Coordinating PvP in VC - what's the rule?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Amateur Hour

Coordinating PvP in VC - what's the rule?

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:53 pm

This seems to be a matter of some debate among some circles, so for the purpose of getting a clear answer from the DMs so the matter can be set to rest:

Is it within or against the rules to coordinate PvP using some kind of voicechat, such as (but not limited to) Discord, Google Hangouts, Zoom, or conventional phonecalls?

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Spriggan Bride

Re: Coordinating PvP in VC - what's the rule?

Post by Spriggan Bride » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:38 pm

Would you be letting your opponent know you have this obscene advantage if you were doing this?

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:27 am

It is an open secret on Arelith that some PvP groups use voice or some other OOC communication method when in combat against other players.

The issue is proving it, as the linked thread says.

It is good practice to NOT engage in voice chat during any PvP encounter, as the risk of "metagaming" is high, even if it is unintentional.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Metagaming in pvp, whether it's via voice chat, Discord chat, tells, messanger pidign or interpretive dance ,is ALWAYS against the rules. The only issue with Voice is that it's harder (though not impossible) to police and prove. But if we see it happening, we will act on it.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:55 am

Hazard wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 am
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Metagaming in pvp, whether it's via voice chat, Discord chat, tells, messanger pidign or interpretive dance ,is ALWAYS against the rules. The only issue with Voice is that it's harder (though not impossible) to police and prove. But if we see it happening, we will act on it.

Thank you, Hazard! I was looking for a clear statement from the DMs/admin team on this so there could be a place to point to whenever anyone starts encouraging using voice chat programs for PvP coordination.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:24 pm

It is really sad that players feel the need to win so badly that they coordinate PvP in VC.

Normally I try to be welcoming and encouraging of all players and playstyles, but the truth is that anyone who does this really is pathetic and detrimental to the server and everyone else as a whole.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:24 pm

It is really sad that players feel the need to win so badly that they coordinate PvP in VC.

Normally I try to be welcoming and encouraging of all players and playstyles, but the truth is that anyone who does this really is pathetic and detrimental to the server and everyone else as a whole.

This.

I find that a bit of OOC coordination is important. If you're playing with friends, Discord is great for setting up play times. But I don't think voice chats have any place on a game like Arelith.

Coordinating PvPs by talking faster than you can type and ensuring that said coordination is unreachable to your opponents and entirely OOC is nothing short of disgusting.

I've found myself in situations where my friends and I were completely butchered by a notorious gank squad. We knew they were using headsets but of course we couldn't prove it.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:21 am

Having an unprovable and unpoliceable boogeyman like VC has been a livesaver when it comes to preserving my ego after getting my butt kicked, though.

"I'm not bad, they're just on comms"

Silver linings, mates. 👍

DM Spark

Post by DM Spark » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:19 am

I think the answer's been given already: coordinating via voice comms for PvP or otherwise gives an unfair advantage against those who don't and is against the rules.

I'm locking the thread as such as I can't see this going anywhere positive.