Green Hag RP suggestions anyone?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Green Hag RP suggestions anyone?

Post by Skeletor » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:22 pm

I'm having a bit of trouble and I'm open to suggestions.

My experience playing green hags has been good but I am unsure about how to roleplay their absolutely evil nature properly.

The first hag I rolled, I made her into a powerhouse, extremely hard to kill and using unfair magics that can wither enemies into a pulp if given enough times. She might not be the hardest hitter but she's relentless and I've won half of the pvps I've had with her even against good builds. I wanted to nail the idea that she has "Extra" unique powers that not just anyone can access and I think I did it well.

I used her polymorph liberally, letting people know she was a hag or not as she desired.
The roleplay with her appropriately seems like people are talking to a disproportionately powerful being beyond their understanding, I nailed that part, but at the same time it creates a barrier between them and the other players, she's too outlandish to get very familiar with.

I'm having the problem that OP characters usually have: She's too powerful and it makes for a lonely road, and I don't have the time to become a guild leader or something like that.

The second hag I made, I went another route, I kept her as a nice old lady (never used polymorph into human or hag ever) and made her into a utility powerhouse, able to offer all kinds of assistance to everyone she meets, often offering her many different services for some sort of ultimate payment to happen at a later date that remains unclear. This is closer to the "transactional" aspect of hags, but I seem to be lacking in the evil department since she is basically a kind old lady helping everyone around her for no apparent payment (it's not like I can demand the lvl 6 I just buffed hand me something impossible to get or I turn them into a toad, where's the fun in that?).
I'm okay with helping players, I like doing it, but I'm unsure about playing a chaotic evil character that is fundamentally "Just being helpful".
I justify it in my head by saying that she only helps horrible people out (She will treat an evil slaver as if it were her grandson and put a bandaid on their forehead because the very bad surface paladin did a bubu to them )

At one time I had a brief coven with 3 hags, but even then what we could do was sort of limited because of different timezones with the other 2 players.

So I'm open to suggestions, how would you, within the confines of Arelith, roleplay a functional hag?
How would you make her more relatable and approachable while keeping her otherwordly powers present?
What kind of deals would you perform? Would you join a guild, or do your own thing? Or just be a kind old lady helping newcomers even if they don't pay you back? Or something completely different?

Cthuletta

Re: Green Hag RP suggestions anyone?

Post by Cthuletta » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:36 am

While playing evil in general is not particularly within my skillset, I'd say that I'd take notes of other similar creatures that I've either seen in media or interacted with in RP.
For example, there's nothing wrong with a little old lady who wants to help everyone.... buuut, if she's evil.. perhaps she's intentionally gaining favour? Whether in regards to having them do something for her down the line and keeping them in her pocket that way, or growing her own reputation as a nice ol' biddy to cover her bottom for more nefarious deeds in the future. I've seen plenty of evil characters work this way, and it provides a lot of really good RP when done well.

A secondary idea which is further from your own characters, but one I'd personally love to see, is the vain Hag. The hag is naturally quite ugly to look at, but the Hag themselves probably either doesn't think that, or revels joyfully and deeply in their own hideousness. Anyone who dares tell them otherwise is insulting them so very harshly, that death is the only answer.
So because a Hag who adores their outward natural appearance is likely very confident, they'd be more social and outgoing, lending themselves to the community and doing... well, whatever it is they please. But you comment or wince at their looks, and that's when you see the evil.

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:35 pm

For hags in particular, another option is to play up their fey nature.

Are you helping new people? Great! Give them a bunch of, idk, potions, you've got the feat. Ask them to do some bizarre task, like bring you the meat of a piglet born under an omen (something they can easily do). If they don't do it, stalk them and leave hints about impending doom.

Take slights of agreement and trade personally, and play your character as viewing lives as worth less than the slighted courtesy. Things like that!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 am

You could put little curse descriptions on stuff if you do like helping people but don't want to feel like it's too 'good'.. Include something about, it being up to the player if they play along with the curse or whatever.

This stuff can lead to a lot of plot points involving players all over the server even while you're offline. Verycool!