Average/Good build stats

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Valo65

Re: Average/Good build stats

Post by Valo65 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:38 pm

The greatest misconception about Jack's chart is that people seem to think that if their Weapon Master isn't at the highest end of the spectrum that their character sucks.

When someone who is good at building makes charts like that, the average to below average is what they expect most characters to be able to reach without difficulty, while good and great scores are for things that characters are focused in. If you have a remarkable build you might see an excellent. I have a wizard build with an AC of like 78 and over 700hp, for instance, but I don't have any other builds that get close to it, and I have to sacrifice a LOT for it. So much that the character becomes nearly useless. (Wizard/Monk/Pale Master. Dispels hurt.. but if PM ever adds to CL I might make it.)

Likewise I could make a character that deals upwards of a thousand damage per round, but it would be highly situational and the character in question would lose out on a lot. (Rogue 30, STR based)

Though if I had to give one build that "had it all" I'd have to say Ranger 23/Weapon Master7. Stealth, scythe, knockdown, and an animal companion, mixed with access to divine wands (I wonder if it's possible to make divine wands of haste) and other goodies.

So keep this in mind when you look at the very high scores labeled "Excellent" and realize that it doesn't come without cost.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Valo65 wrote: (I wonder if it's possible to make divine wands of haste)
Travel domain cleric.

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Has it been tested? I think Haste has an Innate Level of 3, and I know that Wizards and Sorcs can make wands of Animate Dead thanks to its lower Innate Level.. But I don't know if this carries over on Arelith or if it might have been changed at all.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Valo65 wrote:Has it been tested? I think Haste has an Innate Level of 3, and I know that Wizards and Sorcs can make wands of Animate Dead thanks to its lower Innate Level.. But I don't know if this carries over on Arelith or if it might have been changed at all.
Wands can be made up to Innate Level 4.
Haste is Innate Level 3, regardless of caster class used.
Thus, wands of Haste can be made by Clerics.

Source: I play a Travel Cleric with Craft Wand, and have made them in excess.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:53 am

Jack's numbers are rather satisfactory, personally. An optimal (note not 'powerbuild') will be in and around that ballpark.

Powerbuild is also the biggest buzzword ever.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil