Link track recognition to lore checks for identifying race

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Itikar

Link track recognition to lore checks for identifying race

Post by Itikar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:51 pm

I think that the recent implementation that gave Deep Imaskari human tracks was great. It was really silly to see people identifying them from tracks alone. Especially when the very same people would probably not be able to pass the lore check to identify them as Deep Imaskari in the examine window.

I propose therefore to go a step forward and extend a similar system to the tracks of all races.

Specifically I would like for tracks, both on footprints and on other things like blood stains or destroyed fixture, allowing a character to identify only a race that they can identify that way in the regular examine.

I.e. if one's lore is not able to identify halflings, gnomes, elves, goblins, etc. they should only see the parent race, not the subrace.

I believe this would fix discrepancies where one can identify forest gnome or duergar tracks when they have never even met a member of said race or would not be capable to truly tell them apart if they saw them in the flesh. IMHO it makes little sense that if one cannot identify a member of a race in front of them, that they can do the same from tracks.