Shadovar and religion...

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Stargeek

Shadovar and religion...

Post by Stargeek » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:47 pm

For quite a while I've been intrigued by the thought of Shadovar and the way that they worship Shar and, overall, how different Shar's clergy is within the Shadovar as opposed to about everywhere else outside of the plane of shadow. Unfortunately all we seem to be given about Shadovar religion is Shar and there's a temple called the Fane of Shar. It feels a little to bare for a culture openly dominated by a clergy usually kept under wraps. It would be great to get a discussion going so other shadovar (especially other clerics) can have some ideas for their stories. A lot of this is basically my own head-canon to fill in blanks so bear with me.

I see it running sort of like a mix of the medieval Roman Catholic church and the Bene Gesserit from Dune with shadovar clerics of shar being seen as a cultural essential thanks to Shar's influence on them but of slightly less status in a magocracy, openly welcomed yet seen with suspicion as they're known to spy for the greater clergy and the Princes. The Fane itself is a massive cathedral, one of the most grand structures to Shar built by mortals, that holds regular ceremonies and sermons (which there are MUCH more of than the Prime churches), enforcing regular worship from most of the nobility and all of the commoners on pain of excommunication/exile, possibly more violent punishments depending on crime and status. Both high and low born shadovar can find a way to an influential life through the church, though rigorous tests of devotion to Shar are placed upon lower born and any trying to rise beyond a certain rank.

The church sees the Plane of Shadow as Shar's holy realm and see themselves as Shar's chosen. They're prone to automatically assume they have an authority over Sharran's on the Prime because of this, and that their small and secretive churches are but parts of the true church. This authoritative pride does not translate in to ignorance on Shar's reputation on the prime, and most clerics would still act with caution where it's due.

Now smaller details I can leave up to imagination but I'd really love to hear some other thoughts on this.

Mommy Talvana

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Shadovar and religion...

Post by Kuma » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:20 am

this is based

do it

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 am

if you haven't already, read the Mistress of the Night book. they are a bit like agents, really.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:35 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 am

if you haven't already, read the Mistress of the Night book. they are a bit like agents, really.

+1

It is a great book, as is the other in the series "Maiden of Pain" for Loviatar followers.

Stargeek

Post by Stargeek » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:12 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 am

I'm gonna add that one to my list, I know the general premise but haven't actually gotten around to reading it.

Mommy Talvana

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:57 pm

Stargeek wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:47 pm

For quite a while I've been intrigued by the thought of Shadovar and the way that they worship Shar and, overall, how different Shar's clergy is within the Shadovar as opposed to about everywhere else outside of the plane of shadow. Unfortunately all we seem to be given about Shadovar religion is Shar and there's a temple called the Fane of Shar. It feels a little to bare for a culture openly dominated by a clergy usually kept under wraps. It would be great to get a discussion going so other shadovar (especially other clerics) can have some ideas for their stories. A lot of this is basically my own head-canon to fill in blanks so bear with me.

I see it running sort of like a mix of the medieval Roman Catholic church and the Bene Gesserit from Dune with shadovar clerics of shar being seen as a cultural essential thanks to Shar's influence on them but of slightly less status in a magocracy, openly welcomed yet seen with suspicion as they're known to spy for the greater clergy and the Princes. The Fane itself is a massive cathedral, one of the most grand structures to Shar built by mortals, that holds regular ceremonies and sermons (which there are MUCH more of than the Prime churches), enforcing regular worship from most of the nobility and all of the commoners on pain of excommunication/exile, possibly more violent punishments depending on crime and status. Both high and low born shadovar can find a way to an influential life through the church, though rigorous tests of devotion to Shar are placed upon lower born and any trying to rise beyond a certain rank.

The church sees the Plane of Shadow as Shar's holy realm and see themselves as Shar's chosen. They're prone to automatically assume they have an authority over Sharran's on the Prime because of this, and that their small and secretive churches are but parts of the true church. This authoritative pride does not translate in to ignorance on Shar's reputation on the prime, and most clerics would still act with caution where it's due.

Now smaller details I can leave up to imagination but I'd really love to hear some other thoughts on this.

Mistress of the Night isn't what I would call an amazing book, but it does give a few hints to how some things Shadovar are. The Archwizards Return series is better, especially given part of that series is directly tied to our part of the timeline. At least before Rivalen nukes Tilverton. Their actual faith and habits are not widely known outside of the city of Shade, and given the harpers don't even get an inclination of it until late in the series for the Archwizards, people in the present day wouldn't know much of anything yet. Between feats of scrying on places they shouldn't be able to, and appearing in warded places before the Lords Alliance uninvited the Shadow Weave and the Shadovar are "Here with the government and here to help" types on the surface, while moving people like pawns behind the scenes. At least when they aren't engaged in direct action. This is likely representative of their being Shadow Adepts and having the Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, Tenacious Magic feats. Their spellcasting is alien, and their rituals are both old, and weird to the wider world; all while their leaders plot in their own ways conquest.

Mistress of the night takes place a few years after, so it's not something that happens in our Arelith Timeline but it does show how the Shadovar basically see people as expendable pawns. This book is more focused on Selune and the Dark Moon Pact than Shar, but it does drop some hints, and show a small in setting insight to how ppl view the faiths.

Really neither book is amazing, but the Archwizards is the more fun of the two to binge. A nice cheeseburger and shake not a gourmet steak imo.

Candlekeep has a lot of nice bits about Shadovar and Sharren faith + rituals and holidays too if you care to browse.