Evil description spell and alignment change

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Machado

Evil description spell and alignment change

Post by Machado » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:50 pm

All undead summon spell have a [Evil] description on it. I got it, it is a evil thing in rp terms (don't want to discuss this issue here). But mechanically, if someone use it often, it will induce a alignment change to the evil axis?

*Don't mean DM overseeing or anything, just if it's an automatic thing.

Takes

Re: Evil description spell and alignment change

Post by Takes » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:06 pm

No, there is not any such system.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:18 pm

All alignment changes are manually done by DMs, and almost always they have to be applied for. I have never heard of an alignment change being inflicted on a character without warning; I have heard of some people receiving a DM warning that if they keep up on their character's path that an alignment change will happen, but that's got to be pretty dramatic; we're talking, like, paladins consistently helping out summonlocks alongside the fiends or Sehanine clerics (Sehanine being extremely against necromancy school spells almost entirely) casually calling up zombies.

THIS SAID, it is still evil. So if you're Good or Neutral and consistently use Evil magic, you probably need to consider an alignment shift towards the Evil side of the spectrum.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Machado

Post by Machado » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks, guys.
Always pretty helpful!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:18 am

Amateur Hour wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:18 pm

All alignment changes are manually done by DMs, and almost always they have to be applied for. I have never heard of an alignment change being inflicted on a character without warning; I have heard of some people receiving a DM warning that if they keep up on their character's path that an alignment change will happen, but that's got to be pretty dramatic; we're talking, like, paladins consistently helping out summonlocks alongside the fiends or Sehanine clerics (Sehanine being extremely against necromancy school spells almost entirely) casually calling up zombies.

THIS SAID, it is still evil. So if you're Good or Neutral and consistently use Evil magic, you probably need to consider an alignment shift towards the Evil side of the spectrum.

As a DM, this reply is just perfect. Just wanted to quote to confirm it's varacity.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:16 pm

Just to add: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#alignment

This is a fantastic resource for understanding alignment and how it is represented in the setting. A few quotes really stand out as well:

Alignment is a tool for developing your character’s identity. It is not a straitjacket for restricting your character. Each alignment represents a broad range of personality types or personal philosophies, so two characters of the same alignment can still be quite different from each other. In addition, few people are completely consistent.

"Good" implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings.

"Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.