ARELITH MAP PROGRESS

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

ARELITH MAP PROGRESS

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

PHASES:

A first sketch about how would be the frame of my map...viewtopic.php?f=20&t=392#p3523

1. IG/IC Exploration and collection of data
2. Codification of mysteries to integrate in the map (hidden text, cyphered riddles...)
3. Making of a draft (Drawn to hand)
4. Fixture of any fatal mistake (after revision)
5. Second IC/OOC revision
6. Coloring and ink of the definitive map (Drawn to hand)
7. Share with the Arelith Community

Current status: Phase 2 & 3

Technical characteristics:

Style: Ancient medieval map with illustrastions (Dragoons surrounding the sphere that frames the island, heraldry of settlements, and others)
Format: A2 (33 x 47 inches)
Paper: ancient scroll textured paper.
Inks: Black, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow.
language: latin (Ancient Rome classic language) = Loross
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Winter83

Re: ARELITH MAP PROGRESS

Post by Winter83 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 pm

OHMAN cannot wait *.*

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:language: latin (Ancient Rome classic language) = Larass
Loross! Just in case it gets used on the map somehow. I hate to be the guy doing all the spellchecking, it makes me look like a dick. :P

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Someonehere123

Post by Someonehere123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Kuma wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:language: latin (Ancient Rome classic language) = Larass
Loross! Just in case it gets used on the map somehow. I hate to be the guy doing all the spellchecking, it makes me look like a dick. :P
Well, you are a dick, but you're mildly endearing now and then to the wrong people and this is a rare instance where you mean well.

Seriously though this map is going to be sick.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 am

Someonehere123 wrote:
Kuma wrote:
Well, you are a dick, but you're mildly endearing now and then to the wrong people and this is a rare instance where you mean well.

Seriously though this map is going to be sick.
none is a dick :P but the dickers ofc...

Thanks for pointing this, I am just not familiarized with that word, but is making me think that I will make a post with all the words and names that I will use in the map so everyone could let me know if any of those could be wrong spelled.

(I will avoid English as Common Standard Tongue in the map) so expect all the used names and words in Loross...

Miscellanea:

Ecce Gloria Arelithiae ......... ("Behold the glory of Arelith")
Morkhav Wolgheist hoc traxit mapa... ("Morkhav... drew this map")
Hic Sunt Dracones .............. ("Here are dragons")
hic sunt squali .................. ("Here are sharks")
Terra Incognita ................. ("unknown land")
Ignotis locis ..................... ("unknown location")

Cardinal points

North .............................. ("Septentriones")
South .............................. ("Meridies")
East ................................ ("Oriens")
West ............................... ("Occidens")

Settlements (optional):
In the case of cities, forts and towns, I will add a legend inscribed on parchment accompanying the coat of arms, the English name, as an exception to recognize these places.

Civitas Cordorie ................ ("City of Cordor")
Urbis Mionis ..................... ("City of Myon")
Aurea atria ...................... ("The Golden Halls" -Brogendenstein-)
Pax Cordoria .................... ("Peace of Cordor".- here referred to the territories under the influence of cordor)
Urbs antiqua Benlinum ........ ("Ancient town of Benwick")
Urbs Portum ..................... ("Wharf town")
Dormisti Castra ................. ("Lumberjack campment" [Guldorand])
Lapis tenent ..................... ("Stonehold")

Other Locations (optional):

Mare inuia ....................... ("Trackless Sea")
Siluis ab desperatio ............ ("Forest of Despair")
Rupes ab Crania ................ ("Skull Crags")
Tenebrae Spirensis ............. ("Dark Spires")
Luctus ............................ ("Mourne")
Magnum Coemeterium ......... ("Great graveyard" -of Cordor)

Resources (optional):
I am not sure about if add into the map symbols for every resource and a small explanation about what is each one inside a little square in the map, but...

Aurum ............................. ("Gold")
Argentum ......................... ("Silver")
Cuprum ........................... ("Copper")
Stannum .......................... ("Tin")
Dura ligna ........................ ("hard wood")
etc
etc
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Are you keeping the map focused on the island of Arelith? Or are you going to do the whole archipelago?

Either way, good luck on the task.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:Are you keeping the map focused on the island of Arelith? Or are you going to do the whole archipelago?

Either way, good luck on the task.
Thank you!

let's see towards the archipelago...

Red Dragon isle: None imput about how large it could be since almost every area is inner area, and not yet surface... but the first one. is it a volcano where the Halls have been carved inside? What size it has? no idea.

Kohlingen: two map areas where the Castle is perched in the northern one... OK, could get added...

Sibayan: A dock-exotic city within the desert and a bunch of desertic areas that makes maybe the biggest isle after the own Arelith island... hard if not imposible to map since you can't even make an idea about how is its silhouette... I could just scalate it acording the amount of current areas of "lost in desert", and even then I would be missing the coastal edges and beatches.

Sahuagin's isle: The one where I never was at moment... No more than a small surface area of tiny isle, where all the whole encounters are hiding in underground sink dungeons...

