new rule change as well? As it stands, having several max level commoners established on Skal also kills the chance for any new ones to make a name for themselves as the max level ones will use the ability to trip back and forth to the mainland for mainland resources as an edge.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:43 pm

No exceptions. Commoners are max 19

noj

Post by noj » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:49 pm

DM Poppy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:43 pm

No exceptions. Commoners are max 19

:D Great news, thanks!

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:19 pm

Q, I am an Epic level and I have decided I want to remain on Skal forever, what do I do?

A, Contact a DM. We will reduce you to level 19, applying the XP Cap to your Character.

Additional Info - Phase One Mechanic - Pending for Testing and Implementation

All newly created Skal Characters will have an XP Cap.
All current Skal Characters will have this XP Cap applied to them. Epic levels will be given a chance to depart first, as it will lower them to level 19.

Q, How do I remove this XP Cap if I want to leave?

A, To remove the XP Cap, once you depart Skal you shall need to speak with a Writ Agent. They'll remove the XP Cap under the disguise of exchanging your writ documents. This is purely thematic, your writs are unaffected.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm

A Reminder -

Players of Skal - ALL Characters who reside on Skal will be locked to level 19. Epic Characters will be lowered and locked to 19 (No Exception) if you do not want to be lowered, leave. If you applied for an MoD to remain, it will removed once you ping us. If you left before the announcement, your MoD remains.

Khorvale

Post by Khorvale » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:35 pm

Can you clarify, if you leave Skal will a character be able to level again past 19? All these declarations make it sound very final

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:47 pm

IF you made a Skal PC after the change - or are going to - then you will be stuck at 19.5 until you talk to a writ-master somewhere on the surface/other servers, at which point you should be able to level up again.

If you get locked to level 19 by a DM (Either because your pc was made before the change, or because you came back later, or whatever) then you'll need to have it removed by a DM - which will be done when you start fully playing your pc off Skal.

Hope that helps!

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Andyyy

Post by Andyyy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:57 pm

So um if we have a level 7 character on Skal who was made before this change is a DM going to apply this level 19 limit to them? Can I just keep playing as is and leave around level 16 which was the plan already?

I've never had much success in getting a DM's attention to help with anything so I am worried I'll have this applied and never be able to find anyone willing to remove.

Khorvale

Post by Khorvale » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:59 pm

Andyyy wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:57 pm

I've never had much success in getting a DM's attention to help with anything so I am worried I'll have this applied and never be able to find anyone willing to remove.

I had this issue too until I discovered the 'Support' feature at the top of this forum, that seems to have pretty quick response time

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:18 am

Andyyy wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:57 pm

So um if we have a level 7 character on Skal who was made before this change is a DM going to apply this level 19 limit to them? Can I just keep playing as is and leave around level 16 which was the plan already?

If you're planning on leaving skal before you hit 20, you're probably absolutly fine. Carry on! Not a problem!

The level cap will only be manually applied if we see people hanging around Skal for days on end over level 19.

This too shall pass.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:41 pm

Much of what has been asked already has been answered. But a summary of it at least

Skal Start -
All new Characters on Skal are automatically locked to level 19.5. They can remain on Skal at level 19 or they can leave. To remove their level cap they need only speak to the Writ Agents on the mainland of Arelith.

Skal Existing -
All existing Characters on Skal are going to be manually reduced and locked to level 19.5. They can remain on Skal at level 19 or they can leave. To remove their level cap they need only speak to the Writ Agents on Arelith. If existing Characters had an MoD given to them, they can request for it to be removed (Only for Characters that leave Skal after the announcement) if you are living on Skal and you are not capped by a DM that is fine, as long as you stay below 19.

Skal Visitors -
You can visit Skal at any level. But you are only going to be welcome for an IRL day or two (At the most). Whilst you are visiting you are expected to follow some conditions https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Rules#Shado ... d_Skaljard and if you break these conditions, you'll also be lowered to level 19.

The Summary -
If you want to live on Skal. PvP on Skal. Trade vast amounts of resources on Skal. You are perfectly fine to do so, provided you are level 19 and below. If you are above, you are not the main character, the hero or the villian and if you play those parts you will be lowered to 19.