How to Prevent Question Marks When Copy-Pasting from Google Docs

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kessarin

How to Prevent Question Marks When Copy-Pasting from Google Docs

Post by Kessarin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Many people use Google Docs to plan out their speeches, musical performances, sermons, etc. Unfortunately, when copy-pasting straight from Google Docs into the game, seemingly random question marks will appear in place of apostrophes and quotation marks. Since we're taught to change the cadence of a sentence when a question mark is present, this often makes for confusing (and hilarious) reading.

The problem is something called Smart Quotes, which is a default setting in Google Docs. Smart Quotes are the adorable curved apostrophes and curly quotation marks, which look great in a document but aren't able to be replicated in NWN's text rendering.

Google Doc: Image
NWN: Image

Thankfully, solving this problem is quite easy! While in Google Docs, go to Tools → Preferences → General and simply uncheck the Smart Quotes box. Apostrophes and quotation marks become straight, non-curved lines, which then can be copy-pasted without issue into NWN.

Google Doc: Image
NWN: Image

And there you go! Now, the only question marks that will show up are the ones that are meant to be there. :)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: How to Prevent Question Marks When Copy-Pasting from Google Docs

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:53 pm

Well, this is a game changer. Thank you so much for this!

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: How to Prevent Question Marks When Copy-Pasting from Google Docs

Post by Crookedblossom » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 am

Whaaaaaaaat!!!

This is amazing, thank you so much. This is the cause of so many headaches and re-writing.

Very cool.