Hating on the new gold system.

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Hating on the new gold system.

Post by zeylin17 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:15 am

So, I forgot just how much I really loved the click body gold system, until I lost my recently acquired admantium shield. Due mostly in part by the fact you didn't need to litter your inventory with useless junk to sell. B/c I am the sort of player whom usually collects everything for everybody to sell so that we can gain the most profits.... but not it's even more important to do so.... then next thing I know 10 maps after I am done adventuring my shield unequips itself and poof. 100-200k valued shield gone... for .... about 2k worth in iron weapons collected.

So, yeah shame on me for not paying attention to my inventory... But when the system was so useful, is it really worth all the extra work to be that attuned with how much inventory we have left.

So, I just thought I'd vent anyone else may vent or push back if they'd like.

Thank you for your time.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Hating on the new gold system.

Post by Twily » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Well, I'm not sure this belong in general reference :P

Anyways, As always this comes down to the fun vs. realism thing that people are always choosing sides on about the gold system. It's realistic that you'd have to watch your gear carefully, not gather too much rubbish, that gold isn't appearing on animals, that each spawn has only one bag of gold(which opens RP for thieves),etc.

But then there's the fun aspect. It's not fun to loose a shield to something that at times some may find annoying for inconvenient.

Overall I love the way the gold system is now and I get the feeling it's here to stay, since the devs added then removed the previous system. Also, I don't mean to sound rude but your post is exactly the reason I like the current system. :P I always found it odd that iron weapons and all that aren't worth it to most simply because mobs drop gold in an unrealistic way.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:09 pm

First and foremost: Zeylin, I understand your dislike of the reversion and I am sorry for the loss of your shield... That said though, the wording of your post title and text is little more than a rsnt few will pay attention to, or if they do reply constructively...

I think, the trouble is less the fact that the shield was lost and more the greater picture at stake.
Pre-change, I agree. There was too much gold in the economy, it was too easy to get filthy rich. Prices rose everywhere accordingly.
Now, it is the other extreme. Some players sell their improved heal kits for 4k per stack. The essences and player crafted wands and porions have never been cheap.
The amount if stuff and resources used up to one trip cannot be profitted in anymore, even if gems and weapons and jewlry is collected and sold.

Coming home with maybe 2000 coin, plus another 2000 from sold stuff if you are lucky divided by 4 partymembers leaves you with a scant 1000 k.. Which would be great, if the market followed suit.

As is, those who have time to hunt and grind 24/7 will remain very rich. Those that focus more on political RP or even worse are casual players that only play a few hours per evening and have to split time between gaining money and do non-hunting RP are crippled by it. There aren't too many other ways to earn money aside from crafting for which you have to pay to get all the ingredients together (and on top of it it's ridiculously tedious) ... Or relentlessly hunting...

I personally would love to see a compromise... Rather than 300 gold dropped per monster.. Have the max. Be dunno.. 30 or 50 ...
And have critters not drop any at all.

That would still leave less coin in the module, but at least a slightly better chance to those who don't have coin coming out of our ears...

Granted, I might be barking up the wrong tree here alltogether and in time maybe the economy will change and adapt, making things cheaper again. I for one would welcomd that, too..

As is, I struggle to pay for my room, and can only dream of continuing my character's ambitions of freeing slaves :P (which is ok.. I make RP out of that still ;) )
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I did mention I was venting, so that was forthright and obvious :D

I know the way of the WBTHTBA, I still needed to say what was said. :)

If this is a rant, then it is so. However, it is not mean or ill intended and the context does not read that way. Just my very own opinion and it is clear to me Twilly that the Devs and or specifically Mith, (if he is infact the one who has modified the gold) are or were interested in changing the way the gold system worked for a better more fluid system and it wasn't implemented properly and if there is scripting preventing such a fix, then so be it. I'm fine with either. I just got used to the awesome sauce that was given to us and enjoyed not having to worry about the small, trivial things. P.S. I've noticed some critters not dropping any coin that previously used to drop some. However, at present time I can't remember who or what they are at the moment. I will try to get a list if I find a commonality.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Some prices will come down because they're a product of how much people had to spend, how long they took to make/find, and how much money could be made doing other things instead. Some things just aren't going to come down much, because the cost to make them is set by the module. The basin is the basin, regardless of the gold drops. This change just means that not as many people can have them.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Consider too that prices will lag money supply (one of the things Keynes got right, whatever else I think of him), because an adjustment of public perception of reasonable prices will take time to recalibrate to the new money supply level. They will come down though, and in many places are already doing so.
TANSTAAFL

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Ecstatic wrote:Consider too that prices will lag money supply (one of the things Keynes got right, whatever else I think of him), because an adjustment of public perception of reasonable prices will take time to recalibrate to the new money supply level. They will come down though, and in many places are already doing so.
On top of this, it really is possible/allowed to talk to a shopkeeper and say, "Hey, this is too expensive. Will you take a lower amount?"

Thus far, I've seen precisely zero people try to haggle.

They just walk up to the shop, look at things, and mope away.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Very true. Most of my characters can be haggled down because I have a strong preference for selling to people face to face and potentially meeting new characters. I can't imagine that I'm at all unusual in that regard.
TANSTAAFL

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Haggling and Bartering are an issue worthy of a thread all of their own. I have deliberately set prices high, trying to get customers to come and talk to me, to haggle and get measured.

