Druids - Protectors of Balance

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Valo65

Druids - Protectors of Balance

Post by Valo65 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 am

Originally posted by myself on Arelith's previous forum.

I hope that this thread will help people figure out what druids are all about, and help those who are planning on/already are playing one figure out their concept. Comments, suggestion, criticism, etc. is welcome.
The fury of a storm, the gentle strength of the morning sun, the cunning of the fox, the power of the bear – all these and more are at the druid's command. The druid however, claims no mastery over nature. That claim, she says, is the empty boast of a city dweller. The druid gains her power not by ruling nature but by being one with it. To trespassers in a druid's sacred grove, to those who feel the druid's wrath, the distinction is overly fine.

Like clerics, the druids of Faerun receive their spells from a particular patron deity, always a deity of nature or animals. However, druids do not necessarily see a clear division between nature and the divine forces that run through nature. While many people think only of forests when they think of druids, druids care also for the mountains, deserts, lakes, and even the swamps of Faerun.
(Note: On Arelith, it's okay to not have a deity as a druid, you instead select "Toril" from the book of deities.)

The path of a druid is a path of a loner. They live out in the wilds, often in their own private groves far from civilization and even the circle of druids, often only returning to civilization to fetch supplies or get up to date on current events, or returning to the Circle to make reports, or hear them. From their groves, they watch over the land, preserving it from defilers like poachers, necromancers, and even threats from other planes.

First and foremost, a druid owes his allegiance to the natural world. A nature deity has a vested interest in ensuring the natural world remains balanced and generally unchanged, and so grant spells to druids with a far longer leash than they would grant to clerics, paladins, or divine champions. One may know a druid for many years and not know what deity they serve, unless they look closely at the druid's general style of preserving Balance, which is usually influenced by their choice in deity.

Balance
One will often hear a druid talk about Balance. The Balance is, at its simplest, the general stability of the forest/region/world/plane/planes. Anything that threatens this stability is thus threatening that which a druid is sworn to protect.

It is important to note that any and all outsiders (beings from the Outer Planes, not to be confused with Elementals from the Inner Planes) are a threat to the Balance, and they, along with those who summon them, are a Druid's enemy. This is because Outsiders come from planes that generally emulate some abstract ideal, like Law, Good, Evil, Chaos.

The presence of these Outsiders on Toril poses a threat to the Balance, because not only do they belong on their own world, while here, they will slowly change the areas they inhabit to more resemble their own world. This is bad even in the case of Celestials and other good/lawful beings, as my druid said: "Let Celestia be Celestia, let Toril be Toril."

Elementals and creatures from the Inner Planes often naturally appear on Toril, and thus the presence/summoning of them is not necessarily a threat to Balance, but may become one if taken too far.

Get your hands off of my deer!
Many people think that if caught chopping down a tree or hunting a deer, a druid will get mad and bite their head off. This is generally not the case, but not always, certain evil/fanatical druids may take an extreme dislike toward civilization and those who live there, and hunt them down. For the most part, hunting for food to feed one's family or village is natural. Everyone wants to feed their families, even animals. Chopping down a section of forest, though not strictly natural, is accepted by druids for the purpose of farming, and druids often assist farmers, warning them of coming trouble.

A druid will not look kindly on poachers killing for pelts or sport, nor upon a nation setting fire to a neighboring kingdom's forests as an act of war, and will retaliate violently against such people. The forest, after all, is a druid's home, they live there, and want to protect it.

Totems
A Totem druid is a druid who felt such a bond with a particular animal, that they almost become one in spirit. It results in significantly more powerful abilities in the animal shape of their totem, but similarly weaker abilities in their human form. Note that totem druids lack the Creature Weapons that non-totem druids have, meaning that you will provoke Attacks of Opportunity if you lack Improved Unarmed Strike, and casting Stoneskin or Premonition will not allow you to bypass Damage Reduction, as it would for a non-totem druid. It will still work on your summon and animal companion, though.

Also, a Totem druid is a Totem druid. As is mentioned on the wiki, there was once a wolf PC, who was just a wolf, not a druid, but a 5% rolled wolf. Your character has a bond to the animal you chose, and may begin to act and think like the animal (hunting in a pack for a wolf, laying in wait for ambush as a spider, etc.), and some may begin to think of themselves as not truly human (or elven/dwarven/whatever) anymore, but instead something in between. A Totem druid is not an animal.

City Druids
There is no rule stating you cannot play a "City Druid." Canonically, any druid who spent too much time in civilization, or aided it at the expense of the wilds, would lose their powers, and/or be hunted down by the other druids.

I ask (as a player, nothing more, this is not a rule) that those of you who want to play a druid, play a druid for more than their mechanical strength, but for the roleplay of playing a druid. A druid lives in the wilds, and that isn't very limiting at all, there are a vast number of concepts you can make that live in the wilds yet are unique, fun, and interesting.

