Unique Race/Class Slots

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

Hazard

Unique Race/Class Slots

Post by Hazard » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 am

After reading the suggestion (viewtopic.php?f=15&p=318882#p318882) which I agree with and support fully, even as the player of a currently shelved vampire (one I shelved specifically so other people could get to play their vampires!!) I have some ideas of my own.

I see a problem with Arelith's hard cap on population of certain things. Vampires in this case, but it applies to anything.

Let's say the cap for vampire is 10. There's more than 10 vampires.
There's always going to be more than 10 vampires.
People aren't really going to delete their reward chars after waiting years, sometimes over a decade to luck out and get a major. Some people might who really just don't care about those things, but evidently most people won't and so eventually that cap will be occupied by the amount that won't and it will stay at that population indefinitely. That's a fact. I mean, just look. I'm not going to. Doesn't look like most others are either.

With a hard cap on population, we're essentially waiting for people to -delete_character and it's just probably never going to happen. There is no incentive for someone to delete a reward char, especially greater or majors. They're far too difficult to get, whether through normal organic rolls or even just intentionally leveling and rolling chars.

So my suggestion is:
Give people some incentive. A reason to delete their characters. Got a major? If you delete, you'll get a greater at least. It's less but it's something, and with clever and active rotation between major and greater races (depending on population) you'll see more character turn over and less hoarding of reward race slots.

Keep rotating greater and major races. Everything in major, when its population is low enough should be a candidate for being moved to greater. Everything in greater when its population is high enough should be a candidate for being moved to major.

Treat major and greater tiers as population (and reward) control. When something becomes a major, it can now be turned in for a greater.

Normal and minor are fine, given their names. Normals are .... well, normal. Everyone gets them all the time. You just need a 30.
Minor is just a nice little something instead of nothing. These tiers are fine.

Being able to delete and make something new a tier lower would help a lot imo. It would have a net result of fewer special-snowflake characters, more free slots, and actually give a realistic and reasonable reason for people to want to give up these characters that isn't just gambling. A major can be traded in for a greater.

Consider these changes longterm. Imagine they're already in place and have been for years.
Instead of people just sitting on any majors that they're lucky enough to get, majors will be rolled when something someone wants to play moves from major to greater, or if greater already offers something to them.

Hypothetical scenario. Let's say we have too many tieflings again in the future. Uh oh!
Now there is a solution. You move tieflings to major. Now that they are major, people can roll them to get a greater instead (races we do not have too much of). Too many vampires? That's fine, some will be rolled because people want to play something that is in greater. A low amount of Firbolgs or something? Move them from Major to Greater, encourages rolling of other majors.

As long as Greater and Major races are rotated based on how many of them we want in the world, I think this trade-in sort of incentive will be a lot more effective than just hoping people delete the luckiest thing that's ever happened to them on Arelith.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Unique Race/Class Slots

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:08 am

As I understand the points of this

1) When deleting a major award pc, you're guaranteed a greater award at least
2) Swap around greater/major award options according to amount of people playing them.

Well, the second point we already do. Every six months (approx) I check the numbers and attempt to raise at least one race that is a greter to a major (ideally an oversubscribed one) and then lower one of the Major races to a greater (ideally an undersuibscribed one).

This this bit is handled unless I'm missing something. And it's for more or less the reasons you say. To encourage people to spend awards, and to honestly give people chances to play races that they wouldn't otherwise.

At the moment we don't have any hard limits on 'how many of x' we're allowed, except Vampire and Rackshasa... and to be fair we've never really had an issue with epople oversubscribing to Rackshasa, just Vampire.

And honestly - at least at this time, I'd really rather NOT put any sort of hard numbers on other races, they're a headache enough with the two above. Limiting other races more may certainly be something we revisit, but however it's done tends to be headache inducing in some way.

Also the main reason for limiting 'special' characters is that as some have put it 'We don't want arelith to be a zoo.' And this is a fair point, and whilst i do get the intent of guaranteeing that majors rolled get at least a greater, it in a way doesn't help /that/ much with teh above, because the 'zoo' like aspect potentially remians, just the colour of the creatures switched up.

With that being said... as i mentioned I'm not keen on putting hard limits on any other race right now... and we're hoping to add more none-racial awards... perhaps even at a Greater and Major level, going forward, which might alleviate things a bit more.

I think that point 1) might be possible to implement for Vampires and perhaps Rackshasa. It has some possiblity and I can talk to the team about it and will fully approve/reject the suggestion based on the feedback I get.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)