Portal Lens (mechanical adjustment)

Completed suggestions should be posted here. Note that replies from other forum members are disallowed in this subforum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

somecritter

Portal Lens (mechanical adjustment)

Post by somecritter » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:36 am

Suggestion: Change portal lenses to function similarly to how yoinking now works. E.g. after selecting your destination, you must wait for an adjustable amount of time before the teleportation triggers.

This could be done for several reasons, and a few that come to mind:

(1) Address the current "lmao just use a portal lens, haha." meta.

(1a)
Some people are willing to carry out incredibly risky plays e.g., if you are a spy and you are caught, you can pull a lens and whoopsie, back to safety. Because of this, if you catch someone and you do not want them to lens but you wish to pursue roleplay, you feel the need to play aggressively, walk close to them, and have them on hostile to not break PvP rules. This can lead to unintended PvP that may not have happened, had the lens not been pulled out as a reliable 'get free out of every situation' card.

(1b)
You can ward teleportation, but far too often have I seen people running toward an area transition and immediately pulling the lens on the other side. This can be done if you are being attacked, or have just attacked someone and want to escape.

Keep in mind that when first the lens has been triggered and the conversation window is open (which is more or less immediately), there is no practical way to stop the teleportation from happening.

(2) It could be a temporary hotfix for the exploit "keeping the conversation window open."

I've played plenty of spies and never have I felt my character was in danger because of this mechanic. Now, I could do better and just not use it to my advantage but I think it is worth evaluating the portal lens and how much its current implementation contributes to roleplay and story creation.