Question on PVP Dialog

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Question on PVP Dialog

Post by Morgy » Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:34 am
Morgy wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:50 am
MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:49 am

My whole gripe about this is that people don't go about posting on message boards every time they kill a writ boss, about killing said writ boss. When necromancers and undead roam the fields, no one seems to care until a there is a player behind the character, then it seems to become the good player character's sole life goal to smite away that necromancer/warlock and their undead/fiend, but only that one, while conveniently ignoring all other evils around them.

And when you mention to them that there are entire dungeons filled with necromancers and undead that need smited, they seem to gloss over that and otherwise they continue with their fixation of smiting only player characters.

That kind of inconsistentent RP screams not roleplaying your character, and yet it seems to be perfectly acceptable within our server's culture. And that's also why I believe it was mentioned earlier that this kind of PvP-fixated approach to RP isn't good or healthy for the server.

It's not really inconsistent RP, I think, because when's the last time one of those spawned cultists or necromancers tried to initiate dialogue or responded to yours? :lol:

We engage with other players, because that's how we build a story between players. You just can't do that with dungeons and npcs that respawn every five minutes and don't -ever- develop a plot with you.

Players (and DM-controlled creatures) are responsive foes.. NPCs that run at you wordlessly on sight are not. If you want to talk about killing Morghuun the Black with every person that returns after their writ, I think you'll find that rather tiring quite quickly. We have to make that exception between NPCs and PCs.

And while we as players know what you've stated to be true, the characters do not and should not. It's discouraging to partake in RP where the PCs act like they know they're player characters in a game, rather than actually roleplaying as being a part of a living and breathing world-setting.

It then becomes a problem when this mentality is taken into PvP, especially when adopted by rather PvP-trigger happy players.

But to suggest that players shouldn't write about other players, if they're not about NPCs is simply not a realistic argument. You cannot interact organically with NPCS. Whilst we should not ignore NPCs, we cannot also treat them as players either.

You cannot, for example, kill a neutral NPC for animating in Skal, like you can a player. It's against the rules.. We have to be realistic about where the line is drawn.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon May 01, 2023 7:12 am

Even a one-liner PKed character can still generate hours of RP content in the form of follow-up gossip and conversation that the character itself is not involved in at all (which stings, but it usually works better that way).

Message board posts and notebook reports can then greatly enhance this, but we need to distinguish here between self-promoting pieces (1) or gaslighting OOC propaganda (2) and genuinely informative stuff that aims to include more people and give them agency over the ongoing conflict.

(1) "Look mommy I keep winning! Plz luv me..."
(2) "I'm too awsome to lose! Don't believe lies that say otherwise!"

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon May 01, 2023 3:09 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:34 am
Morgy wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:50 am
MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:49 am

My whole gripe about this is that people don't go about posting on message boards every time they kill a writ boss, about killing said writ boss. When necromancers and undead roam the fields, no one seems to care until a there is a player behind the character, then it seems to become the good player character's sole life goal to smite away that necromancer/warlock and their undead/fiend, but only that one, while conveniently ignoring all other evils around them.

And when you mention to them that there are entire dungeons filled with necromancers and undead that need smited, they seem to gloss over that and otherwise they continue with their fixation of smiting only player characters.

That kind of inconsistentent RP screams not roleplaying your character, and yet it seems to be perfectly acceptable within our server's culture. And that's also why I believe it was mentioned earlier that this kind of PvP-fixated approach to RP isn't good or healthy for the server.

It's not really inconsistent RP, I think, because when's the last time one of those spawned cultists or necromancers tried to initiate dialogue or responded to yours? :lol:

We engage with other players, because that's how we build a story between players. You just can't do that with dungeons and npcs that respawn every five minutes and don't -ever- develop a plot with you.

Players (and DM-controlled creatures) are responsive foes.. NPCs that run at you wordlessly on sight are not. If you want to talk about killing Morghuun the Black with every person that returns after their writ, I think you'll find that rather tiring quite quickly. We have to make that exception between NPCs and PCs.

And while we as players know what you've stated to be true, the characters do not and should not. It's discouraging to partake in RP where the PCs act like they know they're player characters in a game, rather than actually roleplaying as being a part of a living and breathing world-setting.

It then becomes a problem when this mentality is taken into PvP, especially when adopted by rather PvP-trigger happy players.

From the perspective of a character within Arelith, Morghuun the Black, the Vampire Queen, and all of those guys are threats...but they are threats with lairs. They stay in their lairs. Sure, they could come out of these lairs, which is why there are writs to destroy them before they cause problems.

However, player character antagonists leave their "lairs". They do their evil, or antagonize, in places you would normally consider "safe". These are greater threats because they will come to US.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???