Those of you who want to have ties to nature but lack the patience for spending most of your time in the wilds, I recommend playing a cleric with the Animal and Plant domains, and worshiping a nature deity. It's about as strong as a druid, you get the best of both worlds, and you are believable, unlike a City Druid. The server could certainly use some clerics of nature deities running around, and you guys would be perfect for the job, as it wouldn't be much of a change from what you already are.

This is not to say that druids never enter town. They can and should from time to time, to get up to date on current events, and perhaps do some trading (gold is okay for a druid, it's just another tool to them, useful in getting by).

Final Note
I am an advocate for people going all the way with their concept. Don't be half a druid, go out and preserve the Balance to your dying breath. Spread the faith of Tyr, holding holy ceremonies and travel the land to ensure justice is done. Smite all evil as your paladin, regardless of the odds. Uthgardt Barbarian? Never use the enchantment basin. Ever. Your warlock has a pact, use it to further a plot, make your character revolve around it and weaseling your way out of it in order to accomplish your goals. Playing a thief? Don't be afraid of getting curbstomped by an epic level, get out there and start robbing people. Banite? Hold up everyone you meet, demanding to know if they fear Bane, and if they say no, intimidate them, if they continue to claim fearlessness, beat the crap out of them with your bare hands. (Masterly Brass Knuckles that read "FEAR BANE" backwards are mandatory.)

That's how you become awesome, not by only going partway with your concept. Tolerance and carebearism will leave you with a mediocre character. Nothing wrong with that, you just won't be awesome. It just means someone else will have to go off and be the adventurer/hero/villain.

Don't be afraid of being disliked by a few people for being aggressive about doing what you made your character to do. You can never please everyone.

Finally, some links you may find helpful.
http://www.escapefromundeath.com/forums ... .php?t=256
http://coa.ender.com/viewtopic.php?t=9076
http://wiki.arelith.com/Druid
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Druid (Be sure to look up all your spells, many of them have abilities which are undocumented IG)
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druid (A great read, I highly recommend it, note that a small amount of it is 4e, and may not apply)

Thank you for reading, I hope you found it useful.
Last edited by Valo65 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

MuchachoReno

Re: Druids - Protectors of Balance

Post by MuchachoReno » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Think this is a really solid post. Hope it is strongly considered and helps fuel any related characters on the server. Got a few more points to apply IG for more authenticity now

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:18 am

Valo65 wrote:City Druids
There is no rule stating you cannot play a "City Druid." Canonically, any druid who spent too much time in civilization... would lose their powers, and/or be hunted down by the other druids.
Yeah, nope. Flagrantly untrue. According to the 3e DMG, how many druids would Cordor (a small city) be expected to have in it? I'll give you a hint: dozens. In fact, you would expect to see as many druids in the city as you would clerics of all faiths combined. For as long as there's been a druid class, it's been a part of that class that a significant portion of druids oversee local agriculture and serve as advisors to leaders, from town aldermen to kings.

I have no idea where this idea of "city druids are wrong" came from, but it has zero basis in either the core rules or FR canon.

Edit: math fix.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 am

Everything I've ever seen, done, and read in NWN and D&D suggests the opposite, Rystefn. Druids live in the wilds, for one to live in a small village occasionally isn't a big deal but they hold the same sort of mystery about them as Jedi in Star Wars or the Greybeards in Skyrim.

That said, do what you want. Arelith is beholden to neither D&D or NWN canon.

Personally I cannot fathom why anyone would play a druid who is in and around cities for any great period of time barring extreme circumstances. I've only ever seen it done well once in a decade of RP'ing and that was when the druid in question installed a puppet government that would do whatever he wanted.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 am

Then read the DMG. Then read the PH. Then read them for 2nd ed. And 1st ed. This isn't new, it's always been that way. Really.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Chalan

Post by Chalan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 am

What advice would you give to a character that has only 3 levels in druid and the rest in other stuff?
She is nevertheless a druid, but most of her levels go into one or two other classes.
Echoes from a shadow realm, whispers of things yet to come. Thought's strange sister dwells in night, is swept away by dawning light...
Arelith (FL)

Renney77

Post by Renney77 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 pm

I like OP's idea of how druid should be, alot. I believe they should look on the people of the cities as possibly rivals and like said, Druids should rarely venture into cities. That is my personal take on them and how I would play one but obviously to each their own.

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 pm

I fail to see why I should read 2nd or 1st edition D&D for a game that is 3rd edition. Anyway, all my stuff is 3.5, not sure how great a difference there is between 3.5 and 3e lore, if any.

As I said in the original post, there is no rule saying you cannot be a city druid. Do it if you want to and will have fun doing it.

