Gloaming

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

facesmash

Gloaming

Post by facesmash » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Hey just curious if its ever been talked about/discussed on if Gloamings would/should be allowed to start in the Skal dark as an option?

MRFTW

Re: Gloaming

Post by MRFTW » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:32 am

It's not really suitable for a starting character. The main (only?) race to start in the Skaldark is deep Imaskari, who essentially have two choices at level 3:

1. Step out of the Tower of the Unsealed and immediately die to the enemies outside the door.
  2. Step into the portal to Skal village and become indistinguishable from every other new character.

I'm currently playing my second gloaming on Skal and I managed to get by as soon as I had summon 4 and a sequencer. Everything before that point was hell. The Tower of the Unsealed is simply not a viable starting area; it bridges that gap by having the portal to the village, which is. Deep Imaskari can deal with that because they are just OP humans, and don't have sunlight sensitivity.

Low level gloamings are going to end up spending vast amounts of time in the sunlight which is considered disrespectful to both character and setting, or you're going to have to respect the setting and spend 4+ RL hours at a time inside buildings.

Once you get a few levels under your belt, playing a sunlight-sensitive race on Skal is very fun. Once you know your way around you can quite reliably get almost anywhere without leaving the cave networks and your access to resources is vastly different to the standard Skal player's. Sand and clay are not common underground, my gloaming ran from the yeti cave near Dunmarle to the undine caverns, all without touching the surface, just to collect 2 sand.