Physical Disabilities

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ouranochoros

Physical Disabilities

Post by Ouranochoros » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:14 am

Hello! I'm a new player and just made my first character (though haven't gotten to play her yet).

I searched around and couldn't find anything definitive, but wanted to ask here: what is the policy towards playing characters with physical disabilities? Especially visible ones. I have such a disability in real life and often like to play characters with some sort of physical limit on their character sheet (i.e., all her physical attributes begin at 8). So I was wondering 1) if this is broadly allowed on Arelith and 2) if there was a way I could convey that visually, if not through emotes and stuff.

Sorry again if this has been answered elsewhere. Thank you! :D

AskRyze

Re: Physical Disabilities

Post by AskRyze » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:50 am

I've seen a few people who have peg legs (it's a supported leg model option) and I know of one person in particular who roleplays having blindness, but I don't know if there's particularly a policy about it as long as it's RP-side only. Mechanical changes or whole loss of limb (without, say, RPing a prosthetic of some sort) is gonna be a whole lot harder to pull off.

Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:57 am

I think it depends on the disability! I've played blind characters myself, and I've also seen characters who are missing an arm, or a leg, or their legs simply don't work and they use crutches or a cane. Deaf and mute characters also exist in Arelith!
Something like a wheelchair may be hard to implement, given those don't seem to truly exist in this setting, but that's the only real limitation I can think of.

As far as conveying it visually, your best bet is to include it in the description somewhere, which can make in character creation when you're picking a name and voice set. You just erase that bit that says 'You are a so and so who left your home-' and put in your own description of what other people see when they examine your toon. This is commonly used for eye colours or specific items your character might wear, but isn't supported by the pixels on our screens, so it's a good avenue to get your character's disability across without emoting it constantly. For blind characters, or characters with challenges walking, you can equip a staff as a cane for another visual nod to what they're doing, or someone missing a leg may have a peg-leg instead.

I hope you enjoy Arelith and have a good time playing with us! Look forward to seeing your new character in game!

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:43 am

There's a whole wide array of disabilities out there at a wide range of visibility, so I'm going to try to speak as broadly as possible.

Arelith does go on a rule of WYSIWYG, but there's a lot you can do that's within the spirit of WYSIWYG. I've seen people RP metal prosthetic legs where they've chosen plate armor thigh/shin/foot options that they never ever change, and they have RP surrounding building their prosthetics, maintaining them, etc. and it's really cool. Of course, things like limps are very commonplace and just need to be put in your description and probably periodically referenced in your RP.

The issues you're likely to run into are as follows:

• WYSIWYG does prevent some disabilities from being roleplayed; as referenced before, you can't really reference a character using a wheelchair if they don't have a chair.

• The level of accommodation that can be provided by the people around your character is sometimes mechanically limited. For example - say your character is a Deaf human. The only sign language that the game supports is Drow sign, which is an unteachable language (and per lore is not a full sign language with grammar/syntax/etc) that you can only learn through Loremaster levels or using a Normal gift at character creation if your character isn't a drow to begin with.

• Saturation can be a problem if there aren't mechanics to support broad accommodations. There was a brief period about a year and a half ago in one of the smaller settlements where there were four mute characters, and if more than one of them was in the area it ground RP to a halt because of how long it took to write out various kinds of hand signals (and how often they were misinterpreted).

• Some people absolutely refuse to read descriptions. This is annoying, but you can't force them to do it. They will miss the details of your character's disability.

• Depending on how your character's disability manifests and the accommodations required, people may simply not want to work with your character. For example, I have an elderly character with severe arthritis who requires a cane as a mobility aid; she never runs, and usually slow-walks because I keep her nearly overencumbered deliberately. Some character's builds are "burst builds" that need to make the most of short-lived wards and exist in Haste, and trying to do anything alongside my character would be an exercise in futility.

• Expect at least one person at some point to try to cure your character's disability if it's the result of an injury, curse, or illness, particularly if your character's disability is something that prevents a group from accomplishing a task in a straightforward manner. While this is problematic in many ways, some combination of Remove Curse, Greater Restoration, and Regeneration per lore will get rid of basically anything that doesn't kill you.

• No settlement has an equivalent to the ADA. If your character requires a "breathing apparatus" that's represented by a specifically chosen helmet, don't expect the Cordor guard to be sympathetic when your character runs into the helmet check. And don't expect the Cordor guard to allow your seeing-eye badger for your blind elf because it's a service animal and not a pet.

• Some players might raise a stink if your character has a disability that they manage using a kind of magic they really shouldn't have access to for lore reasons, like a blind eighteen-year-old half-orc who sees by using the Weave (something that takes elven high mages centuries to learn how to do).

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:29 am

WYSIWYG is generally (unless you're doing it to be really cheesy) not something we hugely enforce. What it mostly activly means in terms of the above, is that Dms/Other players arn't /obliged/ to go along with it.

