NWN EE Log Rotator

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Drowble Oh Seven

NWN EE Log Rotator

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:46 am

Posting notSigma's NWNLogRotator here, for anyone that's like me and forgets what RP they were involved in by the next day. Works with EE. Filters out server messages and provides readable colour coding.

Example log (by the creator) here.

Two little hiccups I ran into during setup:

1. Make sure your chat logging in settings.tml is set up with game.log.chat.all set to true. Just having chat.text enabled will result in the rotator filtering out all your text and leaving you with an empty log. Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

[game.log]
        [game.log.chat]
            [game.log.chat.all]
                enabled = true
            [game.log.chat.emotes]
                enabled = false
            [game.log.chat.text]
                enabled = false
2. Using the client launcher option built in to the log rotator will just launch the base NWN, without any workshop content you've downloaded. This can be sidestepped by either opening the log rotator manually, then launching EE through steam normally. Or, if you're lazy like me, a super-simple batch file to launch both at once. Mine looks like this (noting that ArelithLauncher is just the folder I've slapped the LogRotator exe into. Nothing special here. Make it whatever you want):

echo off
cd C:\Users\Documents\Arelith\ArelithLauncher
start NWNLogRotator.exe
start steam://rungameid/704450
exit
I'm sure cleverer people than me can come up with more elegant solutions. But it works. Assuming you're a steam install on windows. Other OSes are a dark and forbidden magic, and I know nothing of that place.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: NWN EE Log Rotator

Post by Skibbles » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:06 am

I'm 'necro-ing' this thread after an -ama discussion with a new player to bring awareness to the fact this kind of tool exists. The Log Rotator has received an update in 2021, still works fine, and I use it still. It can keep track of the log even while going server to server.

To addendum some of the instructions above: Logging is now available as an option inside NWN itself and doesn't need to be enabled in text files anymore.

Tip: Since the logs are saved as an html, and can be automatically exported to a centralized folder (anywhere you like - I have it export to Google Drives), you can use Window's built-in search function to sift through your 1000+ logs to very quickly find what you're looking for. (For example you can type a character's name and pull up every log where you spoke to that character or talked about them, etc).

All in all this is perfect for recalling fuzzy details if you're a big derp like me, combing through a huge combat log looking for a potential bug, making DM reports, or just nostalgic review of good old moments.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:27 am

I love the Log Rotator and use it every time I log onto Arelith. It's such a good tool, I can honestly recommend it for everyone who roleplays on Arelith 😊

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:48 am

I'm not a big fan of spooky exe files, that's why I shared the source on the spooky exe I made.

Not casting any dispersion, but for those that are also afraid of exe ghosts it is possible to have a .bat file rotate your logs. Adding that as an additional reference.

This works with steam by putting a shortcut on your desktop. That's the "Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition.url" below instead of pointing to the nwmain.exe. Or put the shotcut wherever else you want. This bat file opens nwn, you play as normal, then when you close nwn also close the bat window and it'll rename the log.

@setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
@echo off
::Your NWNL:EE docoument directory on the next line, the location of your logs directory and nwnplayer.ini
set EEDocDir="C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights"

::Your EE nwmain.exe install directory on the next line
set EEInstallDir="C:\Users\YOURNAME\Desktop" 

set logdir=%EEDocDir%
  cd /D %EEInstallDir%
  ".\Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition.url"

echo Waiting to rename logs
PAUSE

for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime /value') do set "dt=%%a"
set "YYYY=%dt:~0,4%" & set "MM=%dt:~4,2%" & set "DD=%dt:~6,2%"
set "HH=%dt:~8,2%" & set "Min=%dt:~10,2%" & set "Sec=%dt:~12,2%"
set TODAY=%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%
set NOW=%HH%-%Min%-%Sec%
move %logdir%\logs\nwclientLog1.txt %logdir%\logs\log-%TODAY%-%NOW%.txt

Who is the audience for this post?

Majieu

Post by Majieu » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:41 am

Also for a cleaner log to read through, below is a nice list of filters that I use in the log rotator's "Filter Lines" box for Arelith servers. Maybe its just me not setting the rotator up properly but a lot of text gets included in my log that I don't care to know about. This removes most of it without being too intrusive... I also recommend adding "(your player name) killed" as a filter.
-----
Food:,Water:,Rest:,Piety:,Item:,Points:,points:,XP:,title.],title],written.],message],break],break.],rank:,inventory],name:,Area Setting:,[Select action],[Done],minute(s),second(s),Available*,roleplay bonus,adventuring bonus,bonus damage,rest menu!,Your patron is,AC from,Tumble :,is once again available for use.,Transaction Successful!,(RL) period.,(DC):,value:,completed),product:,production],points],Smith]

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue May 03, 2022 9:23 am

Thank you! I never really played with the filter settings, and those adjustments are wonderful for log readability.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue May 03, 2022 1:53 pm

I tried using the rotator yesterday but have received an error, stating it can't read the chat log file which I directed it too (via watching the how to video from site).

Any ideas?

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue May 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:53 pm
I tried using the rotator yesterday but have received an error, stating it can't read the chat log file which I directed it too (via watching the how to video from site).

Any ideas?
I had that same error. I fixed it by opening the Log Rotator in administrator mode 🙂

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue May 03, 2022 10:54 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:18 pm
Edens_Fall wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:53 pm

Any ideas?
I had that same error. I fixed it by opening the Log Rotator in administrator mode 🙂
That worked! Thanks!

Majieu

Post by Majieu » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:38 am

Majieu wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:41 am
Also for a cleaner log to read through, below is a nice list of filters that I use in the log rotator's "Filter Lines" box for Arelith servers. Maybe its just me not setting the rotator up properly but a lot of text gets included in my log that I don't care to know about. This removes most of it without being too intrusive... I also recommend adding "(your player name) killed" as a filter.
OK I have to do it again, but more proper, -maybe- for the before-last time, but I know I'll likely find more to add... It's just such a nice tool within a nice tool...
Below is an updated, LESS INTRUSIVE filter list..! (It's still not perfect, I catch the odd missing line in my logs...)
My first post's filters created the odd line of speech to be cut out from the log... This new one is close to bullet(hellball?)proof and is much nicer to look through, too. Also, I still recommend adding "(your player name) killed" as a filter. Thank you all for your story magic, enjoy.

-----
] Food:,] Water:,] Rest:,] Piety:,] Area Setting:,: [Select,: [Speak,] Lost Item:,Item],minute(s),second(s),Available*,: [Deposit],: [Continue],: [Back],: [Next page],: [Withdraw],: [Use,: [Done],: [Open,: [Previous,: [Next],: [Edit item,: Rest,Item category:,: [Create,: [Preview properties],: [Take Possession],: [Rename item],: [Inscribe item],characters written.],: [Write,: [Erase,Click Done to finish],Severity (DC):,Severity (difficulty check),Required crafting points:,] [ID:,Total value:,End product:,] Acquired,Your skill rank:,Remaining daily crafting points:,] Available Crafting Points:,[Proceed with production],Product name:,crafting points],: Started production (,[Speak the name,: [Append to,: [Insert line,] You shield ,] You distract an ,] You have refreshed your quarter.,: [Abandon shop],] You receive a little roleplay bonus.,] You receive a little adventuring bonus,] Stored Adventuring XP:,] The time is now,] You are progressing at the production.,is once again available for use.,bonus damage from base,: Welcome to the rest menu!,hour (RL) period,items saved. This chest has a limit of,: [You are inscribing,] You can not rest wearing armor.,: You are currently renaming,Select item category,: This is a record of this shop's,: This is your shop.,: Are you sure you want to release this shop?