Guide to Magical Merchantile

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Guide to Magical Merchantile

Post by triaddraykin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 am

"Good evening there, Friend! Yes, you there, you look like a scholarly sort, come on over here. Have I got a deal for you, a tome that will pay for itself a thousand times over!

Oh now don't look like that, it's quite true! Tell me, Friend, have you ever found yourself unsure of just how much to charge for a wand, a scroll, a potion, and once the deals over, you wonder, did you set the right price? Were your numbers correct? Was it a fair cost, was it the same as that fellow you sold to last week.

Worry no longer! Triad Draykin's Guide to Magical Mercantile is your first and last resource for how gold and magic mix! You can know how much materials cost, your extra components, even add a little bit on the top if you manage to make a truly exceptional wand. It'll even tally it all up and tell you just what your profits are.

Now, I know what you're thinking, how much will this cost you? For you, Friend, you're one of my very first customers, and word of mouth is the best way for people to hear of this amazing gift... Spread the word, and this guide is yours for free.

Just press this File glyph here, and you can Make a Copy of your own!"

Triad Draykin's Guide to Magical Mercantile

(This has been a labor of love since August 16th. Every spell that can be wanded, scribed, potioned. Inspired by HoneyBunny's Guide someone shared with me after I tried making my own wand guide for Angela. All prices are adjusted for Arelith. Go to the public Discord in my signature if you need to let me know of a correction. It's view only, to make your own copy, have Google Drive and go to File>Make a Copy. You can change the Quantities and the Charges, and the system does the rest.)

Sent over here from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15517#p130538, perhaps this could be pinned, mods?

EDIT: For clarity's sake, this is the original worksheets https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. There's significant changes and additions, but the core is still these.
Last edited by triaddraykin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

frightnight

Re: Guide to Magical Merchantile

Post by frightnight » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 am

nice job bro
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 pm

This is wonderful. Thank you!
It's crooked, but it's the only game in town.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Made some corrections and changes. Redownload for your version, you'll see if you have the updated version by the date in the top-left.

Changelog:
  1. Corrected about 20 Wand Costs that had been shifted by a line (To test, Lightning bolt would cost 1,980 instead of the proper 3,960)
  2. Corrected statement about Greater Sanctuary. Divine version can be scribed.
  3. Changed Sales Multiplier to be able to show non-whole numbers (1.5 would effect the formulae, but 2 would show)
  4. Changed outputs to show non-formatted numbers (1,234 wouldn't be accepted by Arelith shops, whereas 1234 would)
Upcoming: Will add Greater Sanctuary in once testing is completed.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 am

Changelog:
  1. Added an Alphabetized List.
  2. Divine Power is no longer able to be scrolled.It's been removed from the lists.
Upcoming: Still don't have Greater Sanctuary data that I'm sure of. Can any diviners scribe it for me?

As well, can we get a pin of this thread?

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 am

As well, can we get a pin of this thread?
Speaking for myself: there were two reasons why I would not pin this when it first came up. One of the concerns has already been addressed.

For my second concern: I'd be more comfortable pinning this when there's attribution added for the person whose list inspired yours. I work in education, so I've never been able to get past the more-than-"inspired in part" similarity between your list and this one that went uncited in your post.

Don't get me wrong, what you've added to that list is great work in its own right, but it's good practice to give credit where credit is due.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:52 am

The person who gave me that list said they didn't know who gave it to them anymore. I'd absolutely be glad to change it to that I gathered the data, and modified and expanded their original design... Or whatever else would be appropriate, I normally just make my own designs, but they did pretty well and reinventing the wheel was too much on top of all the background work.

EDIT: For clarity's sake, this is the original worksheets https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. There's significant changes and additions, but the core is still these.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 am

I see, it got passed along and the original source forgotten. That changes things a little, but I can inform you that the sheet was first created by Honeybunny, if you want to provide attribution.

What data was it that you gathered? Your sheet calculates the gp/xp costs by formula rather than listing them as independent observations, and there was more than enough information to deduce those formulas in the original sheet (once the caster level correction for scrolls was put in along with a few other minor corrections).

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am

If you download the sheet and look in View, and Hidden Sheets, you'll see a Data sheet with all of my work. I made the initial list and data off of the Craft Scroll wiki page, and soon found out there were spells that did not use the innate spell level in their calculations. I went through every scroll in the PGCC that Arelith links to, port 5120, checking to see which spell and scroll and wand needed corrected from the 'just use innate formula' list. This .ods file is the only 'in progress' copy I could find, if you want to get an idea of the versions I went through.

NWN wiki provided the links and spell list.
Honeybunny provided the basic layout, and I wrote over their data rather than using it to deduce anything, as I prefer to check data myself. I recall finding something wrong that influenced that decision.

You could say literally all I did was rearrange and verify a few bits of data, took months to do it, and that I don't deserve any credit at all. I'll take my name off of it, if that's what it takes to get this pinned. I could submit it under another forum account.

This is a resource to the players of Arelith, a solution to a problem that I observe in that I'm often getting asked what this or that cost of this or that crafted item is, how much to sell for, so on. All I actually care about is that this be put in a position that players can benefit from it. I care about this community, and I wanted to help it. Admittedly, I don't want my efforts to be wasted as the other forum pages drive it further down and eventually to the next pages, to be forgotten. I feel I worked hard on this, and want what little or lot that I've done to be used, not cast aside.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 am

The first thing I did when you posted this originally was make my own copy to dissect your work. It's good work and well put together, and you definitely deserve credit for it--as does Honeybunny. :)

Note that I pinned the topic in General Reference after my last post. I'm gonna refrain from pinning it in the Shanty also, just because it fits better here.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Credits changed, and thank you very kindly. I'm glad HB got credit, they put a lot of work in themselves.

That said, I'll let the Shanty post pass on, and continue the Changelog here as it adapts.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Changelog:
  1. Updated formulae that were referencing groups of cells instead of individual ones. These didn't actually give wrong values, but good to correct anyhow.
  2. Added a guide specifically for Flameborn spells, easier than picking them out from a long list.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 am

Just the solution that I was looking for.
I hope the computation are still considered fair despite its age.
Great tool for no-brain selling wands. I hate the decision making after I see the roll of the wand charges.

Glad its still stickied.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Wed May 04, 2022 10:22 pm

They mostly are accurate, only real update needed is for the new spells released since then.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library