Why Tieflings?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Why Tiefling?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Mechanically they're one of the strongest classes. I'd love to play a Tiefling for the mechanics of it.
15%
It's the cool appearence! Horns! Tails! I want to stand out!
13%
The roleplay concepts of tieflings - the flexibility of where they can be, their inner strife, the edgyness - that's what appeals to me!
34%
A combination of the above!
27%
Other!
12%

Total votes: 94

charmcaster

Re: Why Tieflings?

Post by charmcaster » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:32 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am
And that's why I will always advocate for more moral dubiousness and fighting back against this mentality IC and why I personally will never play any good alignment outside of CG. Sometimes "the good" side makes me facepalm just how hardcore they will persecute a perceived slight.
Too much focus on good vs evil leaves the law vs chaos divide which should be just as prevalent and vicious in its own way, neglected. Bring on the extremes, I say!

Re: Why tieflings? Power build, easy slot in everywhere they want to go, neat customizations.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 am

I'd gladly delete 2 major characters in exchange for the chance to make a new tiefling character, that's how cool they are.

Can this be a thing to help cycle out old characters? Trade ins for 50% value? Turn in 2 of a token to get 1 of a token? Eh? Maybe instead an increased % at getting better rewards? I dunno.

Anyone?

Void

Post by Void » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 am

Hazard wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 am
I'd gladly delete 2 major characters in exchange for the chance to make a new tiefling character, that's how cool they are.

Can this be a thing to help cycle out old characters? Trade ins for 50% value? Turn in 2 of a token to get 1 of a token? Eh? Maybe instead an increased % at getting better rewards? I dunno.

Anyone?
You can refund the awards by deleting characters under level 11. This way if you try a concept and you don't like it, you can take the award back.

The situation with award races can be quite annoying though. Tieflings are my favorite race, in all my time on arelith I had no chance to ever play one.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 am

Void wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 am
Hazard wrote:

Anyone?
You can refund the awards by deleting characters under level 11. This way if you try a concept and you don't like it, you can take the award back.

The situation with award races can be quite annoying though. Tieflings are my favorite race, in all my time on arelith I had no chance to ever play one.
Yeah, RNG is nice and fair but also you can just be unlucky or not have time to grind as many rollchars out as someone else. Would be great if there were other ways to work towards getting that character you want, especially if it involves cleaning out old characters. It could form a sort of, incentive to delete characters.. as opposed to now where I just have no reason to ever delete any of my reward characters, because 1. Leveling is easy, if I really want to I can just level a new character and roll them instead, and 2. I will probably get normal rewards until the end of time, and I'd be kicking myself for deleting a major just to get a normal.

Maybe I didn't think it through, or I'm a big dumb.. but if we could for instance, trade in(delete) two level 30 major reward characters, in exchange for one .. that would reduce the amount of major reward characters being stored and popping up, while also encouraging turn over and something new.

Throw away a firbolg and a vampire, and get to make a tiefling sort of deal. Reward players/incentivise turn over.

I dunno. Or maybe that's a horrible poorly thought out idea and would just result in everything being ruined and bad.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:11 am

Hazard wrote:

Anyone?
A bit off topic, but this stood out to me because I think it's the beginning of a great idea. Anything that gets some of the older characters out of circulation is great. There is nothing worse than spending a good amount of time and effort building up an area only to have some old character come out of nowhere and be like "Who are you again? I am a fixture of Sencliff/Myon/whatever and have been here for years, you are just some new arrival", especially because they likely played a role in making the area boring in the first place. Arelith really needs to get to a place where longevity means nothing compared to activity and inclusiveness, because I really doubt that I am the only person that has just given up on trying to make a difference because of this very thing.

Anyways, side rant over :)

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 am

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:11 am
A bit off topic, but this stood out to me because I think it's the beginning of a great idea. Anything that gets some of the older characters out of circulation is great. There is nothing worse than spending a good amount of time and effort building up an area only to have some old character come out of nowhere and be like "Who are you again? I am a fixture of Sencliff/Myon/whatever and have been here for years, you are just some new arrival", especially because they likely played a role in making the area boring in the first place. Arelith really needs to get to a place where longevity means nothing compared to activity and inclusiveness, because I really doubt that I am the only person that has just given up on trying to make a difference because of this very thing.

"And you're just an old fart man who refuses to let go." I've been on both sides of this happening, and while it can make for some real bad blood OOC (which shouldnt be the case, but emotions is a strong driver), it's something that needs to happen from time to time, in more or less brutish manner.

As for people asking about Award changes, there's murmurs of staff wanting to rework Epic Sacrifice/Award giving. Problem is - it's hard to find a solution that would fit DM vision, so I doubt it will come any time soon.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 am

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 am

"And you're just an old fart man who refuses to let go." I've been on both sides of this happening, and while it can make for some real bad blood OOC (which shouldnt be the case, but emotions is a strong driver), it's something that needs to happen from time to time, in more or less brutish manner.

As for people asking about Award changes, there's murmurs of staff wanting to rework Epic Sacrifice/Award giving. Problem is - it's hard to find a solution that would fit DM vision, so I doubt it will come any time soon.
Just to be clear, my issue is not with long time active characters. If they are still doing their thing, then great. It's the people who say "hmm, location x is picking up, let me dust off my old character from that area and go toss my weight around" that really irk me.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:59 am

Hazard wrote:

Anyone?

I kinda miss the 10x time scale. Because an IRL year could significantly age a character and it felt things are slowly changing over time.

It would also be great to have an optional aging mechanic too or a way to track how much time has passed since character's creation.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am

I still want geriatric human models to be allowed for humans. Would love to play an old woman. This could be a normal reward!

Void

Post by Void » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:26 am

Hazard wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am
I still want geriatric human models to be allowed for humans. Would love to play an old woman. This could be a normal reward!
Male models have several "old man" heads where you can set hair color to, say, 16, and the result will look fairly old. White beard makes character look older, same deal if character is bald.

However, this sort of character will be a very spry old man.

With female models it is harder, but I think I recall some players successfully making a "plump grandma" sort of character by using fat body shape and white hair. You won't be able to make someone like Dragon Age 1 Flemeth, though.

If you're referring to npc models, those are likely similar to kobolds or goblins, meaning they can't display armor pieces.