Totemic Druid DR bypass?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BlackTemplar

Totemic Druid DR bypass?

Post by BlackTemplar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 am

I may of missed something but it seems totem druid has no way of bypassing certain DR with their totemic shape. Since neither weapon nor gloves get melded.

If I have missed a obvious way of dealing with this that would be of great help.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Totemic Druid DR bypass?

Post by DM Monkey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:05 am

The reasoning was that they have phenomenally large stats to cover for this. However due to the way bypassing DR works in the base game, you will be able to bypass DR at the same level as your stoneskin or premonition.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

BlackTemplar

Post by BlackTemplar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:05 pm

Thanks for reply. I figured it was along those lines and summons and spells often make up for it.

Was more curious as I found my LVL 13 druid was incapable of killing a tyrant fog zombie in his totem shape.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:01 am

You can check out the stats as they advance here: https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Druid#Wilds ... tem_druids

Totem druids are a little bit weaker at the beginning, but they get much more powerful as they progress and there's very little restriction on what other goodies and bonuses they get from the druid class in general.

ClockworkRed

Post by ClockworkRed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:25 am

From what I have seen the DR bypass does not work in the totem polymorph shape for stoneskin or premotion. I still suffer a lot from DR in totem shape at lvl 25.

In another thread it was mentioned that this is due to the fact that the totem shape does not have a creature weapon. As totem druids have no access to the beast shapes you need to wait for elemental shape or later plant shape. Totem shape has great ac but very bad damage.

I think adding a creature weapon and possible a bit of damage scaling with levels would improve the totem shape without balance issues.

There was also a plan mentioned that in the future there might come an epic beast shape that applies totem skin. That be a great addition in my eyes.

Pirates FTW

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am

Apologies, you're right. It is kept as unarmed + they gain improved unarmed strike when turning into this shape. Hopefully there are updates to it in future!

BlackTemplar

Post by BlackTemplar » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 pm

Glad to hear it. I mainly just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious, like a spell buff or similar. The spells and summons easily make up for it in the mean time till other shapes.

Although I just noticed they do not seem to get the 1d8 buff from improved forms either. I'm once again assuming due to the stats bonus this makes sense. Incase not though might be a bug.