Crafting a shop fixture?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

KillGorPrime

Crafting a shop fixture?

Post by KillGorPrime » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:23 am

So I was lucky enough to get a DM to answer my question in game today but his answer was sadly incomplete, figured coming here would be better, I asked DM potato if it's possible to create a shop to put down somewhere and he told me that there's a shop fixture I can craft but he doesn't know how or what it's called, is this true? If so does it work the same as other shop stalls? IV been wanting to become a sort of traveling merchant that sets up shops from place to place every so often between adventures but can never find open stalls that aren't the 3 hour temp stalls and even those seem to be quite rare and not worth the hassle, if anyone has more concrete information on this topic or just indepth information on how shops work in general id be very grateful. Thank you!

~ Egg Rogol, the druid o' salt.
~ Jizzim Sweetjam, crippled spellslinging hafling.
~ Wioz, The wise hobgoblin.

Tikin

Re: Crafting a shop fixture?

Post by Tikin » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:54 am

Hi!

A few craftable fixtures that were recently added to the game are potentially what you seek, though they won't work in the same way a temp stall work sadly, just a visual help for your RP and a fixture inventory (means don't let items in the fixture when you put fixture back in your own inventory or these items will be lost):

Bar Table, Carpentry;
Beer & Boar table, Carpentry;
Fancy Serving Table, Carpentry;
Merchant cart, Carpentry;
Concerning Serving Table, Smithing

From what I've seen the last two are probably the best suited to your project. You can always go to PGCC (easier way is to -transfer your char from regular server) then go to saw horse and anvil to try these (no need to have any resource nor crafting ability in PGCC you can make anything instantly whatever DC and point cost), so you'll be able to check how they work and if they'll be suited to what you have in mind.

Hope this will help.
Good luck and have fun! :heart:

KillGorPrime

Post by KillGorPrime » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:05 am

Tikin wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:54 am

Hi!

A few craftable fixtures that were recently added to the game are potentially what you seek, though they won't work in the same way a temp stall work sadly, just a visual help for your RP and a fixture inventory (means don't let items in the fixture when you put fixture back in your own inventory or these items will be lost):

Bar Table, Carpentry;
Beer & Boar table, Carpentry;
Fancy Serving Table, Carpentry;
Merchant cart, Carpentry;
Concerning Serving Table, Smithing

From what I've seen the last two are probably the best suited to your project. You can always go to PGCC (easier way is to -transfer your char from regular server) then go to saw horse and anvil to try these (no need to have any resource nor crafting ability in PGCC you can make anything instantly whatever DC and point cost), so you'll be able to check how they work and if they'll be suited to what you have in mind.

Hope this will help.
Good luck and have fun! :heart:

Will players be able to take items from the fixture without paying? How exactly do they work if it's different?

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 am

Yes, anyone can take items from fixtures, without paying. It's not a shop.
Eventually such a fixture can give you some visual appeal toward other players, because like I said the cart and another one (got to be checked which one frankly) appear like things a travelling merchant would use.
But if you want to put things in the fixture, you'll want your char to stay connected close to the fixture I think, and probably use as many tool you can to advertise your shop, like town criers, eventually a sign or two ... Some people get very creative to make their stalls unique.
But even to do that the easier way is still the temp stall I believe.

I just re-read your post though ...

Looks like you are looking for more than 3h lenght temp stalls if I get this right ...
Then you are not looking for a fixture. You seek a permanent shop, that's got a 7 days timer. But that is more rare, and you often (not always) got to bid and pray that you win the lotery for the shop.

wiki page explaining shops:
https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Shop

KillGorPrime

Post by KillGorPrime » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:00 am

Tikin wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 am

Yes, anyone can take items from fixtures, without paying. It's not a shop.
Eventually such a fixture can give you some visual appeal toward other players, because like I said the cart and another one (got to be checked which one frankly) appear like things a travelling merchant would use.
But if you want to put things in the fixture, you'll want your char to stay connected close to the fixture I think, and probably use as many tool you can to advertise your shop, like town criers, eventually a sign or two ... Some people get very creative to make their stalls unique.
But even to do that the easier way is still the temp stall I believe.

I just re-read your post though ...

Looks like you are looking for more than 3h lenght temp stalls if I get this right ...
Then you are not looking for a fixture. You seek a permanent shop, that's got a 7 days timer. But that is more rare, and you often (not always) got to bid and pray that you win the lotery for the shop.

wiki page explaining shops:
https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Shop

I see.. not the answer I was hoping for but appreciate the knowledge nonetheless. For the fixture inventory.. can people open it while I am connected to it? Would be worried about stuff being stolen. And yeah I'm looking for a more permanent shop but also something like the merchant cart you mentioned as well so I might look into creating one of those too. Just don't want to worry about theft while I'm trading with the person? If the inventory is closed while I'm connected to it could I still open up the trade interface?

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:28 am

It needs confirmation I guess, but I'm going to suppose it works the same way as many fixtures and would allow several people to open it at the same time ...

These fixtures are probably best for "low value items", and eventually trading helpers (could contain catalogs of some form. Some player are very gifted to create in game catalogs to support their trades ... Enchantment Basins can be very helpful in that regard)

Economic part of the game is a real tough aspect when one starts Arelith in my experience, so I sympathize :-) ... Here's a nice post by the way where I've learnt a lot of things that helped with the coin:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32825

Also, got to keep in mind there is less malevolent acts from players than one could imagine ... We're ultimately playing a collaborative game, even in the cases where we play ennemies ... So, a nice merchant RP with the visible marks of inexperienced but nice and willing player are rather prompt to attract benevolent support from more experienced players, from what I've seen at least ;-)