Tracks & Investigating

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mayonnaise

Tracks & Investigating

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hey there! I've got a character heavily invested in ranger levels. I'm curious, though! What skills do both of these functions operate off of? For tracks, I refer to using the actual track placeables. If any of this is supposed to be hidden, or not known - sorry!

Thanks!

Mulled

Re: Tracks & Investigating

Post by Mulled » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Investigate
Using this near a bloodstain will give player information about how the person died. It keys off Search and Lore and requires both to be high on the character (Character with very high Search would still require a high Lore to be able to recognize everything). Results of investigate have three levels. Easiest result is what race of monster killed what race of character. Second is what type of damage was inflicted, making the kill. And third is what type of 'class' the characters were. Note that classes are not directly from Neverwinter Nights.

The -track console command improves with your ranger level.

I don't believe that the output from track placeables changes once gained.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Investigate can also be used to uncover hidden information in various places in the modules (both FL and regular, though I think it's more widely deployed on FL). This also keys off Search and Lore and you will get more information the higher your skills.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Mulled wrote:I don't believe that the output from track placeables changes once gained.
That sounds pretty crappy, since I have a 0.0% success rate on getting any information from those ever on any character I've ever played.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Have you played a ranger?
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes. A couple of them. Layla was a ranger for a couple of IG years, even.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Err... I've never seen rangers not successfully get output out of track placeables. Do you play with your server window collapsed or something?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Rystefn wrote:Yes. A couple of them. Layla was a ranger for a couple of IG years, even.
Tracks do expire after, I dunno... six IG hours?

My Rangers have never had trouble reading fresh tracks, but it's usually about a 50/50 split between fresh and expired.

Would be nice if old tracks returned "These tracks are too old to read clearly."
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Maybe I just have terrible luck or play in lonely corners other people don't go to often most of the time, then. But I've gotten the same "you can't tell anything from these tracks" ,message on my rangers as I get on non-rangers every time.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:01 am

You do need more than the bare minimum of ranger levels to get information from the placeable tracks.

At least in my experience. That or I always clicked on old tracks when was a level 3 ranger.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:21 am

Tracks work. I always get info out of those. Even when some mobs follow a PC through the transition, I can get the tracks of the mobs even (Unarmored... leaving the area) . No race information on npc mobs using transition tho. :lol:

I dump a lot of skillpoints into Search / Lore / Spot - these are traditional PnP tracking skills anyhow.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:25 am

You can also use -investigate on npcs. They will give a very sketchy description of anyone who's passed through.

Rangers and druids can also use the command on animals.