Silvanis, LE Followers, and a Bone Shaman - Lore and Rp

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

YakkaFroot

Silvanis, LE Followers, and a Bone Shaman - Lore and Rp

Post by YakkaFroot » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:01 pm

In looking for a deity for my wood-elf bone shaman, I find myself in difficulty for finding a sensible deity for the character amongst the pantheons. Stripped of semantics and flavor, my character is pretty much an animal necromancer, who uses bones of animals for various spells and summons. Ranger/Shaman at the moment. And the act of necromancy was defined by staff members as inherently evil, so I need an evil alignment. No problem. Lawful Evil has plenty of room to work in.

However, none of the deities seem to fit very well into this nature/undead niche. I originally went for the ancient deity of decay and rot, but that deity is essentially the shadow-god in Stranger Things and is a bit too hardcore for a wise shaman to worship.

Silvanis is totally neutral and handles both life and death, growth and decay, which seems promising- as my character could be a shaman of the decay aspect of Silvanis- but the game will not allow me to select him as a god since my character is LE.

Lacking options, I went with Kelaemvor- but he's an ex-human, which seems an odd thing for a wood elf to worship.

Perhaps I should consider Malar, the beastlord? He doesn't seem too worried about undeath- only the thrill of the hunt.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Silvanis, LE Followers, and a Bone Shaman - Lore and Rp

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:45 pm

malar for sure. or you can choose one of the eldritch gods or, even, a demon with nature domain (these exist)

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:06 am

I'd just pick "Nature and Beast Spirits", it supports LE and it's vague to allow you to make your own concepts.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:11 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:06 am

I'd just pick "Nature and Beast Spirits", it supports LE and it's vague to allow you to make your own concepts.

I've played a few shamans and over half of them went for this because of the versatility.

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:52 am

I don't think that Silvanus would be entirely thematic in this scenario, given that you are leaning into undead. Its important to understand that in this setting, undeath is anathema to natural order/balance/what-have-you. It isn't "the rot/decay side of nature," because undeath stops that natural rot/decay process. Your character can totally have a warped opinion of natural balance of course, but as a player - so long as you understand that your character's worldview is pretty niche, you will understand the conflict that will inevitably come their way and be able to have more fun interacting with it, I think.

When approaching the idea of what deity to choose, think about your character in the grand scheme of things - like what draws them to necromancy or what their overall goal/outlook is. Do they follow a god out of fear? Do they want power? How do you want them to interact with the world? Do you think they might be easily mislead?

Going from there, consider a god like Moander - the ancient deity of rot and decay (i don't know anything about Stranger Things.) It is entirely possible that your character reveres a spirit or entity that is some aspect of a god like Moander, or Talona, or what-have-you, and your character doesn't know. Likewise, as a shaman, you can always choose Nature & Beast Spirits (an option that allows for all alignments) and have your wood elf pay lip service to several gods depending on what they need at any given time. The setting is polytheistic, after all!

Lastly, don't be afraid to be hardcore. A wise character can still be an evangelical maniac, or a madman who thinks the stars are talking to him, or a steward of wilderness who vehemently opposes conflicting doctrine. Wisdom isn't the absence of conviction. And most important of all - YOUR CHARACTER CAN BE WISE AND ALSO BE WRONG! Go out and be hardcore, if you want to. Your ability scores aren't stopping you.