Change to Colossal Weapon Feats

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Change to Colossal Weapon Feats

Post by Svrtr » Thu May 25, 2023 1:12 am

Hello, greetings, and good evening/morning/afternoon/indeterminate hour

I realize now I placed it in feedback before, but I initially mentioned consideration be given to let colossal spear benefit from 2h feats as well as polearm.

However, I will be more general now.

Put simply, unless it was changed, last I tested it the colossal hammer only benefitted from 2h and not 1h concussion. This on its own isn't the worst, but is rather unfortunate as there are quite some nice 1h concussion weapons for builds such as the goblin flail or warmaces (though they were approved to benefit from 2h).

Similarly, the colossal spear only benefits from the polearm line of feats but not 2h. This itself is unfortunate too, for while there are some great polearms that are polearm only such as the pikes, spears (looking at you elder meme), and pikes, but then you are locked out of 2h and it makes it rather unfortunate and niche.

There is already a precedent for the eventually to be renamed Concussion line of feats to have 1h and 2h options both, and similarly for polearm benefitting from either polearm or 2h such as with the orc double weapons, and given that the large size maluses of -1 AB and AC exist and small races can go 1h edged and choose all the medium sized 1h edged weapons or concussion weapons to twohand and then the small and tiny ones to use in one hand and have this flexibility combined with +1 AC and AB and +4 hide/ms/spot/listen, this flexibility is a fantastic boon for non WM builds and non sig weapon builds.

Conversely, large races can do this with the 2h feats but are unable to use tiny weapons at all, already can't use large weapons in the offhand currently for dual wielding, and get -1 AC and AB and -4 hide/ms/spot/listen, and the colossal weapons are one of the nicer aspects of being a large race not for their mechanical strength as they are good but not crazy as of currently, but are stylish.

With this said, I think adding colossal hammers to the 1h edged category as well as 2h and letting colossal spears benefit from polearm or 2h would allow for versatility in the case of the former and a nice bonus option in the case of the latter without adding anything crazy. An option that already needs to contend with the other 3 colossal wepaons.