Anyway, for a character who only has 3 druid levels?
Druid/Fighter: Knight of Balance - Using heavier (non-metal) armors and often wielding sword and shield, this druid operates as a crusading knight or stalwart guardian of the wild areas of the world.
Druid/Rogue: Saboteur - The saboteur has, for whatever reason, gained skills suited for life in the cities and wilds alike. Whenever the greedy forces of civilization threaten the Balance, this druid is ready to ensure their plans fail.
Druid/Wizard or Sorcerer: Shaman - Blending the arcane and divine, the Witchdoctor pursues power in the stranger places of the world, utilizing more primal and ancient techniques and rituals to protect his grove.
Druid/Barbarian: Nature's Fury - Being one with the wilds requires that one act like the wild things. The Druid/Barbarian gives themselves fully to their primal instincts as they draw on nature's power.
Druid/Ranger: Hunter - These druids are far more focused than their counterparts, and many probably were wronged in some way by their chosen prey. For whatever reason, they hunt a handful of enemies almost to the exclusion of all others, believing them to be the greatest threat to Balance.
Druid/Cleric: Nature's Avatar - These druids fervently uphold the dogma of their god, pursuing a state of balance most in line with their own religion.

Chalan

Post by Chalan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks for the ideas. :)
Echoes from a shadow realm, whispers of things yet to come. Thought's strange sister dwells in night, is swept away by dawning light...
Arelith (FL)

MuchachoReno

Post by MuchachoReno » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:26 am

There are a couple of points that are clear here. For starters, Arelith has no restrictions on Druids. If they wished they may wear full plate and wield a great sword and suffer no penalty, live in a city and engage in political ventures.
That lack of limitation opens up a whole world of options but, personaly, I am very much inclined to fall into line with Valos65 views and most enjoy seeing Druids following these trends (most of which I had been attempting to implement in my playing but was refreshed by some good outlooks on things like elemnentals).

As said, there is pretty much a Druid that watches over every area, Mountains, deserts, swamps (in theory) and would love to see this concept met before a batch of city Druids fill the mix and fall into the same RP that so many other classes have, detracting from the Druid classes unique and individual style.
Never has RP been facilitated so well mechanically for dwellers of the wilds and I for one would love to see it thriving with the contrasting interest of the themes that featured in the OP.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:38 am

Originally posted from the old forums by Izzit, the below information is also IG posted in the [FOIG], as well as other perspectives on "what a druid is"

What is a Druid?

A druid is a caretaker of 'the Balance', one who oversees a region or specific set of terrain in order to ensure that life thrives, and one who seeks out and destroys abominations or abnormalities in these regions whenever possible.

Druids are bound by very specific oaths (which most of you have already probably taken, and are mostly too lengthy to get into at this time!) in order to keep themselves down-to-earth, and on the right path. However, in order to keep from Falling from the path, it's very important to understand WHY you uphold these oaths. Those who Fall from the path are to be pitied, and guided back when possible.

An important note to make, before we get too distracted by other topics, I'll just make a point right here and now. Many druids eventually gain the power to take the skins of other beasts for themselves, to change their forms far more completely than a wizard ever manages to. Do not delude yourself here. You are not an animal. You are not a panther, an eagle, a bear or somesuch. You are a human, an elf, or whatever the hells you actually are. Man was not made to live two lives. Use this gift to aid in the upkeep of the Balance, not to fulfill your own childish fantasies.

What is a 'Shadow Druid'?

The term 'shadow druid' refers to any of the misguided souls who believe that nature will overcome civilization entirely, and that the best course of action is to expedite the process. Violently. Does your neighbor spend his time poisoning wells, praising Talona, spreading locusts in farmer's fields, and passing out diseased blankets to orphans? Chances are, your neighbor is a Shadow Druid!

These fools are to be pitied and guided back to proper behavior whenever possible, and shunned (or their actions mitigated) when not.

The Balance

No point is more greatly debated than "What is the Balance?", though that question is quite simple to answer. The Balance is not nature. The Balance is not forests, or fuzzy woodland animals. It is, plain and simple: Life.

Imagine the Balance as a bowl of water positioned atop a wobbly legged table. The table shifts, the bowl moves, and perhaps some of the water spills out. Likewise, natural places change. Environments shift to better support life. The bowl cannot possibly contain all the water in its new position, so it rids itself of some in order to keep the rest: soil degrades and a forest dies, a grasslands becomes a desert. These changes are not to be fought against, so long as they are plain and natural: every environment will change itself in order to support life as efficiently as it can. Trying to force it to support more than it can on its own, is simply wrong.

The duty of a servant of the Balance, a nature-priest or druid, is to ensure the bowl is never emptied completely of its water (of life), and to encourage water to eke back in when it can stay on its own. Plant your shrubs, spread those wild grasses about... but don't force them to grow. If they take and stay on their own, then you've done your part. Foster and guard life where you can, and the Balance thrives.

Druidic Organization

At the top of the druidic hierarchy, are the 'Archdruids'; those experienced men and women charged with organizing and leading a Grove. They organize and head up moots (gatherings), and as they're typically the most experienced druid, their opinion is to be respected (but not followed as if law; when it comes down to it, each druid rules himself). Typically, the archdruid should know at least a little bit about each and every environment near their Grove.

