Shapechanging races

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

God_In_Action

Shapechanging races

Post by God_In_Action » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am

This is a rules questions for DMs. Certain races (Rakshasa, Yuan-ti Pureblood and Green Hag) are Monstrous, but can freely change into a human form. What's the ruling on whether such a character is allowed to go into both Andunor and the surface when in appropriate form and disguised and to spend extended time in those places? Does it matter if the character is created as a Outcast at start, and do they need to respect that Outcast status regardless of form and disguise?

For example, if a Green Hag starts in Andunor, is it permissible for the character to change into human form and walk straight into Cordor and spend time there (if disguised and trying to pass for human)? Likewise for a Yuan-ti that starts on the surface, is it permissible for the character to be on the surface in human form whilst at other times to visit Andunor in Pureblood form as a monster even without Outcast status?

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Shapechanging races

Post by Eira » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:50 am

Any monster that can take form as a humanoid race is freely able to go to these locations. That is the entire point of them being able to disguise like so.

The one caveat is that, if you choose outcast background, even as a monster race, you will be marked an outcast, which may imply that your persona was rejected from societies. I do not recommend that, as infiltration often relies on being able to go unnoticed.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:43 am

Thank you!

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Their is a distinction between Monsterous Races of the Underdark and "Surface Monsters".

Creatures that select can only select Andunor as their Starter City are Monsterous Races of the Underdark, they are not able to purchase property on the surface, they are not allowed to enter surface settlements. (With exception to Svirf and Duergar)

Surface Monsters who select a Surface Settlement or Andunor as their Starter City are mechanically permitted to roam freely. BUT. Do be mindful that their are absolutely IC downfalls to being outted as a "Monster".

Yuan-Ti, Green Hag, Raka and Vampires are all able to start on the Surface but also be mindful, if you start on the Surface you cannot own property in the Underdark until you become an Outcast and vice-versa.

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted: