Do Half-Orcs breed true?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Wethrinea

Do Half-Orcs breed true?

Post by Wethrinea » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:14 pm

This was discussed on the discord some months ago, but I can't recall if a definitive answer was given. So I'll pose the question again here:

I have previously thought that a half-orc was always the result of a orc and human coupling, but both IC lectures and the NPC descriptions in the half-breed camp indicate that half-orcs in many cases breed true: A half-orc mating with any other humanoid will usually produce a half-orc (or full orc if horc-orc).

The IC lecture attributed this to the "fact" that "The blood of Gruumsh runs strong", and I find that a rather interesting narrative to follow.

Tldr: Will a horc-humanoid coupling usually produce a horc because Gruumsh Stronk, or are all horcs the result of a (usually) tragic circumstance?

Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Do Half-Orcs breed true?

Post by Irongron » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 pm

My position for the server is that half-orcs are a mixture of human and orcish heritage, therefore relatively few are a mix of a direct union between Human and Orc, but rather largely from within existing half-orc tribes, because one parent was a half-orc.

I hope that helps!

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:09 pm

Wethrinea wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:14 pm

This was discussed on the discord some months ago, but I can't recall if a definitive answer was given. So I'll pose the question again here:

I have previously thought that a half-orc was always the result of a orc and human coupling, but both IC lectures and the NPC descriptions in the half-breed camp indicate that half-orcs in many cases breed true: A half-orc mating with any other humanoid will usually produce a half-orc (or full orc if horc-orc).

The IC lecture attributed this to the "fact" that "The blood of Gruumsh runs strong", and I find that a rather interesting narrative to follow.

Tldr: Will a horc-humanoid coupling usually produce a horc because Gruumsh Stronk, or are all horcs the result of a (usually) tragic circumstance?

So the lore and hours of research I have done on this exact topic all points to what you have stated..

Half-orc + humanoid = half-orc...

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 pm

I hope that helps!

It does! Thanks!

Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall