On immortals and forgetting

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cowbot

On immortals and forgetting

Post by Cowbot » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:16 am

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but I am wondering about how the new rule about forgetting interacts with characters who are largely immortal. Namely, Rakshasa, imps, and vampires.

Part of the fear of killing a fiend is that it will return and haunt you. It is a trope for them to swear revenge as they are banished or defeated, only to come again later.

This seems largely at odds with the rule on forgetting who killed you, and not actively trying to investigate your own death. Unlike the other races on Arelith, it is perfectly lore-friendly and in character for such creatures to know exactly who killed them and plot vengeance.

I just wanted to confirm: Has this been set aside even for these creatures, for the sake of keeping the OOC peace?

I don't mind it either way, please don't take the above as an argument for one side or another, just an explanation for why I wanted to ask at all.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: On immortals and forgetting

Post by Eira » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:34 am

It has not been set aside, no. The memory rules exist for server health.

And there's no reason a character can't believe a fiend will end up haunting them or want to take revenge.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: On immortals and forgetting

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:01 am

Just confirming what Eira says - the rule is exactly the same.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)