[Build Request] Barbarian

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tashalar

[Build Request] Barbarian

Post by Tashalar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Given I don't want to spoil the RP concept on the forums, this won't be too IC-information intensive, and there's plenty of time to mull it over in this thread as it's not a character I intend to play for a while. Feel free to recommend everything from the ground up, though my bare-bone pre-reqs are here.

I would like a sturdy -human- Barbarian build, that has the Ride skill - a horse is not absolutely necessary for the character, but it'd be nice (we'll see in the future if I get the award - it's no biggie). RP-representation through the skill regardless.

One that has some decent damage output, but I'd much rather they be a hardy tank/sponge and destroying things moderately for the group they travel with (or travelling alone) than absolutely destroying everything, but a glass cannon HP-wise. PvP is not a priority.
Given that mounted combat is not a thing (If it was a thing, I would be happy! But the Wiki says No.) I was considering going towards the larger weapons - Spear, Greatsword and Twin-Headed Axe crossed my mind, though I am welcome to ideas.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Hunter548

Re: [Build Request] Barbarian

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Barbarian 22/fighter 4/bard 4.

Take at least 21 CON, pick up the epic DR feats. Try to squeeze 21 STR in there as well for mighty rage. With a decent INT, you should be able to squeeze in ride, intimidate (For T-Rage, if you want it) and the various compulsory skills (UMD, Tumble, Disc, Spellcraft, Taunt, etc.)
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Catch me up in game in arround 11 hours from this post (23h, GMT -3). I would be glad to work it out with you.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:55 am

Unfortunately Yellena I have seen you mostly play Surface characters (And I lurk about mostly Downstairs). But if I get a chance I will.
I'll tinker with the PGCC on that one, Hunter, thanks.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I know you say it's for RP, but even if you get the gift, you are aware that ride is a non functioning skill on this server. (last I heard/read)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:13 pm

There is a function for it in the UD. Wyvern riding!

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Actually, it's not. It has a use these days. (Not that I was going to spoil that Lorkas :P)
But I am slightly confused as to your point - having the skill on my character sheet fluffs out my roleplay with some actual basis, rather than saying I'm a master of mounted combat when I'd fall off even trying to mount a horse.

So even if it didn't have a function on Arelith, I'd take it anyway. Thanks though!
Still open to hearing more suggestions, too.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:30 pm

If you want to go tanky and are okay with incorporating fighter levels, I strong recommend you sink the feat for exotic weapon proficiency.

It opens up dwarven war-axe, which is 1d10 base, 1-handed, and will let you tote a tower shield. You mentioned two-handed weapons, but if you're aiming for tank with moderate damage output, those aren't really necessary (especially since they can deprive you of 10 on your AC total.)

There's also the battleaxe, which has the same base damage and crit as a spear, but is one-handed.

The real question is do you want that 1.5x str mod on your attacks for a two-handed weapon, or do you want an extra 10 AC for tankiness? (And don't forget having a shield slot is one more item you can enchant with damage resistances/bonus con)
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Faye

Post by Faye » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Another reason for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whip!

I'm sorry but if you don't think a Barbarian on the back of literally any mount ever with a whip (especially a FIRE WHIP!) won't look cool then you need to re-read the bit in Game of Thrones with [redacted] and [redacted] and his whip.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 pm

I would go for the extra 10AC. I don't mind taking a little bit longer to kill enemies, and I have no objection to any sort of multiclassing/feat/gear/anything recommendations!
(Faye, I completely agree with you. Fire and Blood!)