Pirate Ink

You have questions? We may have answers.
l3laze

Pirate Ink

Post by l3laze » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm

I hope this is the right section but I would like to understand what advantages a Dread Ink has compared to a Buccaner.

Currently the only advantages I know of are

• 12 slots instead of 10 in Sencliff's bank

• Being able to use the smuggler without using gold

• Being able to use the portal inside the Estate

The basic problem is that the dread ink is visible to anyone and this makes it impossible to approach certain settlements without having to use disguise and full cover. I believe that the benefits compared to buccaner are minimal and a dread pirate ''should'' have a completely different reputation as well as some RP and mechanical benefits compared to other ranks.

With buccaner ink the smuggler costs 5 gold coins (completely negligible cost), the portal in the Estate is COMPLETELY ignored and unknown to many given the location, without saying that it is a one-way portal and therefore it is not possible to teleport inside of the Estate. Current rentals in Sencliff require greenhorn and swashbuckler ink, The only positive thing therefore is the chance of having a permanent lease.

Currently I don't see any really valid reasons to get Dread ink, reasons that would benefit a dread pirate's RP experience other than being looked down upon in settlements or not even having the chance to go there at all. Can you tell me what other benefits a dread pirate has?

-XXX-

Re: Pirate Ink

Post by -XXX- » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:03 pm

Only Dreads can bid on certain properties on Sencliff - most notably Wailing Maiden and Devil's Contract

l3laze

Post by l3laze » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm

And I highly doubt that certain ships and quarters will be bidding, so conceptually the possibility is there and not there at the same time

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:02 pm

the portal is totally pointless ever since the estate was changed from a guildhouse

there's better ways to access Sencliff

l3laze

Post by l3laze » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:12 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:02 pm

the portal is totally pointless ever since the estate was changed from a guildhouse

there's better ways to access Sencliff

Exactly

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:25 pm

l3laze wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm

the possibility is there and not there at the same time

Schrodinger's ink!

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:29 am

Dread Ink has much heavier IC consequences.
While there remains to be Dread Inked that may be willing to play inner-conflicts / discord among pirates' crew, they remain highly unusual.
Dread Ink is perhaps the step that a player is willing to take, to endure all open discriminatory or infamy from all other players from 'good' settlements.

Similarly, a Dread requesting to board a sencliff ship are almost always allowed without question. Especially so for functions such as moot conducted etc.

The downsides to how harsh a Dread is forced to take, similarly makes it easier to obtain trust from their own kind.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:52 pm

l3laze wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm

Currently I don't see any really valid reasons to get Dread ink, reasons that would benefit a dread pirate's RP experience other than being looked down upon in settlements or not even having the chance to go there at all.

Sounds more like an entirely OOC concern than whether your character would be striving for this or not. Having tattoos and being recognised for what you are is a big part of the setting of Sencliff. You're not responsible for how people react to your character, but maybe you can make a big enough impact that you'll either be welcome through being helpful or be feared enough that no one bothers you.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

ClockworkRed

Post by ClockworkRed » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:24 pm

Is Dread not also required for crew houses? Those do come up for bid at times.

Pirates FTW

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:43 pm

ClockworkRed wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:24 pm

Is Dread not also required for crew houses? Those do come up for bid at times.

Yup

nicebreakfast

Post by nicebreakfast » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:53 pm

When I played a pirate, the dread ink for me was more RP tool than ooc/mechanic advantage.

Btw - in my opinion dread ink should require more than just writs.

helitron

Post by helitron » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:46 pm

nicebreakfast wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:53 pm

Btw - in my opinion dread ink should require more than just writs.

I agree. It would be nice if it would be based on reputation. But this would be hard to implement mechanically. It would require DMs handing out the dread ink, or other pirates voting in a moot in case buccaneer pirates meet certain expectations to be regarded Dread worthy.

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood