Using Delevel to get to lower levels and play with friends

You have questions? We may have answers.
Marked

Using Delevel to get to lower levels and play with friends

Post by Marked » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:22 pm

Hello, I would like to get some clarification if this is considered abusing the delevel command. Me and my friends started together, but overtime some players got to higher levels cause we have a pretty big group with different time constrains. If I drop my delevel to get my character to a lower level with the exact same build, is this an abusive behavior? I understand that I would not get any benefits from it cause my XP will be stuck, considering the game will be waiting for me to "level up" as I already have the XP. The only benefit would be not overshadowing the other characters on the group, and i'm up to that, but at least if this is permitted i can level solo when I'm alone and when I get to play with then I would drop my levels.

I'm asking cause I pretty sure the -Delevel command is not indented for this, but I don't see any harm. The other option would be just not leveling up when I get the XP, but as I said, would be nice to be able to still get some progression when the other dudes are offline.

Hazard

Re: Using Delevel to get to lower levels and play with friends

Post by Hazard » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:07 am

I don't think it should be used repeatedly to level down and then back up, based off of nothing but my gut feeling and the worry that it'll get taken away from us.

If you really want to level with your friend, I think you should delevel and stay at their level/slowly progress as they do, rather than yo-yoing back and forth, just for continuity sake. Since your character does exist in a shared world with others, consider the weirdness of your character sometimes being far weaker and other times being far stronger, in that way. Possibly something to avoid, even if it isn't a rule break, just to be courteous to the setting. IMO anyway.

Also you could toggle on adventure mode for when you still want to make progress while playing at a frozen lower level.

"Use: -adventure

With Adventure mode enabled, a character gains only 50% of experience, but an extra 100% of experience goes to the Adventure XP pool. Adventure XP slowly turns into normal experience every IG hour. IE: Killing a 20 experience goblin would only give 10, but 20 to the pool."

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:02 am

An example of potential exploitation:

1. Level 30 character wants to level with his friends who are level 10, delevels.
  2. They go to a level 10ish dungeon and friends get full XP.
  3. Another level 10 group comes along and heated RP starts.
  4. The deleveled PC starts quickly leveling up, potentially even selecting Recommended just for extra HP/BAB/Saves.
  5. Now the fight is level 10 party vs level 10 party with a level 30 in tow.
  6. Party with the level 30 wins the engagement.
  7. Level 30 delevels and friends go back to gaining full XP.

I'm not saying the OP would do this either, but I could see how it could be done if open as an accepted option.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:27 am

This is exploiting.

Make a new character if you want the low level experience with friends, alternatively you can -remake your character and start from scratch. A DM will be able to lower your level to a desired level if needed, but you won't be able to get the experience back afterward.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Marked

Post by Marked » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I guess the solution will be playing on a frozen level with -adventure mode on as suggested. Now I can see how it could become problematic to use relevel this way.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:44 pm

Marked wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I guess the solution will be playing on a frozen level with -adventure mode on as suggested. Now I can see how it could become problematic to use relevel this way.

If you are getting ahead of your friends, you can always use https://astrolabe.nwnarelith.com/support and request a remote delevel. Don't have to mess about pinging a DM, just need to wait for one to approve it. Which doesn't usuall take long.

You'll go back to the level you want to be without getting told off.

DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.