Gold is not hard to come by, solo or in party. its just getting the right people together. Partying and Adventuring: another topic worthy of a thread of their own...

*mumbles into his ale*
Last edited by Tathkar Eisgrim on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Same, Ecstatic. I always try and make it clear that I am open to negotiatons (not just because I am terrible at pricing merchandise).

I didn't make a lot of gold compared to most before the old system was reinstated (but I wasn't around for very long before it was removed, which is definitely a factor).
But at the moment it is indeed difficult to justify adventuring when it's no longer worth the risk involved - if you end up spending way more than you'll get back from gathering -everything- and having a good Appraiser sell it (and I always picked up jewellery, what weapons I could carry and most uncut gemstones on adventures with the new-old system) on healing supplies and such, it's discouraging.

EDIT: I did notice the gold rate in certain areas has improved of late though compared to the risk involved, which is nice!
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:23 pm

It's much too soon for me to make further gold changes. The current environment needs another month or so to settle in before I can really review it.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 pm

I can keep my character supplied with little coins, so I truely did not notice how markets are.

It requires a mindset like: You dont quaff a skleen and essence your weapons when the monster's challange rating is effortless.
That way adventuring is truely expensive.

At the moment, there are a lot of people are factions sitting on heaps of coin leafover from the previous system. They can afford still the higher prices, which slows down the adaptation of the market. But then the unseen hand will appear to reaorganize the prices fitting to both casual and hardcore players.

There are other factions in certain items, determining the prize. Since the crafting by ID was introduced I can produce more skleens with less pain, and that makes me more likely to lower the price and sell them in batches.
Same goes with ingots, glass, etc, etc.
Have faith! :)

William Steele

Post by William Steele » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 pm

the system seems to be the exact same as before, and there wasn't really anything wrong with it. it survived for years like that.

the issue is the market lagging behind demand. this will take some time, but in 3-4 months IRL, it will catch up.

as for the sheild... that sucks. but it happens. has happened. will happen again. you just need to be more careful with your inventory.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Yes, I do now. That is also my point. I didn't have to prior to the returning of the old system. I know there is a happy medium and hopefully if and when Devs + Mith reevaluate the current system they will perhaps think of a more fluid way to get that working. Thanks for everyones responses! I appreciate everyone keeping it civil. I know the previous gold threads were a bit over the top!

P.S. I haggle my goods as well.... to some folks!

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 am

I personally love this new/old gold system where gold is more scarce and you actually need to share the loot with fellow party members. As others pointed out, prices should gradually drop, so have faith :-)
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:34 am

I feel your pain dude,

I had lost a Masterly Damask Keen weapon in the past, and that was a ^%$#
Never ever bothered with the Adamite Shield for the same reasons, <------that happens alot

After my own loss of the weapon most of the time I put the weapon and shield in my inventory manually, and also I have a section of my inventory dedicated for my gear and I never ever something else.

In regards of the New/Old system is the same one we had in the past and only humanoids drop coins
now hopefully the prices come down soon because to me is ridiculous to pay 10k for a attunement potions when they used to cost like 6k and even with the old click /gold system never payed that sum for one but many still does to this day.

I got used once again to the old/new system but at a price as I'm wary to go out with people I don't know, I had witness the ninja looters in action and players &^% one to another over tells and to avoid all that %$# I rather go solo honestly. I can even trust a Dwarf at the server anymore :D
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Faye

Post by Faye » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I found an Attunement Potion for 2,000 GP recently! Prices do seem to be lowering, ever so slowly.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Same thing happened to me a while ago, lost an adamantine shield and a m-dask scimitar (atleast twice).

However, it was 100% my own fault: I just had tooooo much stuff. My character owned a communal quarter so throughout pretty much all of their lifetime I never had any room for myself.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:40 pm

I suspect there are some players / some shop owners that do not frequent the forums and are not even aware of any change in the gold drops. Certain raw ingredient prices, by way of example, have caused me to raise my eyebrows at the posted price.

The incentives to lower prices are also slight. A handful of gold is going to keep your character fed and watered indefinitely. Characters don't starve to death. Why should the mega-rich trading coster lower its prices to suit the adventurer plebian classes?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm

It should start to even out, once the characters created under the current drop system outnumber the characters who have benefited from the free gold party.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:59 pm

One might say that the click system released a flood of wealth on the servers. It probably benefitted some players, and hurt others. There might be different takes on this. One, that it should be possible to get a lot of gold so you can buy good equipment. Another, that some items simply should be so expensive, that you really had to put a lot of efforts into achieving them, and then, maybe never get them.

Or try to balance and find something in between.

Probable you can't please everyone ...

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 pm

The click system was fantastic. I loved that to death. The only real problem was that it paid out more than once.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:39 pm

My problem with the new system is that it's now 2-3 times more profitable to solo than to find a group. And that's assuming you got your full share, which, frankly, isn't very likely.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm

If you're in a group where everyone wants gold, yes. Otherwise it's a good team effort for everyone to band together to get gold easier for their goal.