From all these, I got only the alocation of the RDI, while nothing IG allows me to know which one is the direction and distance to anyone (unless I calculated the sailing time on a ship to each place and compared that with the standard average speed on a medieval ship, and then, just to know the distance, but missing the direction... northern of X? Soouthwestern of Y?

The archipelago could be mapped? Yes, maybe... but then sacrificing a lot of the available space to draw a smaller Arelith island (so lossing quality)

For those reasons, I will go just on the main Arelith island, and maybe add some symbolic portions of the other isles all around the main one, within the illustrated draconic frame.

I will try the A2 format so I could place the most acuratedly posibly every important location... (Cordor drawn as a medieval city taking a good portion of the cake there in the southern part... will be awesome)

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm

I am considering aswell the chance to make a drawn map of each town...

Cordor is going to be important in the Arelith map considering the size that town has... So I will need to drawn it with more careful detaill than any other... I am thinking in the posibility to make extra maps for each Town... Now my project is getting more and more ambicious and I didn't even completed the first phase :D

but then... If I finally decided to map each city, and most important, Cordor, Brogendenstein and Myon... I will need then the complete heraldry of all the noble houses and orders each one had (to include the coat of arms on the propper maps... Perhaps, Brogendenstein could keep the crests of every Dwarven Clan, all around the main one of the Realm.

Anyway, I would start this ONLY once done with my first project for the Arelith Map.

Thank you

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 am

Why dontya ask for IG help? I am pretty sure there are lots of explorers out there who'd wish to participate and help.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 am

Winter83 wrote:Why dontya ask for IG help? I am pretty sure there are lots of explorers out there who'd wish to participate and help.
And I did it.

I started to ask IG and already got the help I needed with some of the most dangerous surface expeditions (like the peak on the Dark Spires... those artic manticores going alone hurts seriously)...

Now the exploration is almost done, I only need to complete the screenshot puzzle to use as reference for my map with the easiest areas (my character is level 27, so he shouldn't have any trouble at all with Cordor surrounding areas, right?). Yes, I am feeling a bit lazy with the easiest areas, but in a week I should complete it and start the drawing (work where nobody could help me yet)

Once I completed the screenshot puzzle, connecting all the areas between, I will add a silhouette guessed to the island (the coastal edges) and send it to Artos so he could give me any feedback he could consider Morkhav could have been notice in his explorations (to fix anything really wrong that I could be doing, just in case)

Then, once aproved in a IG meaning sense... I will start the real hand draw.

All the work is being started and based on IG RP. Nothing aside the Loross thing, that I will RP to request it from the Arcane Tower mages, will be brought in OOC meanings.

I tried also to make a Cartographic Guild, but after some chances broken to meet Catalin Snow (a recognized cartohrapher), and after some announcements IG never answered, I decided to go alone in my project, also considering I am the one who for real will draw it.

The heraldry I will use is also obtained through IG RP. I met Amana for Wharftown, Mithrim for Myon, Kouto for Guldorand, Louis and someone else for Cordor (still needing the Cordor information about how is the current or the former one), Sarrah (or someone else) for Benwick, Gar, Broind and someone else for Brogendenstein...

Don't doubt I am working IG about this as a previous phase, while my "blademaster cartographer" (yes, odd combination) gathers the required info...

I am using this forum just to let some people interested to keep imputs about my progress.

Thank you

Thank you

Katze

Post by Katze » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:18 am

dont be afraid of screwing up something on the map. distortion would give it an authentic look since most maps had some sort of distortion before GPS and satellites.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:17 am

Katze wrote:dont be afraid of screwing up something on the map. distortion would give it an authentic look since most maps had some sort of distortion before GPS and satellites.
;)
No doubt, the medieval maps had serious distortions.

But I want to keep respecting the Artos' view on the Arelith geography, to make it closest to the original spirit.

Perhaps, just to bring some of him guessed proportoins and silhouette. And because there are things our characters are supused to learn and see but that we, as players, miss cause the limitations of the Aurora editor.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:30 pm

This current week, I will send the puzzle to Artos (I am now close to complete it).

So I expect starting phase TWO soon... Stay attuned :P

Thank you

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:35 pm

You should open up a dropbox or deviant art account or something similar to drop all your raw, semi complete, and completed maps so we can see the progress! I am looking forward to seeing it done but would love to see the progress too :D
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Preacher wrote:You should open up a dropbox or deviant art account or something similar to drop all your raw, semi complete, and completed maps so we can see the progress! I am looking forward to seeing it done but would love to see the progress too :D
About the screenshots puzzle... I won't make it public for the following reasons:

1. ROLEPLAYED / IN GAME MAP: The map will be done by real hand and pretended to be an IC and IG creation. (And I invested a lot of time pretending to be doing it with my character) So share it OOCly would kill this spirit.

