Solutions to fringe problems.

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Party in the forest at midnight

Solutions to fringe problems.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:45 pm

I'm going to use this thread as a place to put answers to strange problems people run into, and answers people find for them. So there's a record of it, and people can do a forum search and find an answer. Please add things to the thread if you have anything.

Problem: A writ says to scout an area. You go to that area, and you do not get completion for it.

Solution: Close the game entirely and open it again. Don't just log out, you need to entirely close the game. The problem is an issue with the server desyncing with you, meaning it doesn't think you are where you actually are.

Closing the game entirely and opening it again is a really good general first step for troubleshooting as well. I recommend people try it if something isn't working right. It fixes sprites not loading too. If you enter an area and portals or objects haven't loaded, close the game and open it again.

Someone on discord was reporting this issue. We were trying to direct them around the Lake Minmir region, until they showed a screenshot of their writ completion, and their minimap. They were standing in the zone that should give them credit and weren't getting it. I didn't know this could happen, so hopefully this will help people with troubleshooting.

Amateur Hour

Re: Solutions to fringe problems.

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:42 pm

A question I get asked through "-ama" a lot:

If you seem to be walking everywhere but aren't encumbered, aren't slowed, and aren't in stealth or detect modes, try toggling autowalk on and off (by typing in "-autowalk", then "-autowalk" again).

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:32 am

Scrolls not stacking?

You likely have scrolls with different "Useable By:" classes. This is due to the loot items being NWN default, and not having Arelith-specific classes such as Warlock or Hemomancer. Put them in a scroll case and remove them, as this creates a 'new' item each time it is put back in a container. Your scrolls should now be updated. This theory holds more or less true for many other items with similar adjustments - for example, "Crystal", a gemstone item that can be found in some places, becomes Obsidian after being put into and removed from a gem pouch, as it was updated but the original items still exist in a few places.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:45 am

Move speed decreased even if you have freedom of movements?

Toggle on and off the stealth mode, then you'll walk as fast as normal (still can't run if you are heavy loaded)

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:44 am

Computer running hot and/or usage through the roof on a modern rig?

Set a FPS limit at max of 90-100.

Gideon DeVay
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Gideon DeVay » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:13 am

Good Character wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:44 am
Computer running hot and/or usage through the roof on a modern rig?

Set a FPS limit at max of 90-100.
I was today years old when I stopped burning a hole in my desk with my laptop on NWN.
"Yog don't think Beat Up Guy know how dogman work."

Evelynn Longbrooke-rolled uncermoniously
Drakas Austraxas, The Quiet Fury

Salasker

Post by Salasker » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 am

Not a problem, but a bit of a time saver.

You find a bunch of scrolls on a bookshelf or chest. Annoying to try to identify them and then put them into the scroll case, or maybe you CAN'T identify them and you don't want to use the 'Put all scrolls in container' option to keep some that you use separate. (Yes, I know there's tools to do that, but I'm lazy I am...)

ANYWAY, if you kill a mob, you can place all the scrolls in the remains. Click away, click back and if you've enabled the auto-loot function, bingo; all the scrolls you put down are shoved into your scroll case and you can continue your dungeon crawling.

Salasker

Post by Salasker » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:22 am

Completely unrelated, but you can 'Tell' to yourself by clicking on your own portrait. If you're setting prices for your shop, putting in ID codes for crafting or dealing with bank tellers, this lets you do it without breaking immersion for people around you by either speaking or whispering things like '20,000' or '1297'.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:04 pm

Salasker wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:22 am
Completely unrelated, but you can 'Tell' to yourself by clicking on your own portrait. If you're setting prices for your shop, putting in ID codes for crafting or dealing with bank tellers, this lets you do it without breaking immersion for people around you by either speaking or whispering things like '20,000' or '1297'.
I think the trick to this is you need to click on your portrait inside the chat window and not your portrait at the top right of the screen.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:16 pm

Trying to quickly arrange fixtures? Can't figure out how exactly the cryptic -move_fixture works? Here's a way to get fixtures the way you want 95% of the time:

1. Drop your fixture. This will begin to trigger an animation.
2. Stop the animation before the fixture drops. You can force this by using the S key or clicking away.
3. Set yourself up to face where the fixture will be.
4. Drop the fixture again; it will drop it immediately without the animation possibly spinning your around.
5. -rotate_fixture 180 in case the fixture is facing the wrong way!

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:14 am

Click and drag fixtures from your inventory to the ground where you want them instead of dropping them. Thank me later.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:14 am

When moving or rotating fixtures, you can just do -move or -rotate; you don’t need to type -move_fixture

Also, cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) work for rotating.

You cannot move something LESS than 0.2 or MORE than 1.0 up or down (Z axis) or 2.0 left, right, forward or back (X and Y axis).

You cannot rotate something LESS than 20 degrees or more than 359 degrees.

Remember that negative vectors are just as possible as positive ones.

Also! If you do -pickup you will pick up the nearest fixture to you, and -pickup (fixture name) will pick up a SPECIFIC named fixture. Very useful when doing fixture stacking/overlapping and one piece is being difficult.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:01 am

Rei_Jin wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:14 am
When moving or rotating fixtures, you can just do -move or -rotate; you don’t need to type -move_fixture

You cannot move something LESS than 0.2 or MORE than 1.0 up or down (Z axis) or 2.0 left, right, forward or back (X and Y axis).

Also! If you do -pickup you will pick up the nearest fixture to you, and -pickup (fixture name) will pick up a SPECIFIC named fixture. Very useful when doing fixture stacking/overlapping and one piece is being difficult.
Thank you so much. This is a huge help to me.

neverwinternightly

Post by neverwinternightly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:04 am

Hazard wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:01 am
Rei_Jin wrote:

Another piece of advice with this that I find super helpful? Type -move or -rotate with no numerical input and it will tell you what fixture you're about to move/rotate. Stops you from having to play a guessing game when you have multiple fixtures close to one another.

ALSO! If you notice a "phantom fixture" after sliding things around, try rotating the things you moved in their new position. Usually clears that up!

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:24 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:01 am
Rei_Jin wrote:

As a note if you -do- want to move something less than 0.2, or rotate less than 20 degrees you can do the math to make it work.

Want to move something 0.1? Move it -0.3 and then 0.2 - now it's moved 0.1. Same with rotation, rotate is 35 degrees, then -20 degrees will get you 15 degrees.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.