The Name of a Troglodyte

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

GoboJenkins
Arelith Platinum Supporter

The Name of a Troglodyte

Post by GoboJenkins » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Who can say why we find something interesting or not. Maybe just because it takes a reward to play one. I have been interested in Trogs for a little bit of time, it even motivated me to lvl an old toon (this toon was created and still had some limitations from the old Kensai class you used to be able to choose). I leveled him to 16 and deleted earning me "thankfully" a "normal award". So where to start, names are so important to me, If I get a name wrong or it does not feel right I will end up remaking that toon several times in order to get the right feel for the thing.

So I looked over : https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Troglodyte_(5e_Race)

And found some interesting things on their names.

Code: Select all

Troglodytes don't have the imagination for arbitrary names, so they often simply give their children descriptive names, such as 'One-Who-Stalks' or 'One-With-Pale-Frills'. Such names are of a utilitarian nature and rarely have any bearing on the individual gender. Troglodytes from different clans will often combine their individual name with their clan's name, such as 'One-Who-Stalks of Those-Of-The-Stony-Bluffs'. Most other races will simply shorten these names to 'Who-Stalks' and 'Stony-Bluffs'

Personal Names: One-Who-Stalks, One-With-Pale-Frills, Him-With-Two-Fingers, One-Who-Frowns, She-With-Pale-Skin, One-Who-Seeks, One-Of-White-Frills, etc...

Clan Names: Those-Of-Stony-Bluffs, Those-Of-White-Caves, Them-With-Iron-Claws, etc...

Common Names: Some troglodytes will take names from the cultures they find themselves in, so it is not unheard of for a troglodyte to have a Common, Elvish, or Dwarvish name.
So it leaves it pretty open but also gives an idea of the type of energy or thought that goes into the name. It makes me think of Dances with Wolves and the woman's name "stands with fists" Which makes me think of native American names.

I just wanted to have a conversation around this and see what others have thought.

Do I name it something like Hits with Stone or something more traditional.
- One can never have too much information.

GoboJenkins

Re: The Name of a Troglodyte

Post by GoboJenkins » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:06 pm

No one as interested in names as me?

I found this: http://www.20000-names.com/male_native_ ... _names.htm

And from that I found

MATCHITEHEW: Native American Algonquin name meaning "he has an evil heart."
MAKKAPITEW: Native American Algonquin name meaning "he has large teeth."

So maybe I can work with those.
- One can never have too much information.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: The Name of a Troglodyte

Post by Kuma » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 am

This is pretty fun to think about!

I didn't do heaps of research on trogs when I wrote the henchmen, but I did have them reference an old NPC (Xi'Taath) who was a henchman when Andunor was first founded and later deleted. He was great. I added Khr'Taath and Gn'Taath,the 'Taath suffix being presumably some clan modifier. One of them has a line of dialog about this.

"I am Gn'Taath son of Xi'Taath, He who was the Slaughterer, who came after Bree'Taath, She who possessed the power of Second Scent. My legend begins here, in their claw-marks."

I like to imagine that they're somewhat klingon-like in their warrior culture mentality, and this might be reflected in their naming conventions, while also throwing in their cannibal cuisine angle.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)