Infernalist 'Power' question.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ArcanaFTW

Infernalist 'Power' question.

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Now, I had an idea for a character who would have the 'power' to make any man/woman fall in love with them, or at least make them feel more comfortable and safe around her. The power would be completely optional, and the person on the other end doesn't have to react to it at all. This 'power' comes from a pact made with a Devil and stops working the more the person gets to know the character, but never truly fades. Would this be allowed? I think it's an interesting concept, and I'm completely fine with people not wanting to roleplay with it or not being effected due to strong will or something like that, but I would like DM/sensible-person confirmation as to whether this would actually be allowed/frowned upon or not?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Infernalist 'Power' question.

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 pm

If you're okay with it, and they're okay with it, then go nuts. I'd stop at trust, though. Using it for seduction would be the first step on a very bad path.

I would encourage a class choice which supports the concept, like Warlock, Cleric, or Blackguard. (or whatever else seems reasonable) Something that encourages CHA heaviness. If you're just Joe Schmo the Fighter who happens to be magically attractive for no reason, you'll get funny looks.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 pm

I was thinking Cleric/Warlock, and I certainly wouldn't use the power for any seduction-romance RP, simply either using them as a tool or earning their trust!

Faye

Post by Faye » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Do it Arcana.
Do it.

I'll just quickly get a 5% so I can play a Night Hag pacted to the Hag Countess and counter your attractiveness with Hag eyes. We'll be wondrous.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 pm

That's three characters within two months, I've made now.

This is becoming a bad habit, and I blame Faye entirely.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:22 am

I know there are a lot of Warlocks with a lot of concepts and for the most part DM's have let them play. I have heard there is a few that have had some push back however... :( much to the frustration of the story lines that were laid down previously but ya.... If others are willing to play along and its not too out there, things are usually acceptable from what I've seen.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:00 am

Preacher wrote:I know there are a lot of Warlocks with a lot of concepts and for the most part DM's have let them play. I have heard there is a few that have had some push back however... :( much to the frustration of the story lines that were laid down previously but ya....
The general rule is that things which are not too outlandish and add to both the awesome and the fun are good. Things that are too outlandish and detract from the awesome or the fun are bad.

Some time ago (and I'm not sure if this is still the policy, but it hasn't been publicly retracted) the staff said that they were going to focus more on how well characters are played and less on how well they conform to canon, when making decisions about what's okay and what's not okay. So, when you're deciding what to do, don't feel that you have to scour your official D&D source books to ensure that what you're doing is acceptable. Just try to make sure that it's in the same vein and adds something positive to the environment.

And don't get too attached. Ideas get shot down. I've had a few of mine vetoed, and even had to delete a character, once. Most situations are salvageable and the staff will be more than happy to help you steer a wayward character into a more appropriate direction.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:16 am

Personally, I'd focus a lot in RP and in OOC chat on showing yourself as a player that other players can trust, and then people are more likely to go along with ideas like this. I've seen a few people choose to go along with an evil plot that involves enchanting them in some way that isn't mechanically supported, and in each case the player wound up frustrated because it seemed like the villain didn't have anything particular in mind apart from "You're mine now, so do what I say".

If you are known (either widely or to the specific players you want to RP this out with) as a trustworthy RPer who is going to try to make a good story, then you'll likely find people will go along with it. I can hardly imagine something worse than a pridegamer feeling as if they're in charge of my character, so show that you're willing to win-some-lose-some with people.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:38 am

How will you roleplay this without god-emoting?

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 am

Whenever I get into roleplay with a character who is accepting tells I send them this..

Hi! I roleplay my character having the power to 'seduce' at a glance, make people feel more comfortable around her and such, depending on their willpower. You can choose whether or not you want to play along with it, it's entirely optional!

It usually ends up in a short conversation about it, and most people don't seem to mind.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:32 am

I have a character that in their description they is an "RP cookie" note.

On physical contact there is apossibility of a random flash of insight, past or present into that person. In the "rp cookie" details I tell them it is entirely up to them if they wish to do this or not. I've had some fun with the few who decided to do it.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:16 pm

I'd say as long as you have the Cha and/or social-skills on your character sheet to back it up, and don't try to force it on people, I really can't see a reason why you couldn't RP that this is the reason your character sheet says what is does. There's lots of ways a high charisma can manifest, and "I don't know, it just feel like I can trust this guy" is better than yet another "omg, so smexy."
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:29 am

Sorc. All of the charisma for dc's. Charm spell?
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!