Disconnect Slavery and Portal Access

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

perseid

Disconnect Slavery and Portal Access

Post by perseid » Sun May 21, 2023 9:27 pm

Right now the slavery system is in my opinion in a worse state than prior to the enforcement change around self-slaving. This is because self-slaving wasn't actually a problem in my opinion. Most people abusing it were also rapidly removing themselves from the system once portal access was acquired. In this way the actual quality of slave rp wasn't particularly effected. What the enforcement change has done is actually /encourage/ shallow slave concepts and willfully exposing oneself to the risk of being enslaved.

This is because being a slave IS STILL A HUGE ADVANTAGE. Being a slave is an incredible boon to any character and it is pretty much entirely because of the portal access. As a consequence of the enforcement change there's even more reason than ever to make any eligible new character a slave since doing so deflects a certain amount of potential scrutiny. These new characters /do/ linger as slaves awhile and in turn drag down the quality of slave rp because they aren't actually there to rp slaves they're there to get their portal access and levels while they're at it (may as well after all) and then bust free because gaining freedom is still dirt easy. What's more, it completely undermines changes like the adjustment to the Ogrefist Tradepost portal because tons of planned slaves end up being anti-UD anyway so the change becomes completely ineffectual against anyone who planned their concept out (which is a very large amount of the playerbase).

The most obvious solution would be to give slaves something akin to Smugglers that they can lose access to when they go free and in my opinion this is the ideal solution because right now we're for some reason cracking down on people who were having a minimal effect on slave rp while actively encouraging people to make slaves or become enslaved for the wildly useful mechanical benefits of which there's still no real oversight beyond checking if you had a plausible reason beyond "I wanted to" for why you got clamped.