Is using scrolls while moving legal?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

perseid

Is using scrolls while moving legal?

Post by perseid » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:20 am

I've been trying for a bit now to figure out the answer to this one and it's not entirely clear to me so at this point I thought I'd just ask. I'm aware there's some rules that could theoretically tie in, like if the animation cancelling rule ties in here (this even seems like a grey area given the historical treatment of old whirlwind), but then at the same time I've seen a lot of commentary in places like the community discord channel that suggests the opposite including from members of the contributor team (not diving deeper into the specifics there since the point is simply that even very involved members of the community seem to say different things). So what is the actual ruling? I always thought it wasn't allowed and refrained from doing it but if it is allowed I'd like to have a definitive answer because it'd obviously have a large impact on gameplay for people like me who were mistaken.

AstralUniverse

Re: Is using scrolls while moving legal?

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:44 pm

In the 17 years I've been playing here on and off, I have never once even heard of any rules regarding animation canceling. These things happen a lot by accident and sometimes they also seem like they happen due to multiplayer ping on the player-side. It doesnt seem feasible to enforce and I also believe that in modern arelith there's the possibility to tie anything you want in theory, to some 1 second lock-in-place mechanic if something like that was indeed an exploit. Obviously I'm not an authority but I'd say dont worry about it.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

perseid

Post by perseid » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:00 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:44 pm

In the 17 years I've been playing here on and off, I have never once even heard of any rules regarding animation canceling. These things happen a lot by accident and sometimes they also seem like they happen due to multiplayer ping on the player-side. It doesnt seem feasible to enforce and I also believe that in modern arelith there's the possibility to tie anything you want in theory, to some 1 second lock-in-place mechanic if something like that was indeed an exploit. Obviously I'm not an authority but I'd say dont worry about it.

I definitely agree, in my opinion since it's something a lot of players will likely do by accident from time to time anyway it would make a lot of sense to just allow it overall. My main reason for worrying was the Exploit section of the rules on the wiki where it says "Do not abuse animation cancelling." without elaborating further. Hence why I thought to make the thread since I've seen even very veteran or involved members of the community communicate different answers with little hard commentary indicating which side is actually right.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:18 pm

in my experience there's no visible benefit to animation cancelling except in some very niche cases.

on the other hand, i've seen people who could do weird stuff, consistently, by using animation cancels and it was very, very obvious that they were doing it.

perseid

Post by perseid » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:02 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:18 pm

in my experience there's no visible benefit to animation cancelling except in some very niche cases.

on the other hand, i've seen people who could do weird stuff, consistently, by using animation cancels and it was very, very obvious that they were doing it.

Animation cancelling in general has niche uses (hence why it's widely disallowed outside things like how we used to look the other way at using whirlwind in a fashion that cancelled its animation) but I was hoping a dm would comment specifically on using scrolls while moving because it is verifiably possible, so easy many people will do it by accident at least once in awhile without realizing, and something of such wide-reaching uncertainty that I've seen even contributors in the Development channel claim it as an actual advantage of using scrolls while other people claim it to be a clear violation of what's legal to execute in combat. Given its impact on the wider server meta it seemed like a good matter to have some hard clarity on.