Next in importance come the Hierophants, druids dedicated to taking care of a specific locale. Cordor, the Bitter Coast, and the Jungles, for example, might each have their own Hierophant. These druids spend their time wandering their chosen region, rooting out any aberrations and training any others who are interested in how to properly care for (or survive in) their chosen region.

Beyond that, seniority rules. Druids police and rule themselves, but never forget to respect those that know more than you, or have taught you. It is important that you don't let your independence become more important to you than doing what needs be done.

The Purpose of a Grove

Druids, typically, are not communal creatures. In most places, local druids will spend a great deal of time working on their own, in solitude, to further their causes as best they can. Groves, however, serve as anchoring points; areas in which druids gather, now and again, to discuss the status, or progress, of their charges.

Groves are safe places, havens, for servants of the Balance. Places of shelter, and warmth. Places to restock one's larder, enjoy conversation and camaraderie, before heading out once again into the solitude of the wilderness. Strive always to keep personal arguments and violence away from the Grove, for these are places to keep sacred and tranquil. A Grove is to druids as a Chapel is to Priests. Holy, and deserving of respect.

The Grove and Politics

While the Grove is a gathering grounds for druids, make no mistake about it - it is not a political state. Many former Archdruids only ever went wrong when they insisted on dragging the Grove into the political affairs of neighboring Benwick or Myon. The politics of cities and towns are none of our concern. Our concerns are, first and foremost, the state of the Balance on the entire island (including in the Cities, yes), and everything else is absolutely secondary to this goal. Even individual loyalties. Do not argue, do not complain - this is the lot you've chosen in life.

If the Grove can aid in curing a magical disease, intercede. If the Grove can aid in setting up hunting and logging regulations, intercede. If Trintiren accidentally belched fire onto the High Priestess' draperies, and the Lord-Protector of Benwick declares war and calls for the druids to aid him? Keep out of it. The Grove, as a whole, has no part in politics.

Individual druids may do as they please, meddle as they so choose, but only if their actions do not harm or endanger the Grove's political apathy (I choose this term very specifically. Apathy. Not neutrality. A-p-a-t-h-y.).

The Importance of Investigation

As a general rule, it's always best to observe before you act. Make certain you understand every nuance of your decision before you make it, whenever possible. Small actions can have big effects. You have many tools at your disposal to aid in investigation; the plants themselves, the local wildlife, your fellow man, and the ability to wildshape.

Scenario: A man has been coming to the Forest of late, and cutting down several trees before hauling them off. He does not reseed the land after cutting. What do you do?

A rash reaction would be to violently drive him off. Congratulations, you just stopped him from finishing building his house. Now he, his pregnant wife, and young child have no place to stay during the long, cold winter. You just killed two children. Monster.

Better to try and educate him on the importance of replanting what he cuts. While the Forest is large, it must be sustained, both for itself, for woodland creatures, and for future farmers. Go so far as to help him plant the new trees yourself, even!

On Things as They Are; Stability

Rather than seeking to change things to suit your purposes, whenever possible attempt to think of new ways things can be used in their natural state; putting them to further use without changing them. This is always the preferable course of action.

Yes, you could cut down that tree and make a very nice chair out of it. But why go through all the hassle? Just spread out a blanket, sit with your back to a comfy spot on the trunk, and allow the spread of the branches to blot out the sun - two in one! A natural chair, and an umbrella!

The Undead

All druids understand that they're supposed to revile the undead, but very few of them ever bother to question WHY that is. But whats the point of an oath you don't understand? It's always important to ask questions, and to seek out the meaning behind things.

We don't hate the undead because they're "evil" or "abominations, or even because they're "unnatural" (indeed, many undead creatures are even created by naturally occurring diseases). It's true that they are many, or in some cases all of these things, but that is not why we must take so hard a stance against them.

We must oppose them because they take. They take, and they take, and they take, and they give nothing back. They will 'live' forever, never enriching the ground, never feeling cold, never feeling heat, able to bluntly force their way into any delicate web of life without ever being part of it. Always seeking to feed, to rend, to kill, to end life just to get some semblance of sustenance for themselves. They always take, and never give back. They fill no niche, they have no predator, they have no purpose. They are anathema to Life, to the Balance. A hole, a void. Destroy them, and consider it a mercy.

Disease

Disease can be a very useful thing. Overgrown plants, or overswelling populations can be cut down to sustainable levels, so that life doesn't choke out life. Certain types of diseases, however, have a tendency to hurt more than they help, so they must be eradicated whenever possible.

Lycanthropy is one such curse. A wildshaped druid can control himself, he is still a man. A loup (werecreature, that is) cannot. He is truly a beast - and no man, ever, should truly wear two skins. Man was not meant to live two lives.

