Craftable generic +4 weapons

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

sneksnek

Craftable generic +4 weapons

Post by sneksnek » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:24 pm

I'll try to keep this short and sweet as I can for brisk reading.

Most of the craftable +4 weapons come with a class, alignment, or race restriction. Some of these are sensible for the balance or curtailed theme, but others seem arbitrarily gated. If you're not of the themed alignment or race, or you're a mundane without UMD, it's tough luck. So it forces one to plan their character around the weapon, which I think is sometimes a needless limitation.

For example, if you're looking for a one hand martial 19-20 +4 weapon, you may look at the Anarchic Razor or Avernus' Rebuttal. Both of these are fine choices, but they're evil-locked. One may turn their head to light flails for the goblin scourge flail, but see it's restricted to goblins. With a bit more desperation, they could find Assuran's Retribution. While a great choice, that too is locked to Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil.

With these choices, if one doesn't have UMD, or isn't evil, lawful, or a goblin, they don't have a +4 19-20 weapon to use. Some players might be able to find an applicable choice for their character and alignment, but others will be left out because their character simply doesn't fit the theme. There are more examples, but I don't want to have this be too long.

Generic lootable +4 weapons do exist, but they don't pack the same power as some of these craftable choices. Also, they're a bother to find.

I would suggest the addition of more generic +4 weapons that hold a similar punch to current choices, or releasing some of the restrictions on current weaponry.