Hating on the new gold system.

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kashisjonny

Re: Hating on the new gold system.

Post by Kashisjonny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:53 pm

DaTexican wrote:Roi was making 10-20k a day selling barkskin wands. Mayor of burrowhome said there was a need for them, she started putting them in a shop and wa-la the money started flowing. If you want money, you are going to have to sacrifice something to get it. Time, money, exp, ext...

Erf, you restocked.

Guess that is the rest of my gold going bye bye tonight.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 pm

What?! Barkskin wands are being sold on Arelith? That only happens like once every two RL years!

Seriously, Druids, get it together.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Yeah for sure, finding barkskin wands is on many levels far better/rarer than coming across a decent artifact.

Divine scrolls too. We pvp fanatatics need our healing.
.. Also divine wands.

Also bard wands. Warcry!

And please, people stop selling protection of evil wands for ludicrous prices! 5k for an 800gold wand is painful.. Granted anyone doing that and actually selling them, well, hats off to you i guess. /jealous

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Just imagine how much a mystic theurge with Craft Wand, Brew Potion, and Scribe Scroll could make.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Good work midget, we have succesfuly fixed everyones problems and i didn't even read the thread.

Onwards to our next victory!

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Arelith doesn't have an economy and it spawns infinitely, so merchants and whatnot will never be as rich as a well-geared and well-built epic character adventuring day-to-day.*

*Always exceptions, but this is the standard. And I'm glad for it. Simulating some sort of medieval economy would be a headache and painful. Let's just go kill stuff and get gold.
Last edited by Seven Sons of Sin on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:What?! Barkskin wands are being sold on Arelith? That only happens like once every two RL years!

Seriously, Druids, get it together.
Oh god, I didn't realize they were in such high demand! Guess I'll have to restock them again :). Explains why they are my best seller :geek:

Guess if nothing else it brings very fun people to Burrowhome to RP with. :)
Be Prepared

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Barkskin is the only widely accessible source of high natural AC. Potions give +3 for 18 minutes, while wands give +4 for 72 minutes, so wands will always be in demand.

The next best thing is a Shadow Shield scroll, which lasts 13 minutes and usually costs about 8k gp.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Adverts :
Barkskin Wands! So Good You Woodn't Want To Miss Them!

Treet Yourself!

Thank me later.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm

DaTexican wrote:wa-la
*voilà

It's French.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 am

I think that a lot of Arelith "economy" issues would be solved by capping character bank accounts.
As a side effect this would require disabling -factions from holding any money whatsoever to prevent players from creating one player -factions to stash their excess funds in.
On the other hand, 1) characters who make lot of gold coins would be forced to spend them more often, 2) no more "mayor emptied the city coffers before retiring his office" (or at least the stolen gold coins would become "retrievable"), 3) new market exchange opportunities (gem market comes to mind or trading items for items).

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:04 pm

If this would become the case then something would need to change depending on the $ cap. Some people on the server make alot of money every day with their shops. Unless there would be a tempting money sink for people then this would not be very fun for merchant players.

"Oh no I hit 100k limit. Now what do I do?"

I mean you don't have infinite storage space for items either so its not like you could store items as a collection either. I think this would just cause more problems.
Be Prepared

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:30 pm

There is a cap, as far as I am informed, due to the data type the number is stored in bank accounts. Ten million is the cap, I believe.

Which of course isn't exactly restrictive!

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:30 pm

I can confirm the cap is ten million.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Ah so there is a cap already but ya 10mil seems petty unrestrictive. No problem with that here. I would just hate to see the bank say "Yes we will no longer take your money." XD
Be Prepared

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Yma23 wrote:I can confirm the cap is ten million.
*Tibbs has a new goal*

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Well, yes... as has been mentionned above, 10,000,000 gp cap is fairly unrestrictive. I had more in mind something like 1.000,000 gp cap or even less.
And I can speak from my personal experience that characters who own shops can make gold coins much easier and faster than those who do not. That being said, I would not be overly too concerned about those "merchant" characters as it would seem to me that they are already privileged by owning a shop in the first place. I would even hazard a guess that lowering the gp bank account cap could encourage shop ownership circulation as players of characters who have reached the gp cap might be more eager to part with the shop.

Alternatively, as I mentionned before, it could also encourage players of using an alternative form of in game currency (gems seem ideal, but there are some other items out there that could serve this purpose as well).

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:14 pm

With Morkhav, in a couple months owning a shop and without a great focus nor stress, I managed to get more than 2 millions.

A key was to manage a shop in Wharftown, what is a spot with a high amount of visitors (with high levels)...
Shops in Sibayad, Crow's Nest or Guldorand get's a lot less of visits, so lesser chance to sell your goodies...

Now, with Aeon, after how much? a month playing him? I have almost 90k gold, without a shop were I could be selling anything (I have one, but as if I had not, since is located in Sibayad :P ) and without a high economic activity at all... And I think that's one is a sweet enough amount, considering all.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Mirkwood-Warrior26164

Post by Mirkwood-Warrior26164 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:46 am

Haven't really had issue gaining gold per adventuring or merchanting my shop, Though id say the prices are overly inflated on certian items, certain merchants sell (Player Focused ofcourse) Even myself am guilty of this and as soon as I can get back online im going to be the first to change this and revert to the Craft Guide Book for item pricing and hope with my example the market follows. If not, oh well I tried and will resort to selling what my PC continues to sell at a reasonable price that even the newest of players can afford.. Seeing that its not a competition to see who can make the most coin here and whatnot, I wish all too enjoy the marketing experience reguardless.
I am a sword of my lady Moon, Selune the Goddess of the moon and stars.

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:59 am

I have had no issues getting gold after the change. At level 7, one of my characters had earned (and subsequently spent on frivolous things, damned libertines) around 300k. This was without 'appraise whoring', too!

My other level 8 had stacked up about 200k after working his knuckles to the bone dragging granite from Old Stonehold (nothing spawned on the route, so he would alternate between getting the stone, and getting the cotton for cloth bolts during the day). He got his eventual end gear lined up with the earnings. That said. I am absolutely stingy. These characters would not pay 100 GP to get from Cordor to Wharftown by boat. More often than not, they would not pay 25 GP for the caravan, either.

Pick some pockets, son.
When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Oh hey, this thread woke up at the same time I did.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 pm

Mithreas wrote:Oh hey, this thread woke up at the same time I did.
... Been asleep for a Month?
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12 pm

In Singapore for 6 weeks, so nearly the same thing.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

IDidNotDoIt

Post by IDidNotDoIt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Meanwhile, I'm forced to take a cut from the adventures, Staring at bags of coin going "Uhm, T-thanks.."