Tracks found when investigating break-in

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

riffraff

Tracks found when investigating break-in

Post by riffraff » Wed May 24, 2023 9:49 am

My character has high spot and when I examine tracks out and about, I can get a lot of information from them.

When investigating a break in on a door, the tracks appear and when I look at them I get nothing (to be clear, I went to open the door, saw the message of tampering, then used -investigate, which created tracks that I then clicked on as I would any other tracks. In the combat log, it displays the "You find the following tracks" message, then nothing).

I'm honestly not sure if this is a bug or by design, but it seems really weird that I'm very good at reading regular tracks in the wilderness, but when using -investigate on a door that has signs of tampering, I seem unable to find any information.

I guess the question is, are tracks made in this way treated differently in terms of skill checks than tracks left by traversal?

The wiki says:

When someone attempts to bash your door it will store their tracks.
Likewise, if someone tries to pick your door, it will store their tracks, however, it will store the hide DC using sleight of hand to hide their evidence (details).

Anyone interacting with the door will be notified that something seems amiss if they beat the lowest sleight of hand DC or 10 for bash attempts.
Using -investigate at a door will spawn the tracks, regardless of who you are.

That implies to me that the tracks generated should work like any other tracks, aside from sleight of hand being used. I've beat their "lowest sleight of hand DC" to see the tampering (not sure what it means by lowest), but then can't see anything about them in the tracks. Is it just that their sleight of hand beats my spot? If sleight of hand is being used instead of hide, does stuff like ranger levels still add to the DC?

It may be that whoever did it was a master sneak, but it drives me crazy that I notice the tampering and then can't find any more information with my ridiculous eagle eyes. :lol:

cold chuckle

Cthuletta

Re: Tracks found when investigating break-in

Post by Cthuletta » Thu May 25, 2023 1:15 pm

From what I can tell, and this is just an educated guess as I'm not entirely sure myself...

It seems like there are two checks to beat.
The lowest Sleight of Hand DC or 10 for Bash to SPOT the break-in attempt when on the door.

And then the player who is breaking in's Sleight of Hand DC to make out any details from the tracks about them.

So you beat the first check and did notice someone messing with your locks, but didn't beat their DC to find out anything from their tracks because they hid their evidence too well?
May be that the 'Investigate' article on the Wiki needs to be expanded upon slightly for clarification.

Juniper Oakley - Just A Wee Bit Batty

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil (Rolled)

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm

[Accidental double (half?) post, somehow]

Last edited by riffraff on Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cold chuckle

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Thu May 25, 2023 2:22 pm

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense. My spot isn't insanely high, but it is high (some feat investment), though I acknowledge someone's Sleight of Hand could always be higher.

I'm wondering two things. One, what exactly does "lowest Sleight of Hand" mean? If they roll a 1? If they have to pick lock multiple times?

And two does their DC include all the usual track stuff?

Is it like:
Sleight of Hand X + Trackless Step + Illusionist + sneaky knife ears + 20 levels in Ranger
(much of which seems a bit weird to incorporate with a Sleight of Hand check, but whatever)

I've had some amusing situations of my character being asked what her amazing eyes make of it, only to have to stare blankly and shrug.

cold chuckle

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Thu May 25, 2023 3:15 pm

Cthuletta wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:15 pm

From what I can tell, and this is just an educated guess as I'm not entirely sure myself...

It seems like there are two checks to beat.
The lowest Sleight of Hand DC or 10 for Bash to SPOT the break-in attempt when on the door.

And then the player who is breaking in's Sleight of Hand DC to make out any details from the tracks about them.

So you beat the first check and did notice someone messing with your locks, but didn't beat their DC to find out anything from their tracks because they hid their evidence too well?
May be that the 'Investigate' article on the Wiki needs to be expanded upon slightly for clarification.

That's interesting. Good to know. Thanks. Not that I would need this information for anything nefarious or criminal.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome