New Player Quickstart Guide

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

New Player Quickstart Guide

Post by Twohand » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm

So, you want to play Arelith. This guide should give you a few initial tips and pointers without, hopefully, being too overwhelming. If you want a more detailed explanation about the server's mechanics and systems (not the intention of this guide), please, refer to these links, Wiki's New Player Guide and Rules.

The Game World

The game's starting point is the year 1372 of the Forgotten Realms 3.5 timeline, after the resurrection of Bane but before the Silence of Lolth, so nothing canon after this point has happened, as the timeline diverges. This means that the Feywild, the Shadowfell, Dragonborn, Thay as an undead realm, Baldur's Gate 3, and several other concepts introduced by newer D&D editions are not canon here.

The Arelith archipelago itself can be found in the Trackless Sea, south of the Moonshae Isles and west of Amn. While characters can reach level 30 in the server, their power level, when compared to the setting's lore, is at most level 15, so expect to challenge dragons and high-ranking fiends, but not demigods and deities in general. Here's a map.

Character Creation

You can play many types of characters, from the base Neverwinter Nights races to monsters and other unique figures, although bear in mind that certain races, in an effort to keep them rare, are restricted behind Awards.

To enjoy the server, you do not need to make the most optimal character, you can just hit the play button and have fun, but if you want an easier time and/or you want to know more about mechanics (Arelith does change and tweak many of NWN's systems), you can just ask away in the server's Discord. Check out the links below:

The Servers

For performance reasons, Arelith is divided into several servers, but they're all part of the same world and you can travel freely between them. You can start in any of them, but some options are locked behind certain choices you made when you created your character.

• Skal (Distant Shores server): An island far to the north of Arelith with an enforced low level environment. Here, characters can only reach level 19, at which point they should depart. It's a popular spot for new characters and players alike, but bear in mind that, due to the fleeting nature of this particular setting, roleplay can differ a bit from the rest of the server.
  • Cordor (Cordor and Planes server): Before the addition of Skal, the city of Cordor used to be the starting point of all characters in the surface of Arelith, and it remains a strong option. There is plenty of content for low level characters and roleplay opportunities, but unlike Skal, here you will find characters of all levels around the city, so finding an adventuring party of appropriate level takes a bit more effort.
  • Brogendenstein (Surface server): While anyone can travel to Brogendenstein, only Dwarves, Halflings, and Gnomes can start here. It has content for new characters and it is home to a close-knit, supportive community.
  • Sencliff (Surface server): Arelith has sailing mechanics. You can rent and buy ships, sail around with your friends, fight other ships (PvE and PvP), plunder islands, find lost treasures, etc. While anyone can be a sailor, in the island of Sencliff you can be a pirate with unique quests and everything. You can learn more about it here.
  • Guldorand (Guldorand server): This city is surrounded by level 15+ content, only characters who spend a Normal Award can start here.
  • Andunor (Underdark server): If you want to play a Drow, a monster, or a bad guy without worrying too much about a paladin stabbing you, this is the place, but be sure to take a look at this link, as there are a few things to be mindful of.

Gameplay

You created your character, you chose a starting place, you spawned in and... now what? Well, Arelith is a roleplaying server, and that means you can create a thief and pickpocket people around the city, or maybe you'd rather play a gnome who prefers to spend his time in the nearby theater practicing their stand up comedy routine instead of adventuring. Those are all valid options, but since this is D&D, most players will certainly want to focus on adventuring, gaining levels, treasures, and loot. Here's a few tips:

