Remake of a rolled character

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Felgrand

Remake of a rolled character

Post by Felgrand » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:12 am

My first character Felgrand was rolled for the sake of seeking something no longer attainable by any means. (Currently) however as I had not been on the server for long I did not know what exactly I would signing myself up for with said deletion. The loss of the character still upsets me and while I still share the name account wise the entire time I continued using the name I would receive tells asking about the character. It reeled me with a bit of pride that over such a short time I made a character others could enjoy as well as I did. I suppose my primary question to the title itself is can an exception be made for me to bring back a character I regret rolling in trade to never roll them?

Slavery? Never heard of her.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Remake of a rolled character

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:25 am

I'm sorry, I really feel for you, but on this we can't make exceptions.

If you rolled the pc for an award, they're gone and can never be played on this server again.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:17 pm

I've been there man, it hurts.

Eventually you'll find something else that inspires you.

Chaoshawk

Post by Chaoshawk » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:16 pm

this was permissible on some exceptions in the past such as exordius and holly but perhaps it is no longer available

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 pm

If you want to continue something similar it's pretty common to make a relative of your former character with a different name, but you can't have any knowledge of their time on Arelith. Make a sibling looking for the one who disappeared only knowing they were here and nothing else, for example.

Fargreze

Post by Fargreze » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:20 am

I think making a descendant might be the way to go. "Felgrand" would make a cool surname in my opinion.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:20 am

Honestly, this is maybe straying into tough love - and I feel for you, because the situation you've outlined sucks - but I would advise against playing a family member or someone trying to emulate the character you've lost within the rules.

You wouldn't be breaking any rules of course and it does happen but it doesn't tend to make the best stories. You'll probably always be chasing the feeling that the actual character gave you, you'll be stuck between trying to believably and legally continue the old character's story and writing your new one, and I doubt it will actually help you find closure in your original one's story.

I don't think playing a relation or child of a former PC is ever a particularly good idea; I'd advise every PC you play being a truly blank slate.

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:20 am

Honestly, this is maybe straying into tough love - and I feel for you, because the situation you've outlined sucks - but I would advise against playing a family member or someone trying to emulate the character you've lost within the rules.

You wouldn't be breaking any rules of course and it does happen but it doesn't tend to make the best stories. You'll probably always be chasing the feeling that the actual character gave you, you'll be stuck between trying to believably and legally continue the old character's story and writing your new one, and I doubt it will actually help you find closure in your original one's story.

I don't think playing a relation or child of a former PC is ever a particularly good idea; I'd advise every PC you play being a truly blank slate.

Along these lines, even when it is permitted to recreate a character (I know of a few cases and all of those were special-circumstances things), it usually ends up not being a good idea for the character or player in question.

Even if you rolled a character hoping for an award, you probably were experiencing frustration or other problems with said character that led you to feel a new character would be better than the struggle you're currently dealing with. The fact of the matter is that those frustration/problems/etc. are usually endemic to the character. They aren't going to go away just because you took a few weeks or months off. If you deleted your character because you were overwhelmed by conflict and you bring back that character, that conflict is probably still there, or the propensity to get into similar conflicts is still there. If your character was struggling to achieve their goals and this frustration was upsetting you, they'll probably still be struggling when you bring them back. If you want to do something completely different, it's usually best to do so on a new character that is less likely to slip back into patterns which are difficult for you-the-player to manage.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:05 am

In my opinion if they want to play it, let them. Maybe they just need to get it out of their system. Or maybe they deleted in a fit of frustration and regret it and the new, similar but different character will work better for them. Whatever, there's too many variables to speculate but I wouldn't guilt trip them over it. There are plenty of cases where someone plays a character that's not quite right, deletes and makes a relative who turns out to be the keeper. That's basically half of Bendir.

We'll all have dozens if not hundreds of characters pass through our vaults so if this one is a rerun of a past character maybe the next won't be. Just follow that inspiration.