If someone gives another character name

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: If someone gives another character name

Post by Rei_Jin » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:42 am

For me, making this clear puts in place a strong motivator for folks to be honest with the guard when caught.

"Give me your name, not some false name. If you're unwilling to do so, then we'll kill you and haul your corpse to the administrators, so that if you DO come back, you'll still be exiled AND everyone will still know your name. The only choice you have, is whether you die here and now, or not."

Takes

Post by Takes » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:53 am

That sounds like just as bad of role play as refusing to give your name time and time again. Often times what a brash and uncooperative player needs is someone their character is in conflict with to show them how to do things in a more mature, cool way.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:58 am

Yes, but if someone is going to be getting exiled for their behaviour, then they're already clearly not being co-operative IC. Things are already escalating.

It's not like this is what happens to the average character who walks into a settlement, it's for folks breaking laws and causing major issues.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:57 pm

In my opinion, in all situations where a player is walking in like a grey line with the intention of being disruptive and not abiding by I guess it would be the be nice rule DMs can step in. Chances are in a situation like that a player needs DM coaching or something to help.

Exiles should be an RP mechanic and not a method used to punish bad OOC actors or perceived bad actors. I'm sure DMs would resolve anyone trying to cheese it.

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.