• Archetypes: Some builds just focus on clicking on the enemy until it dies, while others require you to push a lot of buttons. As a new player, this can be a very overwhelming topic, so I'll give you a general overview.
    Melee: Characters who smack things with a melee weapon, they come in two flavors: those who focus on strength and those who focus on dexterity. The former are a good choice for starters because they do good damage and can carry lots of things, while the latter can pose a challenge to new players because they do less damage and do not boast of higher defense early on, but do not think rogue-ish types are bad, not at all, they're just late bloomers.
    Ranged: If you use a bow, a crossbow, a sling, darts, etc, you're here. While ranged characters can be quite powerful, they're also late bloomers, and can be particularly challenging for new players since you start without good defense and damage output. If you want to play such a character, I highly recommend you to get acquainted with this wiki article, it explains in detail how ammunition works.
    Spellcasters: Like a ranged character, most casters also do not boast of a good defense, although they can be built for that, but with limited spells at level 1, what do you do? You summon things to fight for you. Outside of Invokers, all casters can summon creatures. They will guard you from attacks and they're also strong, so if you focus on buffing them with a runic sequencer (you start with one in your inventory), you'll go far. A good pick for new players.
  • Writs: Grinding and killing NPCs is a good way to get XP, but writs are just as important as they are quests which reward you with gold and a lot of XP. They are offered by certain NPCs often found in taverns, but not always, so be sure to ask other characters around for tips about finding the local "writ NPC". You can only do 3 of them per 19 hours, but pirates, assassins, and knights of the Radiant Heart can do +1 bonus quest unique to their respective factions.
  • Buffs: Making sure your character has the right buffs is often the difference between life and death when adventuring. Since most, if not all, characters tend to invest in the Lore skill, they can use many low level magical scrolls right away. When starting out, here's a few good ones to have: Mage Armor (makes you harder to hit), Protection vs Alignment (makes you harder to hit and increases your saving throws), Magic Weapon (turns a blank weapon into a +1 weapon), Shield (harder to hit, but low duration), Lesser Restoration (removes ability penalties and certain effects), Summon Creature (like the name says). Potions tend to be cheaper, but often they are not as readily accessible as scrolls are. Here's a few good picks: Barkskin (harder to hit), Shield, "Zoo Spells" (Bull's, Cat's, etc. They increase your ability scores), Clarity (makes you immune to mind spells and abilities for a short duration). Be sure to hoard any other potions you find.
  • Lockpicking: Maybe you want to play a barbarian brute who's all brawn and no brain instead of a rogue. Even in this case you should consider investing at least 1 point in Open Lock and Disable Trap, because if you buff your Dexterity and equip yourself with gear that boosts your lockpicking skills, you'll be able to unlock lots of treasure chests, and believe me, you'll run into plenty of them.
  • Bank: Don't walk around with your money unless you mean to spend it on something, deposit it in the local bank, otherwise you can lose it if you die. Also, did you know you can take a loan? Your bank account may show 0 gold, but you can still withdraw 1000 coins.

FAQ

1) I can't log in. Every time I try to, an error message pops up.
Try changing your username to something more unique. You can do that in the settings: Options > Game Options > Multiplayer > Client > Player Name.

2) Every time I log in the server, I have to download the NWSync stuff all over again.
You are very likely using OneDrive. In the Neverwinter Nights folder located in your Documents folder, look for a file called "nwn.ini". If any of the entries listed there mention the OneDrive folder, delete it like this: HAK=C:\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak to HAK=C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak

3) Character textures look very wrong and crazy.
Disable "Graphics Experimental Generate Plt With Shaders" in the game settings: Options > Game Options > Graphics > Advanced.

4) Oh no, my character is stuck!
Try the command -makesafe.

5) My character walks and runs but they're stuck on the same spot.
Shut down the game completely and launch it again.

6) My character doesn't run, they're stuck in walking mode.
Looks like you just did a Courier writ. Try toggling Detect Mode on and off, or try doing the same with the command -alwayswalk.

7) Every few minutes I get a message saying that the gods are ignoring me.
Your character has low piety. Look at this wiki page.

8) My friend died, can I resurrect them?
You can do that by casting or using a scroll of either Raise Dead or Resurrection on them. If you don't have any of those, you can bring them to an altar. Drop the body next to it and, on the altar, choose the Pray option and wait. Player-made altars do not count, you can tell that by their [Take Object] menu option.

9) Where can I find a Prismatic Mirror to edit my outfit?
You don't actually need to find one, just press R to open the Rest menu. You'll find there an option to customize your outfit.

10) My jewelry box is suddenly so heavy, it's weighing too much.
Look around for a Container Repair Station but, if possible, buy an Enchanted Jewelry Box instead, those are much more reliable.

11) I want to craft something. How do I do that?
Check this wiki page out.

Last edited by Twohand on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:21 am, edited 9 times in total.