Any disease that shatters or twists the mind must be wiped out. Rabid animals can, while normally docile, go on homocidal rampages - attacking creatures much bigger or more intimidating than them. This poses a clear threat to the natural order of things. When encountering a creature who's mind has been shattered and twisted as a direct result of infection, kill it. And burn the body.

Unnatural disease is the last category one must look out for. Magical Disease. Manmade plagues. Things manufactured by humanoid hands for the sole purpose of killing. These things cannot be suffered, and must be destroyed whenever they are found.

On Cooperation and Understanding

No single viewpoint can encompass the whole of the world. No single man can know everything. There is too much for a single pair of eyes to take in, and too much work to be done for a single pair of hands to handle everything. Cooperation is a natural necessity.

When many viewpoints meet, they mix and meld, taking on the best aspects of the others that they meet. Thus, the Balance can be upheld that much more efficiently. But when many viewpoints meet, there are always many diametrically opposing viewpoints to be found. I'm not asking for Nobanites and Silvanites to hug and wed each other; but at the very least, try to UNDERSTAND each other's viewpoints. Understand why Nobanion teaches proactivity, and why Silvanus holds dear to neutrality and waiting.

When this is done, and childish arguments and bickering can be set aside due to mutual understanding of each other, then the Circle can move forward and progress can finally be made.

On the City

Many druids abhor the city, thinking it the most unnatural plague on Faerun's face. Of course, you're bound to have a few idiots in every social gathering. The Balance doesn't cease to exist in some place, simply because a man erects a house. Life can be found, and will strive to thrive, anywhere.

Take a glance about a city next time you enter it. What do you see? Greenery clinging to walls, grasses forcing their way up through cracks in the cobblestones in some places. Potted plants and fenced-in trees, perhaps a park or two. Humans, elves, dwarves, dogs, cats , mice, squirrels, birds, insects. Predator, prey; the city has a lifeweb of its own, an equally intricate tapestry of creatures living off one another. A city is simply an ant colony, on a massive scale; all creatures, after all, need a home.

Like all environments, the Balance in cities needs careful caretaking as well. Try to limit the negative impact the city has on the surrounding environment: organize logging regulations, help clear designated areas for farmers rather than allow free sprawl, encourage and teach hunters how to make use of more parts of their kills. Plant gardens, to bring greenery into the stone nest. To truly serve the Balance, is to see that life thrives as best it can anywhere. Even in cities.

On the Killing of Animals

You see a man kill a deer. So what? Hunting is acceptable, when done for sustenance and on a small scale. Help hunters to understand how to put to use more parts of their kill - teach them how to make needles, buttons, and arrowheads from the bones. Show them how to properly work hides. Encourage them to salt down some of the meat, so it lasts longer.

Intercede only in a few cases, such as when hunting is undertaken on large scales, and always peacefully when you can. Educate the hunter. Explain why hunting regulations are important; why kill three deer, when one will feed your family for a long while? Leave the rest to procreate, and you'll have food again on the morrow rather than just
today.

If peaceful education fails, and the hunters continue their destructive habits, then it's time to drive them away by force of arms. They are now a threat to Balance, to the livelihood of life. No threat to the Balance may be tolerated.

On The Hunt

A few nature deities specifically promote The Hunt, amongst them Nobanion the Lion King, Solonor Thelandira of the Seldarine, and Malar the Blackblooded Pard. All of them promote it for somewhat similar reasons, but through radically different ways.

They all see it as one way to filter out the utterly weak, those beyond help or salvation (Nobanite dogma including a direct reference to mercykilling), and as a way for one to obtain sustenance. Only the Strong Survive. A sad, but ever true, law. When only strength remains, the pack remains ever strong, and each successive generation grows a little bit better.

---

Personally, I like the above text... In fact I liked it enough to save it for my own personal reference. And it has been my own choice to play my druid PC's with the above text as my own foundation. -not saying this is the right way, just the way I like best.

Props to Izzzit for his perspective.

~K
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:06 am

His perspective is that of his character's. It was posted IG and I think this point deserves emphasis. It's sort of like trying to OOC'ly explain what a paladin is vs a paladin coming up to the podium and talking about what paladins are.

In particular I disagree with the "Shadow Druid" thing, as what is written above is in fact the position of a (presumably good aligned) member of the Heartwood Grove. I feel it's an important distinction to make.

Druids are allowed to wage war against civilization, this in no way goes against their oaths, and evil druids (and some Chaotic Neutral druids as well, especially among the wild elves) do this.

Of course, being an evil druid does not mean you must do these things. Alignment has (or should have) minimal impact on what a druid does. Their oaths and duties in general are the same no matter what.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 am

after speaking with Izzzit about this compilation Back when I re-introduced a condensed version of it back into the game, he had mentioned it originally was in a book he made and there might be a few copies floating about the server in some character's inventories.