The screenshot puzzle is supused to be the bunch of drafts and notes that Morkhav is making in order to help him to draw the map... (Since if Arelith were a real world, I could have a better perception of how it is, is why I am using the screenshots instead my own hand in this pre-draft phase: To have the best acurated references that I couldn't get otherway due the limitations of a non 3D game nor a rightly scalated one)

2. COHERENCE: Has some superpositions that force me to bend or distort the mapping areas as they are, so could seems dirty and a mess...

3. RISK OF METAGAMING: Is an open window to a metagaming map. I will give what I am capable to do with my own hands as if I were my own character so I could pretend to do it IG. So only once I had a draft of what will be the definitive map inked... I will decide if share that or not (but I tend to think I will only share the definitive map in public, unless Artos wanted to leak the drafts that I will send him)

4. IMMERSION RUINED: To see a screenshoted map slightly breaks immersion for everyone, kicking the world feeling as each one imagine it is and placing it in the "I see how are now the squares of this chess"... Auroras tileset has limitations that I don't want to enforce by showing it.

5. EXPLORATION & DISCOVERIES BROKEN: Would break the taste of explorations and surprises that every player could experience by exploring by themselves the island... I know that get a minimap is not the same, but is a teaser...

For this same reason, I will avoid to place where the diferent resources are... That maybe could make a diferent map ordered by any of the Governments of the island by hiring a explorators guild or character... and then, they wouldn't surely share it with all the island...

To have a realistic medieval map won't be the same, since that map should only contribute to feed the imagination and curiosity of characters as enforce the immersion and the spirit to see by their own eyes how really is each area by looking themselves...
Ancient maps helps to dream... (at least to me).

At last,

:arrow: Morkhav will give a copy of the Arelith Map to the governments of every surface settlement. So, if someone wanted to have a real copy of it, and pretend he owns another copy with his character, he will need just to RP with that government or with the own Morkhav, to get one IG too.

:arrow: Real copyrights will be shared with the Arelith Staff, so they could be allowed to use it as they wanted without any worry. (If they cosidered the map deserved to be used) :mrgreen:

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Preacher wrote:You should open up a dropbox or deviant art account or something similar to drop all your raw, semi complete, and completed maps so we can see the progress! I am looking forward to seeing it done but would love to see the progress too :D
All right! as per request... here is this... (have piety for me, I made this in a quarter of hour... to let you have an idea...)

A first sketch about how would be the frame of my map...viewtopic.php?f=20&t=392#p3523

Enjoy and thanks for your interest!

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:14 am

DELAYED

but... I am acquiring the draw materials and starting to scalate the plantifs that I will use to draw the frame... Soon starting the draft of the map.

Artos13: I am delaying the silhouette of the island (that can wait or that I might leave it as a blurry, degraded zone, between the sea and firm land, with annotations of unexplored coast)

In the worst, I will keep following the proportions of your current map and the one found in Cordor, but also keeping the proportions found IRAM (in real Aurora maps).

Anyway, as soon as I had drawn sugested silhouettes of the coast (and if that were available to be mapped in RP meanings, I will send them to you)

I also want to RP and discuss about with Catalin Snow, to respect her dedication to the Arelith Cartography... bad timing for us to meet at same time :S

I added a new PHASE: Codification of mysteries to integrate in the map... For freaks as me, I try to insert three or more levels of hiden messages, with "secret" information...

While also I am creating an exclusive system of writing for the map, though the language will be a Latin (Loross), to add also an additional level of complexity...

And well... I said enough. many could think I am just teasing too much, and that could be right.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Forgive me... For the silhouette I will use the one Artos13 draw on his own map... I totally forgot about that -_-

So there is not need to bother him... Just collecting data now to implement the riddles, misteries and secrets... and starting to draw the draft!!!

So updating:

:P

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Already made a system of cyphered writting for the outside part of the map to use with the Riddles and secrets I am going to add into the map...

SOme of them will point to certain special locations... others will refer to ... secrets!

I will post tomorrow a sample...

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am

Cypher.jpg
Cypher.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 12661 times
TEST. Do you like or dislike these letters?

Here is written... something.

Thank you

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 pm

They look neat, all runic and such.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Cypher2.jpg
Cypher2.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 12649 times
Another sample writting some Arelith stuff...

Thank you

Katze

Post by Katze » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:06 pm

is that Arabic?
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:58 am

Katze wrote:is that Arabic?
Absolutely nope.

This alphabet is distantly inspired in the Greek alphabet, with some influences of the writing quenya of Tolkien (tengwar) and different some, included the Voinich's mysterious text.

basically I included some letters I liked from some of those (alpha, omega, delta... as some elven tengwar "t" among others, and some new letters ... and well... yes, some arabig numbers can be recogniced there, like "3" that could also be "epsilon" too...

But this is not meaning that alfa were the same as "a", nor beta or omega, nor three etc.
Nothing is what could be expected in this alphabet. :lol:

Also... I have designed it to be written from left side to right (the Arabic alphabet is used from right to left side). (hint hint for those looking to break it before the release of the own map)

Thank you

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:16 am