So for example if your pc has a peg leg In Game - then other PCs/DMs really should be going along with the fact your pc has a peg leg.
If your PC is in a wheelchair, other PCs/DMs don't HAVE to roleplay with that in mind. In theory they can say 'HA! YOU DON'T HAVE A WHEELCHAIR! IT'S ALL A LIE! MWAHAHA!'

The thing is though - and this is speaking as someone who a few years ago DID actually play a PC in a wheelchair? Pretty much everyone did go along with it, to my knowledge. You'll find a lot of good will in the community.

As for any official ruling on disabilities and stuff - so long as you're being respectful? Have at it!

EDIT: The small above point aside, Amateur Hour's points are really good and worth a read too.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

tessimon

Post by tessimon » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:04 pm

As far as descriptions go:

Please place any obvious elements you want people to know as the first line or two of your description and not buried 2-3 paragraphs in.

Unlike a novel, the scene doesn't pause when a new character enters it so everyone can read their description. Players are juggling reading chat, responding, reading descriptions, controlling their PC, etc.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:47 pm

tessimon wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:04 pm

As far as descriptions go:

Please place any obvious elements you want people to know as the first line or two of your description and not buried 2-3 paragraphs in.

Unlike a novel, the scene doesn't pause when a new character enters it so everyone can read their description. Players are juggling reading chat, responding, reading descriptions, controlling their PC, etc.

Great advice.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:40 am

Can easily play deaf and or mute... just rp writing everything. Ive done that a few times when in the UD and did not know under-common and got forced to communicate with the natives while in disguise lol.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:07 am

There used to be a -deaf command, but that got removed. The -blind command should still be there, if you want your character to mechanically be blind.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:02 am

Mechanically being blind does not work for roleplay, as it prevents you from seeing dialogue outside of the visible range for the player.

I recommend for anyone wanting to play a blind, deaf, or nonverbal character, to do research on how to portray it, so you're not just using gimmicks to basically remove any difficulty.

For my deaf character, who can lip read, I make sure the emote focusing on others' speaking and movements, to be aware of their range of vision and what they can respond to, as well. This is also reflected sometimes in their speaking, as certain spoken mannerisms are simply not present for them. They are very jumpy and rarely will relax when alone, as when you're in a dangerous area and can't hear, things can happen without warning. (For example, think of if you are deaf and sleeping, and can't hear the fire alarm in your house)

For my blind character, I tried using -blind, but faced the above issue. I ended up having them memorize certain pathways of the city, either using their familiar for unfamiliar areas, or having a guide. Then they would stick perfectly to that area, counting steps and using memory, sound, texture of the floor, even smell, to navigate. I always would have them respond to anything heard in emotes or dialogue, but never spoken. And for this character, as well as my deaf one, they had a certain level of vulnerability that came from lack of awareness, which was always important to be aware of.

For my nonverbal character, who was magically bound to not speak, I started as a drow. They would keep to certain things in sign language, but I used frequent emoting otherwise, to mime things, make expressions, gesture, etc. It took a lot more effort, but I never found anyone unwilling to wait for me to finish playing charades to get a point across. I honestly really dislike seeing people who play a nonverbal character and then emote: [scribbles on a paper What do you mean?] It seems like a cop-out for simply the aesthetic of playing nonverbal, that is functionally no different. Nor do those people often take into account things like difficulty of writing in battle, who is aware of things, etc. I personally kept a notebook with a ton of different phrases written into the titles of papers. When I needed to use them, I'd open the barter screen and show the person. The rest of the time, I'd stick to miming, as a lot can be communicated that way.

Of course, all of the above are my personal take on specific types of disability to actually make these traits mean something to how the character acts and is portrayed. There are many ways to do it, but at the very least, it's nice to have some bare minimum research into it.

Last edited by Eira on Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

tessimon

Post by tessimon » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:24 pm

There are also different levels and types of a particular type of disability that could be explored. As an example, deafness (hard of hearing) doesn't have to be all or nothing. It might be:

• deaf to a particular frequency range like human speech, but they could still hear lower frequencies like the growl of a giant creature
  • unable to hear normal speaking volume but shouting can be roughly understood
  • might only be in one ear ("say that again in my left ear")
  • a condition that develops due to sickness, injury, old age, etc instead of at birth
  • etc

I'm not trying to discourage people from playing it as all or nothing, but there is a fair bit of potential types/levels within the larger umbrella term for each disability.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:42 pm

tessimon wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:24 pm

There are also different levels and types of a particular type of disability that could be explored. As an example, deafness (hard of hearing) doesn't have to be all or nothing. It might be:

• deaf to a particular frequency range like human speech, but they could still hear lower frequencies like the growl of a giant creature
  • unable to hear normal speaking volume but shouting can be roughly understood
  • might only be in one ear ("say that again in my left ear")
  • a condition that develops due to sickness, injury, old age, etc instead of at birth
  • etc

I'm not trying to discourage people from playing it as all or nothing, but there is a fair bit of potential types/levels within the larger umbrella term for each disability.

That's an excellent reminder. Thank you.