Give Dread Pirates a mechanic for UD access

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

perseid

Give Dread Pirates a mechanic for UD access

Post by perseid » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:15 am

Right now there aren't a lot of reasons to be a Dread Pirate. On paper it looks like there's reasons! You get access to the entirety of the Sencliff Estate which includes a portal at the top, you get the ability to bid on Sencliff's private ship leases, and you even get free rides from the smugglers. In reality however none of these perks actually give a real incentive to be a Dread Pirate. The Estate itself has storage but it's communal so no sane character keeps important things there, the Estate portal is such a long walk that you'd do better taking a smuggler to Rayne's Landing and using that portal, free smuggler use is just not that significant given the limited list of locales that can be reached and the already low cost of using a smuggler, and the private ship leases are... well there's only two of them so for the vast majority of Dread Pirates they may as well not exist as a perk.

To address the above observations, I think that giving Dread Pirates an expedient way to reach Andunor would be good. This could be portal access, it could be something like the Saltspar ferryman allowing them to cross into Greyport in the same fashion as regular UDers, or it could even be some other entirely different travel system. But I think any such option would help provide an answer to the question of "Why would I ever want to complete my Sencliff ink?"

I realize that pirates aren't meant to inherently gravitate towards the UD but right now pirates who want to blend in with surface settlements already avoid Dread Pirate status anyway. It could be argued that there's the Freeport for Dread Pirates on the surface but I would contend that there's a strong chance you'll be attacked there too if recognized by characters from other settlements who are passing through or who simply want to hunt pirates. Thus I feel such a change would primarily advantage pirate characters who were already going to lean in the direction of the UD anyway without complicating things for pirate characters who weren't.