Silly UMD Games

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Waldo52

Silly UMD Games

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:48 pm

I noticed on the PGCC that if I wanted to wear a helmet item with a high UMD requirement, all I had to was take some UMD rings/belt/whatever, get the helmet on once the skill was high enough. Even after I took off this UMD gear, I was still able to wear the helmet.

If this is done on the main servers, is this considered a rules break? It almost feels like an exploit, but I can also see how in RP terms it may be that the real challenge is getting the item to start working, not keeping it working. Like the initial effort needed to start a car by turning the key in the ignition.

I'm not sure if this is an acceptable trick that everyone uses or if it's something that isn't allowed.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia

Re: Silly UMD Games

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:35 pm

If you have to ask the question "is this an exploit" because it feels like an exploit... it probably is an exploit.

Done.

ElevenOne

Post by ElevenOne » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:06 pm

This is how UMD works in vanilla game. The skill check is on equip, not every round.

If you gear up UMD to use a wand then remove the gear, should the wand effects also go away as well?
If you used Eagle splendor to hit the UMD requirement and the effect ended, should the helm be unequipped?
Would getting hit by curse song make your UMD weapon get unequipped?

If you log out with the helm equipped, it will be unequipped on log in. This also happens on a server transition.
Also if you change the appearance of the helmet you will need to UMD again to use it.
If this happens, if you had the item on the F's bar, it will also get cleared.

On the long run, using temporary gear to wear a piece of equipment gets very annoying and needs a lot of micromanage to do it. I would not recommend it.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 am

umd on gear is the only thing that enables equipping some of these items if you don't meet the requirements

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:46 pm

ElevenOne wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:06 pm

This is how UMD works in vanilla game. The skill check is on equip, not every round.

If you gear up UMD to use a wand then remove the gear, should the wand effects also go away as well?
If you used Eagle splendor to hit the UMD requirement and the effect ended, should the helm be unequipped?
Would getting hit by curse song make your UMD weapon get unequipped?

If you log out with the helm equipped, it will be unequipped on log in. This also happens on a server transition.
Also if you change the appearance of the helmet you will need to UMD again to use it.
If this happens, if you had the item on the F's bar, it will also get cleared.

On the long run, using temporary gear to wear a piece of equipment gets very annoying and needs a lot of micromanage to do it. I would not recommend it.

This is correct. It is not an exploit to use the UMD bonus on gear to equip an item.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.