Expanding on characters which the canon says little about

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Paidamion

Expanding on characters which the canon says little about

Post by Paidamion » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:38 pm

While looking over the list of demon lords I've stumbled upon the curious pair of Munkir and Nekir. They are the lords of layer 77: The Gates of Heaven. Their portfolio is The Afterlife and The back door to Paradise. Beyond this, no FR-specific book has any details about them.

I want to play a Warlock who serves the twain. The idea is that the pair are able and willing to "smuggle" a handful of the greatest of their servants to heaven in return for doing their bidding on Toril. More often than not this comes down to getting more people to sell their soul to the pair in exchange for a shot at heaven, drawing desperate sinners who are afraid of facing the consequences of their actions. The vast majority are devoured by the pair or made into demonic servants while an elite few are rewarded for bringing so many souls to their masters.

Should I just go ahead with this? What happens if I run into another character with a completely different take on Munkir and Nekir? Since the second paragraph is not canon it could lead to an awkward situation.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Expanding on characters which the canon says little abou

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Normally, I'd say go for it and do whatever makes sense, but in this case I'd advise you to talk with a DM about it. RPing your Evil Warlock who steals souls and makes deals with malicious outsiders as going to heaven is likely to ruffle some feathers. At the very least, I expect that your meaning will be misunderstood by some.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Go for it! Your character can believe anything they want and since you will have no direct contact with your dark masters who cares. I think we could use more characters with crazy ideas about their gods. In the Ervis Cale novels there are some Kara-Turan Maskaraan monks with a different out look on Mask that is really telling (to me at least) of how religion in the Realms can be extremely cultish. Different sects looking at the same god in completely different ways. Such beliefs CAN breed conflict, roleplay, reasons to discuss all this crazy dork stuff in game.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Garrsi

Post by Garrsi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Your PC can claim whatever it likes, that it worships a horse goddess of shrubberies or that it sees dead people. It doesn't make it true.

I'd say go with it, your PC thinks it's true and it really doesn't matter if it is or not nine times out of ten.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:16 pm

Sounds awesome to me. Plenty of opportunity for interesting IC discussions there.

*Plays a smiley, polite, friendly, openly-serving Sharran cleric (or is she?), may be biased towards unusual characters*
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:22 pm

Confirm what ze players say. Feel free to claim this. Feel free to believe this.
Perhaps hold a little skeptisism when your pet deamon tells you that it's going to let your soul go to 'heaven'.

Do not be surprised when you die, you find yourself in hell.

Chelomo

Post by Chelomo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 am

I love the idea, could be a great concept for a sin-eater.