It definitely rings of "One Druid's Perspective" -but even reading it as a 1st person IC text using specific examples from the Arelith game campaign, I don't see how his perspective (regardless of being written IC or not) holds any less or more weight than any other perspective offered here.

I know You cite in previous posts here D&D and NWN canon supporting your own text, and Rystefn offered some disagreement citing his own sources of 3e, and 2ed Druids...

I've got em all also, like many of us who have boxes of these books. I definitely recommend the, FR Campaign Sourcebook though there isn't a whole lot of meat specifically about druids there. Some good info from 3e in "Masters of the Wilds" has good tidbits, but mostly deals with prestige Classes and alternate builds, additional feats and spells. The AD&D Complete Druid, in my opinion has the best and most complete information on Druids, and although it was written specifically for 2nd Edition Rules, 80% of the book is background information specifically on Druids, different types, etc.. etc.. If anyone wants to learn about druids, go to eBay and pick up a copy. They are dirt cheap, and are an EXCELLENT source of D&D background on Druids.

Now, granted a lot of what you write you say comes from 3.5 edition rules, and in this little Custome Campaign of Arelith we all participate in, I have yet to find anywhere that states we are holding true to any SPECIFIC rules for defining a class. 3e? 3.5ed? 4ed? ... even the original Dragon Magazine where we first saw one of the earliest appearances of Druid as an Cleric-Sub Class? -any of these are fair game.

I think you've got a lot of good points in your original post, Valo, you've definitely done some reading, and have invested some time holding a Druid Character Sheet in your hans. No denying it.

Personally, I find the interpretation of Izzit MOST in tune with my own interpretation after 30 years of my own D&D experience. I've not played a TON of Druids, but I've played my share, and I've played alongside LOTS of really well played Druids over a kabillion table-top campaigns.

Anyone reading this who is trying to gain a bit of insight in how to play their OWN druid? well, my suggestion is read all that is here... follow some of the good links, maybe even go buy one of those Complete Druid books off ebay (they are cheap, and are GREAT reading in the bathroom!) ;)

I can say with experience on Arelith, that Izzit's interpretation that I've copied above is VERY VERY VERY close to how the current Heartwood Grove druid circle is. -so if you want to know why the Heartwood doesn't JUMP to come to the aid, or WHY many groups talk ill of the Heartwood or it's "Lack of Action" -well... re-read Izzzit's text above, and you'll know why.

-again, Props to Izzzit... and also you, Valo, for all y'all's good insights! And I hope we see more druids up by the Silver Glade!
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 am

Well could you also describe druids of these deites?

Talona
Auril

Cause they have very, very speicific background (Ice, poison/plague). I would like to see how it approachs balance thing.

Faye

Post by Faye » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:00 am

Jumping in unwanted:

I once played a Druid of Talona. She had a spider companion, and a small vial of poison. Her tending to the bushes was sprinkling a little of the substance every time.

A Druid of Talona wouldn't seek to destroy forests, rather, she'd seek to fill the wild-lands with Her vile creatures. Bees, spiders, wasps, snakes...she would ensure the survival and the strengthening of these. She'd live within the depths, where the air is thick, brewing poisons and potions and cursing any who'd dare to interrupt. Protector of her own balance, she'd meter tests by poison, and would even cure it, if another had proved their worth. Each day venturing anew to find another mandrake, another hive, to slowly make the forest uninhabitable by any but the faithful and Her beasts.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Likewise, your Aurilite druid would say things like "The flower fears the winter, but eternal summer would be a blight on the land worse than any you can imagine. Winter comes whether you will it or no. Grow strong, or perish."

Some druids come off as cold, and aloof to the problems of the world. Many Aurilite druids would have all that in spades and plenty extra besides. Others are more ragey, promising wrath and ruin to those who don't offer Auril her due (much like clerics do).

Since all Aurilite druids are evil, you're going to get them somewhere between callous indifference and outright malice, or both. But they're still druids. There's a natural cycle to the world, and winter is part of it. And you, as an Aurilite druid, are the embodiment of that part of it. Both the servant and the master of it. Other people may not like it, they may not understand it, but they will respect it.

Bonus points for working in the phrase "winter is coming."

Faye

Post by Faye » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Now I want to play an Aurilite Druid. Rystefn! *Shakes fist.*
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Here are my opinions:
Talona - Use poison and disease to deal with threats to the Balance. While a Malarite might hunt down a pack of wolves that grew too large, or a Silvanite might interrupt their hunts with castings of entangle and similar, the Talonite may inflict a plague on their prey which will then spread throughout the wolf pack. They do not necessarily favor one species over another, unless they are Totem Druids. Even Totem Druids must not upset the Balance, however, by allowing their species to overwhelm an ecosystem.

