Skal Announcement - Reference

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DM Poppy

Skal Announcement - Reference

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am

Players of Skal,

After careful consideration, we have come to the decision that our current approach to allow epic levels to remain on Skal is not performing as we had hoped. We have noticed that high-level players have an excessive influence on the island's trade and narration, which is not fair to other players who are still developing their characters.

Therefore, we have decided to cap Skal to level 19. We understand that this change may be disappointing for those who have already reached higher levels, but we believe that it is necessary to ensure that Skal remains a fair and enjoyable experience for all players.

When we implement this change, we will be capping the level across the entire island. Players who are over level 19 will be given an opportunity to leave Skal and keep their XP or accept a reduction to remain on the island. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to make Skal a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

We understand that this change may raise some questions, their is a Q&A thread on the forums to make use of. But we want to address a few of the most significant ones here:

Q: "I already have an MoD because I wanted to stay on Skal! Will this happen on top of it?"
A: No. If you want to stay on Skal, a DM will lower your level appropriately and remove the MoD.

Q: "What if I'm visiting Skal from the mainland?"
A: Staying for a day or so is fine, but if we see you hanging around for longer than that, we may ask you to leave or delevel you if you don't. We hope to have a system
in place that will automate this in the future.

Q: "How will this even work?"
A: There will be a few steps. If we find someone of level 20 or over, we will ask them to leave Skal. They may have a day or two to finish up affairs then should go. If they say they wish to remain, we will delevel them to 19 and make a note of it. If they do not depart or we find them over level 19 again, we will delevel them to 19 and apply a freeze to that level until a time they leave Skal permanently. In the long term, we hope to have a mechanical option that will not need our intervention.

Q: "If my level is frozen, how can I have it lifted?"
A: We will remove the level freeze once you have departed from Skal on a permanent basis. However, as it is a punitive measure we will apply it indefinitely to individuals whom take advantage and continue to return to Skal with the clear intention to remain. Occasional and brief visits are fine once you reach 20 and above, just don't linger.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to make Skal a more enjoyable experience for everyone. If you have any questions or concerns about this change, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are more than happy to answer any queries you may have.

Thank you for your continued support, and we hope to see you on the island soon.

Sincerely,
The DM Team

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Skal Announcement - Reference

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:48 pm

With the amount of time and energy that already goes into guiding, policing, and abjudjucating players in Skal, it's nice to see efforts towards automated processes, which will free up a lot of time for the DMs and the administration.

Kudos for moving towards this 💙