Star Pact Warlock Q&A

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DragonBlooded

Star Pact Warlock Q&A

Post by DragonBlooded » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:55 am

So path of the star warlocks have a high potential fore some real Lovecraftian RP and cosmic horror rp. From far realm entities wanting to be entertained to elder brains aiming to establish dominance.

That being said, I was wondering a list of dos and donts with the psionic, entropic and magic eldritch blasts.

Example with [Redacted]
Things I'm interpreting- psionics being wild and weak at first. Ex. Stage 1: Just attacks. Stage 2: (see unseen) Psionic 'Echo location' (Hex) Probing with minor effects.
Stage 3 with epic pact has me Wondering things like:
Hex of Acedia- Would it be like implanting suggestions or simply pinpoint pressure with psionics.
Psionic inertia barrier- While pretty straight forward, would it be able to be RP'd as localized Telekinesis?

Long term RP capabilities: Is it possible to create a mind link between to psionic PCs in effort to make a hive mind like cult?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Star Pact Warlock Q&A

Post by Kuma » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:18 am

Not mechanically but you're welcome to flavour your powers in text, analysis, and emotes. You cannot however do any sort of telepathy or communication in ways that are not physically possible in game (no using [Tell]s or other OOC means to communicate, portrayed as Telepathy, for example).

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:00 am

Kuma basically summarised it well! Flavour is great, too much is bad, try to be vague with a Star Pact because often the character won't really know the reality behind it.

DragonBlooded wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:55 am

Long term RP capabilities: Is it possible to create a mind link between to psionic PCs in effort to make a hive mind like cult?

Definitely not for this one. The other ideas are cool, this one is taking it too far.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

DragonBlooded

Post by DragonBlooded » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:05 am

That was the main point of the question. The soft and hard limitations of the flavor of psionics. So far I have my warlock to THINK he understands what he saw, but what he saw was just a fragment of an entirely Lovecraftian entity. He thought he understood what happened and what he saw, but that just opened his mind to the pact.

DragonBlooded

Post by DragonBlooded » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:06 am

That was the main point of the question. The soft and hard limitations of the flavor of psionics. So far I have my warlock to THINK he understands what he saw, but what he saw was just a fragment of an entirely Lovecraftian entity. He thought he understood what happened and what he saw, but that just opened his mind to the pact. That being said, I've come up with a cosmic entity that could reside in the elsewhere where others could open up a pact with that entity. Where would ai post it?

The First Vicar

Post by The First Vicar » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:42 pm

DragonBlooded wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:06 am

That was the main point of the question. The soft and hard limitations of the flavor of psionics. So far I have my warlock to THINK he understands what he saw, but what he saw was just a fragment of an entirely Lovecraftian entity. He thought he understood what happened and what he saw, but that just opened his mind to the pact. That being said, I've come up with a cosmic entity that could reside in the elsewhere where others could open up a pact with that entity. Where would ai post it?

If he's not a main DnD entity for 3.5 I don't think that's going to work. But you can try the suggestion box.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:13 am

The First Vicar wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:42 pm
DragonBlooded wrote:

If he's not a main DnD entity for 3.5 I don't think that's going to work. But you can try the suggestion box.

We do have some custom patrons, some player made from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35044

Always worth remembering that patrons are often just powerful creatures and not gods, and you don't have to sell your soul to become a warlock. Some warlocks sell their grandma's home-made cookie recipe in exchange for their magic.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:10 am

I'm going to leave some more clear guidelines here:

• No psionics at all on Arelith. Psychic damage comes from magical sources on Arelith, whether they're Eldritch/essence/spell origin. Psychic damage does not represent psionics. You may see psionics occur during DM events, or from NPCs such as illithid and other creatures that are DM controlled. There should be no telepathy, no communication outside of public /chat /whisper /shout channels, hive minds are not ok.

• If you're making up content for the setting, that's ok to some degree. You shouldn't be posting about it other than IC because it is only your character's perspective. Players should not roleplay beyond the things they are in control of (their character, their summons - and even the latter needs to be done tastefully), so roleplaying on behalf of an eldritch entity wouldn't be acceptable. The same for devils/demons/others. Depending on the pact, the character may not even be aware of what kind of entity they are pacted to.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

The First Vicar

Post by The First Vicar » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:06 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:13 am
The First Vicar wrote:
DragonBlooded wrote:

We do have some custom patrons, some player made from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35044

Always worth remembering that patrons are often just powerful creatures and not gods, and you don't have to sell your soul to become a warlock. Some warlocks sell their grandma's home-made cookie recipe in exchange for their magic.

Did the Devil who made that pact roll a 1?

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:37 am

I've known cookie recipes that got people marriage proposals; cookie recipes are of no small value.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:52 am

The First Vicar wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:06 pm
MRFTW wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:13 am
The First Vicar wrote:

Did the Devil who made that pact roll a 1?

No, the fey that made that pact rolled a 20. They really are delicious.