Auril - Mostly found in the frozen climates, and largely apathetic to what happens beyond their tundras and mountains. When forced from the mountain to deal with an issue of great importance, they will likely be extremely bitter and aggressive, even toward fellow druids who they are likely not to agree with on how issues should be handled. They are no more theistic than any other druid, and while a particularly arrogant Aurilite druid may demand offerings, they do not all do this. In the frozen climates, they are likely similar to Talonites and Malarites in that they believe in survival of the fittest, and are often pitiless.

Druids are not clerics. Druids can be clerics, but they are not all like this. Not even most. When they are clerics as well as Druids, they need to be mindful not to allow their faith to corrupt their druidic oaths. They are sponsored by a god, and they approach their duty in a manner colored by their god's dogma, but they are not a servant of their god.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 am

Valo65 wrote:Originally posted by myself on Arelith's previous forum.

I hope that this thread will help people figure out what druids are all about, and help those who are planning on/already are playing one figure out their concept. Comments, suggestion, criticism, etc. is welcome.
The fury of a storm, the gentle strength of the morning sun, the cunning of the fox, the power of the bear – all these and more are at the druid's command. The druid however, claims no mastery over nature. That claim, she says, is the empty boast of a city dweller. The druid gains her power not by ruling nature but by being one with it. To trespassers in a druid's sacred grove, to those who feel the druid's wrath, the distinction is overly fine.

Like clerics, the druids of Faerun receive their spells from a particular patron deity, always a deity of nature or animals. However, druids do not necessarily see a clear division between nature and the divine forces that run through nature. While many people think only of forests when they think of druids, druids care also for the mountains, deserts, lakes, and even the swamps of Faerun.
(Note: On Arelith, it's okay to not have a deity as a druid, you instead select "Toril" from the book of deities.)

The path of a druid is a path of a loner. They live out in the wilds, often in their own private groves far from civilization and even the circle of druids, often only returning to civilization to fetch supplies or get up to date on current events, or returning to the Circle to make reports, or hear them. From their groves, they watch over the land, preserving it from defilers like poachers, necromancers, and even threats from other planes.

First and foremost, a druid owes his allegiance to the natural world. A nature deity has a vested interest in ensuring the natural world remains balanced and generally unchanged, and so grant spells to druids with a far longer leash than they would grant to clerics, paladins, or divine champions. One may know a druid for many years and not know what deity they serve, unless they look closely at the druid's general style of preserving Balance, which is usually influenced by their choice in deity.

Balance
One will often hear a druid talk about Balance. The Balance is, at its simplest, the general stability of the forest/region/world/plane/planes. Anything that threatens this stability is thus threatening that which a druid is sworn to protect.

It is important to note that any and all outsiders (beings from the Outer Planes, not to be confused with Elementals from the Inner Planes) are a threat to the Balance, and they, along with those who summon them, are a Druid's enemy. This is because Outsiders come from planes that generally emulate some abstract ideal, like Law, Good, Evil, Chaos.

The presence of these Outsiders on Toril poses a threat to the Balance, because not only do they belong on their own world, while here, they will slowly change the areas they inhabit to more resemble their own world. This is bad even in the case of Celestials and other good/lawful beings, as my druid said: "Let Celestia be Celestia, let Toril be Toril."

Elementals and creatures from the Inner Planes often naturally appear on Toril, and thus the presence/summoning of them is not necessarily a threat to Balance, but may become one if taken too far.

Get your hands off of my deer!
Many people think that if caught chopping down a tree or hunting a deer, a druid will get mad and bite their head off. This is generally not the case, but not always, certain evil/fanatical druids may take an extreme dislike toward civilization and those who live there, and hunt them down. For the most part, hunting for food to feed one's family or village is natural. Everyone wants to feed their families, even animals. Chopping down a section of forest, though not strictly natural, is accepted by druids for the purpose of farming, and druids often assist farmers, warning them of coming trouble.

A druid will not look kindly on poachers killing for pelts or sport, nor upon a nation setting fire to a neighboring kingdom's forests as an act of war, and will retaliate violently against such people. The forest, after all, is a druid's home, they live there, and want to protect it.

Totems
A Totem druid is a druid who felt such a bond with a particular animal, that they almost become one in spirit. It results in significantly more powerful abilities in the animal shape of their totem, but similarly weaker abilities in their human form. Note that totem druids lack the Creature Weapons that non-totem druids have, meaning that you will provoke Attacks of Opportunity if you lack Improved Unarmed Strike, and casting Stoneskin or Premonition will not allow you to bypass Damage Reduction, as it would for a non-totem druid. It will still work on your summon and animal companion, though.

Also, a Totem druid is a Totem druid. As is mentioned on the wiki, there was once a wolf PC, who was just a wolf, not a druid, but a 5% rolled wolf. Your character has a bond to the animal you chose, and may begin to act and think like the animal (hunting in a pack for a wolf, laying in wait for ambush as a spider, etc.), and some may begin to think of themselves as not truly human (or elven/dwarven/whatever) anymore, but instead something in between. A Totem druid is not an animal.

City Druids
There is no rule stating you cannot play a "City Druid." Canonically, any druid who spent too much time in civilization, or aided it at the expense of the wilds, would lose their powers, and/or be hunted down by the other druids.

I ask (as a player, nothing more, this is not a rule) that those of you who want to play a druid, play a druid for more than their mechanical strength, but for the roleplay of playing a druid. A druid lives in the wilds, and that isn't very limiting at all, there are a vast number of concepts you can make that live in the wilds yet are unique, fun, and interesting.

Those of you who want to have ties to nature but lack the patience for spending most of your time in the wilds, I recommend playing a cleric with the Animal and Plant domains, and worshiping a nature deity. It's about as strong as a druid, you get the best of both worlds, and you are believable, unlike a City Druid. The server could certainly use some clerics of nature deities running around, and you guys would be perfect for the job, as it wouldn't be much of a change from what you already are.

This is not to say that druids never enter town. They can and should from time to time, to get up to date on current events, and perhaps do some trading (gold is okay for a druid, it's just another tool to them, useful in getting by).

Final Note
I am an advocate for people going all the way with their concept. Don't be half a druid, go out and preserve the Balance to your dying breath. Spread the faith of Tyr, holding holy ceremonies and travel the land to ensure justice is done. Smite all evil as your paladin, regardless of the odds. Uthgardt Barbarian? Never use the enchantment basin. Ever. Your warlock has a pact, use it to further a plot, make your character revolve around it and weaseling your way out of it in order to accomplish your goals. Playing a thief? Don't be afraid of getting curbstomped by an epic level, get out there and start robbing people. Banite? Hold up everyone you meet, demanding to know if they fear Bane, and if they say no, intimidate them, if they continue to claim fearlessness, beat the crap out of them with your bare hands. (Masterly Brass Knuckles that read "FEAR BANE" backwards are mandatory.)

That's how you become awesome, not by only going partway with your concept. Tolerance and carebearism will leave you with a mediocre character. Nothing wrong with that, you just won't be awesome. It just means someone else will have to go off and be the adventurer/hero/villain.

Don't be afraid of being disliked by a few people for being aggressive about doing what you made your character to do. You can never please everyone.

Finally, some links you may find helpful.
http://www.escapefromundeath.com/forums ... .php?t=256
http://coa.ender.com/viewtopic.php?t=9076
http://wiki.arelith.com/Druid
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Druid (Be sure to look up all your spells, many of them have abilities which are undocumented IG)
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druid (A great read, I highly recommend it, note that a small amount of it is 4e, and may not apply)

Thank you for reading, I hope you found it useful.
Thank you for this excellent post. I enjoyed the reading (and learned/refreshed concepts too!)
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am

There seems to be a lot of personal opinion on what a druid is and isn't, but overall I enjoyed the information posted! Good thread. I tend to use my own experiences as an environmental scientist to RP my druid and her interactions with nature and 'the balance', usually this is perfectly inline with most nature based gods (Sheela in this case) and the druidic oathes. It's also important to remember this is a very simplified version of DnD and a videogame, so giving people the benefit of the doubt to ensure FUN is an important part of being a good roleplayer. If you think too deeply into it, there's literally nothing short of us all leaving the isle of Arelith that we could do to avoid causing a natural imbalance.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm

A sample of "City Druid" could be one available to sacrifice himself to inhabit the city taking in charge the care of its gardens and watching so the city never extend outwalls to destroy more forest or wilderness...

There are several/neverending posibilities...

Also.. I missed the known Druid/Monk... and this build makes sense in RP meanings too:
The monks hermits who live in the forests... Perfecting their personal capacities at the same time as expanding their conscience with the nature in an interior and exterior search to join the Toril's Spirit, the Spirit of the Creation.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

sarithia

Post by sarithia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Look guys, just play a druid however you want and if the DM's don't like it, they'll say something. AS a player of a none-typical druid, I haven't been flamed yet at all and she's still going strong a good few months down the line as my first character.
The subject of city druids is a bit bizarre. I think they're allowed... for one, Cordor is allied with a pretty good nature faction that patrols the residing area, so to initially get on your high horse and be all 'CITY DRUIDS ARE NOT ALLOWED' is a bit ridiculous. Another, it not only limits RP to some extent, its inhibiting the player of allowing some flexibility with their characters. Neverwinter is a game, if someone wants to play a druid but does not want to limit themselves (expecially considering the nature factions are pretty cliquey at times and druid is a rare class that Ive noticed) then I say go ahead and play a damn druid. It'll be nice to see some life breathed into the class, tbh.

As for deities and druids, the two things you keep in mind as a druid - the balance and how your character can affect it and why are they a druid? Why aren't you a cleric that simply has a nature domain? Keep in mind, druids don't have to just be confined to the forests and the trees. It can be mountains, the sea (I got told of a pretty cool boat captain that was a druidess once) and the desert, as just a few examples.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]